Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I don't know but I feel like Bluetooth has gone to poo poo for me recently too. Super laggy controls, frequently just stops playing on my anker q45s. Used to be totally smooth sailing like 3 months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Carpet posted:

Turns out I can use my Local Guides 15% discount for the 7a, but I can't also get the current offer of a free Chomecast 4K. However, I can get up to £53 by trading in my 3a, or Cex are offering £70-90 for Grade B and A so might go with them instead.

Are you fixed on buying the phone outright or is A2 year contract an option for you?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DaveSauce posted:

Two questions:

1) Is there a recommended way to remote desktop in to an android device? This would be within the same network, not over the internet. GUI is important here, command line won't do it

I think Rustdesk supports Android in full now so you don't have to use TeamViewer, dunno how performant it is though

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

One week trip report on Zenfone 10: still kicks rear end. Battery life is about 30 hours with frequent use. Phone is one handed, but powerful and heavy enough to hurt someone if I threw it at them. Got it tweaked visually to feel exactly like a Pixel, the only Pixel features missing I think are being able to delete a background guy from photos and robo calling restaurants to make a reservation.

10/10 phone very good

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

smoobles posted:

One week trip report on Zenfone 10: still kicks rear end. Battery life is about 30 hours with frequent use. Phone is one handed, but powerful and heavy enough to hurt someone if I threw it at them. Got it tweaked visually to feel exactly like a Pixel, the only Pixel features missing I think are being able to delete a background guy from photos and robo calling restaurants to make a reservation.

10/10 phone very good

Magic Eraser is a tool in Google Photos fyi

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Soul Glo posted:

It's a Google One subscription perk unless you're on a pixel 6 or up.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

mcbexx posted:

For about a week now all incoming calls to my mobile (Moto G9+, Android 11) immediately go to a recording, stating I'm temporarily not available and I will get a short message about this missed call. I am receiving those short messages, so at least I know somebody tried to call me.

Quoting myself for an update.

EDIT: The Google App seems to be the culprit.
There even is a pinned official post in the german Android forum, but not in the english forums. Suggestion is to update the Google App (which breaks calls for me, but uninstalling all updates restores functionality back again).
Baffling.

Went and did a factory reset and system restore, being aware that this may not solve my issue unless I find out what exactly is causing the problen.

To my surprise, after the restore completed, I could receive calls again just fine.

Well, today calls suddenly all go back to a recorded message again.
I noticed that my (default Google) phone app icon had changed from blue to white, assuming due to an overnight app update, so I reverted the update, calls still get blocked/sent to "temporarily not available" message.

Now I'm combing through my list of apps to find what in the world might be the cause of this. I don't use any call screening or blocking apps like TrueCaller or other apps that are specifically designed to mess with incoming phone calls.

It's so weird that I can't find anything on Google about this.

The fact that everything went back to normal after a system restore and only broke later also means I can't go and try to root out the problem realistically by doing a clean sweep and install everything manually in batches, since the problem seems to be delayed. I would need to install a batch of apps, wait 24-48 hours (or maybe longer, because god knows what triggers the rejection of calls) before adding more apps to restore full functionality.

JFC it's aggravating.
What apps could possibly be interfering with my incoming calls?

Going through the permissions now and revoking access to phone functionality for everything that looks unrelated.

Edit: Are there any diagnostic tools/event loggers that could tell me "Hey, there was an incoming call and app X blocked it"?

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 23, 2023

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

sirbeefalot posted:

It's a Google One subscription perk unless you're on a pixel 6 or up.

Ahhh yeah I do pay for more storage

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
https://niagaralauncher.app/

Is indeed sweet, I prefer a minimalist approach and quick access to my favorite apps.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Are you fixed on buying the phone outright or is A2 year contract an option for you?

I haven't looked into contracts as I've currently got a SIM only service with Three Mobile - currently paying £25 for unlimited data but have been considering reducing that to 25GB for £14 as I don't normally use more than that in a month (or even their 120GB plan for £2 more). Looking at their contract deals, the phone is £20 cheaper over 36 months, but the plan costs more overall.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Soul Glo posted:

Oh wow! OK so the Zenfone 10 really is a Pixel 5 with better battery, processor and camera.

Long live tiny phones for tiny people

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

OptionalPirate posted:

Does anyone understand how Android interprets pause/play signals from a Bluetooth headset? My pixel has recently gone from being able to consistently remember and resume what I was last listening to (podcast, audible etc.). Now it will only ever resume playing music through Poweramp. So even if I pause my podcast for a second, when I resume I'll get music instead. This is android 13 btw.

Did any of those apps update recently?
Playback resumption can be weird. Normally it should resume whatever you were playing last but I've found certain apps always lose when deciding what to restart. A specific example is if I had Twitch running and connected to my car via Bluetooth Youtube Music will take over no matter what. The only way I could stop it was to disable the app entirely.
As a test, if you disable or uninstall Poweramp does resuming start working again?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I have a question for US dual-SIM users.

I'm potentially starting a contracting gig and I'll be able to buy/expense a phone, but I also don't want to dual-wield.

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to use with say Verizon on one and T-Mo/etc on the other? Will both be active for incoming calls simultaneously? Is it difficult to choose which SIM to use for outgoing? I plan on both of them being unlimited data, so I won't need to worry about data accounting, it's just keeping calls and texts sorted.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I can only speak for Samsung so take it as you will - Dual SIM is an excellent experience, especially being able to run seperate instances of messenger apps like WhatsApp/Telegram etc for each SIM. You set a preferred voice/SMS/data SIM of which data only really matters most of the time. The phone and messages apps make it easy to see which SIM you're using and swap what you use per contact/chat etc.

I've done this on an S10+ , and S21+ and now a Z Fold 5 for keeping work/personal seperated on a single device.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

They look like slabs and there's nothing inherently pretty or ugly about them.

I've felt this way for so long now. Phone comes out... it's just a screen with a case... and people just go "omg that thing is sooo loving ugly ewwwww."

I mean they all look nearly exactly the same except with a different camera hump. It's just so ridiculous.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Aware posted:

I can only speak for Samsung so take it as you will - Dual SIM is an excellent experience, especially being able to run seperate instances of messenger apps like WhatsApp/Telegram etc for each SIM. You set a preferred voice/SMS/data SIM of which data only really matters most of the time. The phone and messages apps make it easy to see which SIM you're using and swap what you use per contact/chat etc.

I've done this on an S10+ , and S21+ and now a Z Fold 5 for keeping work/personal seperated on a single device.

I was actually considering a Fold 5 in this case, so that's good to know. Thanks!

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Fwiw I run my personal as an eSIM and work provides a physical SIM. They no longer have dual physical SIM models I think, or if they do it may need to be a grey import.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Carpet posted:

I haven't looked into contracts as I've currently got a SIM only service with Three Mobile - currently paying £25 for unlimited data but have been considering reducing that to 25GB for £14 as I don't normally use more than that in a month (or even their 120GB plan for £2 more). Looking at their contract deals, the phone is £20 cheaper over 36 months, but the plan costs more overall.

Carphone Warehouse have some of the best deals available, though their network selection is limited to iD Mobile and Vodafone. I think iD Mobile is a virtual mobile operator based on Three, so it's definitely worth checking out.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Dessel posted:

edit: ColorOS 14 *seems* to have stock android media player according to some (imo bad) sources so here's hoping.

At least on Pixel the Media Controls on Material You/Android 12+ have the same base functionality of Android 11. Other than design the only functional changes (other than bug fixes + visibility settings) was that the compact player was removed in 13+ in exchange for gaining the ability to Google Cast directly from the source button.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Aware posted:

Fwiw I run my personal as an eSIM and work provides a physical SIM. They no longer have dual physical SIM models I think, or if they do it may need to be a grey import.

I'm expecting the Pixel 8 to be eSIM only ala iPhone, so I've been resigning myself to that idea already since I'm considering it if I don't pick up the gig.

eSIM + physical is fine for me, id probably keep Verizon on the eSIM because they seem to have the switching infrastructure pretty well in hand.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AlexDeGruven posted:

I'm expecting the Pixel 8 to be eSIM only

It's not.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Carphone Warehouse have some of the best deals available, though their network selection is limited to iD Mobile and Vodafone. I think iD Mobile is a virtual mobile operator based on Three, so it's definitely worth checking out.

I forgot Carphone Warehouse was a thing. The plan does look good but the Pixel I ordered from the Google Store arrived and I'm using it now :shrug: I'll have to remember them in a few year's time!

And speaking of my new phone, I'm getting a notification sound every time the track changes on Tidal - a long press on the media bar doesn't give me an option to mute it, and going into Settings > Apps and turning off all notifications for Tidal doesn't make a difference. Any idea what I'm missing?

edit: worked it out, it was the last dot fm app

Carpet fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 24, 2023

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

I'm expecting the Pixel 8 to be eSIM only ala iPhone, so I've been resigning myself to that idea already since I'm considering it if I don't pick up the gig.

eSIM + physical is fine for me, id probably keep Verizon on the eSIM because they seem to have the switching infrastructure pretty well in hand.

I'd note that I have no idea if stock Android can do the dual messenger app thing also, it was definitely a Samsung only thing that was a leading reason I bought in to their phones originally. Maybe it's been copied out to Android now I dunno. Just to be clear.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Aware posted:

I'd note that I have no idea if stock Android can do the dual messenger app thing also, it was definitely a Samsung only thing that was a leading reason I bought in to their phones originally. Maybe it's been copied out to Android now I dunno. Just to be clear.

can't you also do multi messenger with a work profile or something like insular?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
No idea. Haven't used stock Android for a long time.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

apparently you can't see which devices are connected to your pixel's hotspot tethering, just the number of devices connected? pretty stupid.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It's not.

Hmmm, then I'll probably have to go with something more specialized. Thanks for the note.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

blunt posted:

I've used scrcpy https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy before over USB with great success. It says it also supports doing it over TCP/IP but I haven't personally tried that.

This worked perfectly, thanks!

Didn't even require anything installed on the device side.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://9to5google.com/2023/09/25/pixel-8-actua-display/

A few more leaks. P8P is apparently going to have a display that can hit 2600nits of peak brightness and is a full 1-120hz LTPO panel. It also looks like the Pro is getting matte back glass finally. That's something sorely missed from the Pixel 4.

The Pro is also supposed to give full camera controls in a pro mode including full sensor output.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 25, 2023

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Also saw this. I wonder if it will be location specific again. I don't think we got the free watch in the U.S. last year, but rather credit which heavily discounted the watch. Personally I don't need another watch, they can keep it and discount the phone.

https://twitter.com/Za_Raczke/status/1706278725673726203?t=M8Aq38SPixHSZFj_1Y07aQ&s=19

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My Pixel 6 Pro seems to still be working fine. Battery life isn't like new, but hasn't fallen off a cliff like older phones. The speakerphone on the 6 is pretty terrible and not loud enough, did they ever fix this with newer models? On the fence about getting an 8 or just holding out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Last year it was a $200 google store credit with preorder of a 7 Pro (I think it was $100 with the normal) with the presumption that you would spend it on the watch. They also did free Watch with the Google Fold, so I would say that's likely going to be the promo this time around too.

Similarly, I don't need enough watch though I wouldn't mind swapping the OG for the 2 in the daily routine just to refresh it. The W5 is pretty snappy in watches even if I don't really expect it to extend battery life much. The Pixel Watch is also one of the most accurate wearables for sleep and heart rate (yes, even beating out Garmin) on Android so I'll be interested if that holds with the updated sensors. Just a shame it's so fragile.

I'm interested to see how the G3 shakes out given all the changes leading to unknowns.

It has an all new core arrangement, completely dumping legacy ARM versions. It's supposed to be on Samsung's newest 4nm process which is different from the 4nm process the SD8 Gen 1 was on and is said to be much improved. I'm skeptical on the reports though since usually the much improved metric was yields and that doesn't tell the whole story about a process node, but an improvement is an improvement.

While it's supposed to be using the same 5300 modem as the G2 phones, it's supposedly a newer version and integrated on the SoC package which could help things as far as efficiency goes.

The display stuff has me most hyped. It's not that I need 2600 nits, I really never found the current phones to be too dim, it's just that the brightness along with the 1hz LPTO panel makes me hopeful that the panel is newer and more power efficient. The display is by far one of the least efficient parts of the P7 series, so there should be some easy gains here.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 25, 2023

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I can't justify a Pixel Watch free or otherwise because my Garmin watch goes a week between charges.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, well I have a Gshock that does steps, heartrate, workout tracking, and notifcations and I haven't had to charge it since the initial unboxing 4 months ago!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Yeah I love my Garmin. The credit was nice to pick up some Pixel Buds Pro, since they're worth it after those credits.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I had a Garmin instinct solar and the regular feature were nice but the sleep tracking was absolutely awful and very inaccurate. wish they'd fix that cause I loved the watch otherwise. curious about the new pixel watch 2 as well cause I've been mostly satisfied with the first Gen.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, well I have a Gshock that does steps, heartrate, workout tracking, and notifcations and I haven't had to charge it since the initial unboxing 4 months ago!

do regular gshocks have activity tracking stuff now? I haven't owned one since I was a teen and I completely forgot they existed until seeing this mention.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hark posted:

do regular gshocks have activity tracking stuff now? I haven't owned one since I was a teen and I completely forgot they existed until seeing this mention.

Some do, some don't and sorting out which is which is just as confusing as sorting out the rest of the GShock lineup.

I have a DHWH5600 with a MIP display and it has heartrate and O2 sensors as well as all the accelerometer stuff. It can even do sleep tracking though I can't vouch for the veracity of any of the metrics because I've seen no specific tests. It's solar, but not tough solar (so it can't keep up with the battery consumption when everything is going full tilt.) But it's just in my watch rotation so it sits where it can get sun otherwise and I haven't had to charge it since I got it as a result.

Garmin stuff, I keep trying to convince myself to get a garmin watch and then I always back away with "why?" Given the abysmal sleep tracking algorithm, it's really hard to take all the body battery and recovery stuff seriously if it can't even track sleep stages properly. Heart rate tracking is also not great for a whole spectrum of exercise types. The GPS is top notch though. So it really seems they are best for tracking routes when outdoor running or cycling, pairing with an ecg chest strap to get the best picture of heart rate. I'm not a trail runner and I don't get on my bicycle as much as I would like, so about the only thing I would get from a Garmin is the extra battery life. But if I'm having to take it off to get accurate sleep tracking, then the long battery life really doesn't matter a whole lot.

Charge 5 and Pixel Watch seem the best for health metrics for me (just a shame you can't have both on your account unless you jump through some shenanigans). Though I prefer the galaxy watches when it comes to style and battery life (my Watch 5 Pro is crazy on battery life and can be a 3-4 day watch with minimal compromise. But Samsung sleep tracking sucks too and the rest of the fitness metric stuff is decidedly 'meh.'

Also, even after the better part of a decade collecting these health metrics, I still really don't know what to do with them or how knowing them helps me in any way.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Carpet posted:

I forgot Carphone Warehouse was a thing. The plan does look good but the Pixel I ordered from the Google Store arrived and I'm using it now :shrug: I'll have to remember them in a few year's time!

Sadly I'd be surprised if Carphone Warehouse (it's now part of Currys) is around in a few years. They used to offer deals with all the major networks, not just beating them on monthly price and data etc. but also offering 2 year contracts instead of 3 year like the networks' native offerings.

bull3964 posted:

https://9to5google.com/2023/09/25/pixel-8-actua-display/

A few more leaks. P8P is apparently going to have a display that can hit 2600nits of peak brightness and is a full 1-120hz LTPO panel. It also looks like the Pro is getting matte back glass finally. That's something sorely missed from the Pixel 4.

Any leaks on the regular 8 screen? I'm not convinced it's what drains my battery more than I think it should, especially where I work (100% at 0800, 68% by 1700, with very little use - I think the radios are just fighting with the tin box building I work in), but a 1Hz screen would still be pretty sweet.

bull3964 posted:

Also, even after the better part of a decade collecting these health metrics, I still really don't know what to do with them or how knowing them helps me in any way.

How else are you meant to prove you slept like poo poo unless your fitness tracker tells you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any leaks on the regular 8 screen? I'm not convinced it's what drains my battery more than I think it should, especially where I work (100% at 0800, 68% by 1700, with very little use - I think the radios are just fighting with the tin box building I work in), but a 1Hz screen would still be pretty sweet.

no LTPO on the regular P8 per this leak

https://twitter.com/Za_Raczke/status/1705918207486202126