Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

BonoMan posted:

Godfuckingdamnit do they not test this poo poo? It's the worst.
i test it every day by setting my caseless phone on flat surfaces. works on my machine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

US Mobile is considerably cheaper than Google Fi ($25 vs $65 is a no brainer) but US Mobile doesn't yet support LTE smart watches
i'm on fi with a 3-person unlimited plan and it's $80 for all 3 of us, that includes my lte watch

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Tremors posted:

This thermometer feature is silly but I love it.
how do i find it

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

thanks. lol that they kept the "health" name in it

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

You do not notice the crease at all when looking at a folding phone straight on.
maybe you have tricked your brain into not seeing it, but every folding phone i've gazed upon up to and including the flip 5 is an abominable eye-catching wrinkle in plastic with a smartphone behind it

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It's no different than tuning out a hole punch, a notch, or edges of a screen protector.
the hole punch still bugs me but it's not a line that goes through the middle of the screen. screen protectors bug me, too, which is why i choose not to drop my phone instead of using one and feeling that awful ridge

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

my media and notification volumes are at zero but messages still makes a sound when i send a message on my 8pro. what's the deal?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

does anyone use the work profile? i've avoided installing any work stuff on my personal device but android 14 seems to quarantine it so i guess that's ok. i went here and scanned the QR code and it added a new "Work" tab in my app drawer with a bunch of crap already in it. i wasn't asked for an account or anything. i tried to uninstall things we don't use like slack, zoom and skype but this happens

whatever, right? it's the work profile. i install Teams from the work profile play store and it starts up and lets me sign in, but tells me i need "Intune Company Portal" before i can use it with a helpful link to "Get the app." i bring it up on the play store and there's a "Your administrator has not given you access to this item." message. what's the deal? i removed the work profile entirely and started over, trying to install intune before anything else, and i get the same message. what administrator is it talking about? i haven't even signed in yet

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Your IT department needs to fix that. I use the Intune Company Portal to install work apps in their own sandbox. And don't worry about Skype, pretty sure it's not really installed, it's just available via work. You can't remove the option of it being there, but it does no harm.
that's impossible. i removed the profile entirely and started over and could not install Intune. it failed before even giving it my work email address. there's no way my IT department could have anything to do with it

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i did not have a work profile. i went to this page
https://www.android.com/enterprise/work-profile/
i scanned the QR code and my phone did a bunch of stuff by itself. it did not ask me for an account or email or password or anything like that. it added a "Work" tab to my app drawer with a bunch of apps installed by default. i was able to install Teams and other microsoft apps from the play store and they appeared in the Work tab. when trying to log in to them, i was directed to install Intune, with the message that i don't have access to it.

i figured i did things in the wrong order, so i removed the work profile entirely, which removed the work tab. i then scanned the QR code from the above android.com link and it did the default setup again. i went to the play store before anything else and tried to install Intune but the same message is there. i didn't log in to work, give it an email address or anything that could possibly tie it to work yet, so there isn't any "administrator" who could give me access

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Resdfru posted:

That qr code says it's for a demo so that's probably why. Go to settings on your phone and enable work profile there for the real thing.
ah well that explains it. can you be more specific about where i go in settings? i found that page by google searching because i couldn't figure it out. i have a pixel 8 pro

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i removed the work profile and was able to install intune, but i go to sign in and it tells me my device is going to be managed by my company. i thought the whole point of the work profile was to separate all that bullshit, and i have to have an extra app installed on the personal side of my phone too? i've avoided putting work stuff on my phone up until now, and i was hoping the new features would let me have it work the way i want

here's what i want
-no extra apps on the personal side of my phone. i have exactly 32 and that makes for 8 rows in the drawer
-for my company stuff to be separate so if they wipe it or whatever it doesn't mess with my personal stuff
-to be able to turn off work stuff so no one can bug me unless i enable it myself

is there a way i can do this?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

The remote wipe is just for the work profile. Your main profile is still yours.

Can't get around having the intune. You're going to have 33.

You can snooze the work profile as a part of base Android.
this answers everything, thank you

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

hooah posted:

For what it's worth, I don't have InTune in my personal apps. I actually don't have it in the work apps either, just "Company Portal".
it shows up as "Company Portal" on mine. i've started the setup and it fails when i try to enable device management, but that's a different problem i'll take up with my company

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Ragingsheep posted:

InTune/Company Portal disappears for me from the personal side once the work profile is setup correctly

Does your company's IT department have a guide you can follow to set things up correctly? Mine does and it was fairly straightforward.
it does and it was not helpful. i ended up opening a ticket. the support guy walked me through the process which is install all the work stuff as personal apps including intune, but not actually set it up. if i run intune and try to turn on the managed stuff it fails and apparently that's just how my multinational employer does things so i'm not going to use any of that poo poo. thanks everyone for the help

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

Edit: The way it *should work* - Install InTune Company Portal. Log in with work credentials and ack 2FA. Android Work profile gets set up and makes a Play Store available. Install Outlook. Log in to Outlook. Outlook takes device admin permissions including remote wipe (just for the Android Work profile). Install other apps.
after i log in with intune and do 2fa i have the "Access Setup" screen that has "Get your device managed" with a "BEGIN" button. Pressing that shows me what my company will be able to access and what they won't. the next screen has me allow the call permission, then it comes up with the "Activate device admin app?" system screen. when i activate that, i get a "registering" screen with a progress bar that starts to fill and then:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

right, i was just showing how it's busted. there are some times when it would be convenient to have teams but that doesn't tip the scales. if it's ever required i'll make them buy me a phone and plan

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

my 8pro would get real hot and drain battery at work but i turned off 5g and that fixed it

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

this is going to be an unpopular opinion but i miss the curved edges. i'm getting lots of accidental touches on the corners of my 8pro that i didn't get on the 7pro

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

withoutclass posted:

Because to me the content is not worth it and should it be paywalled or vanish I would not be worse off for it.
lol "it's not worth 50 cents a day but it's worth complaining about"
i watch a lot of youtube and it's def. worth it to not have to see any ads or worry about when my ad blocker will stop working or get me banned. i do use sponsorblock on desktop, though

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i'm no longer a teenager with lots of time and no money. my time to not have to watch ads or get involved in the ad/ad blocker escalation war is well worth the $23/month i spend for myself and family members. especially when compared to tv which is much more expensive and has ads. i do understand not wanting to see ads, i instead don't use the things with ads, or i pay to not see the ads

withoutclass posted:

For me, I watch maybe 1-2 videos a week and there are other avenues from which I could glean the same information.
so why aren't you using those instead?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

did any of you Honourable Pixel Warriors get the pixel tablet? it's on sale for black friday and it's tempting
i'm happy with it. performance is good, does what i expect. just a few minor complaints
  • weird size, i wish it was a little bigger or a little smaller
  • only 60hz
  • usb port feels like it's on the wrong side

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

repiv posted:

it's not like pixels are perfect in that regard either, i don't use gmail but pixels won't let you uninstall that AFAIK
it can be disabled which will take it out of the app drawer, i have mine down to 32 icons

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

repiv posted:

except when it isn't, such as the system level "web search" text selection shortcut always going to google regardless of your default search engine
that's because it's added by the google app. you can disable it and that option will disappear entirely

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

repiv posted:

okay but i want that shortcut and there's obviously a reason why they tied it to the google app instead of chrome (so they don't have to respect chrome's search engine setting)
it's not "tied to the google app," it's created by it. why would the google app add a menu to search with another provider? people were complaining in either this thread or the app thread about amazon adding something to the context menu. try installing bing or whatever to see if it adds what you want

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

that doesn't make any sense. the google app is for searching, chrome is for browsing. i installed firefox as a test, it adds the same option to the context menu as the google app, so android has to ask you which one you wanted. if you disable the google app with firefox installed, it will use firefox and not ask. chrome has nothing to do with it

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

repiv posted:

you're right why would i want to search in chrome, an app that has search integrated into the address bar and configurable search engine options, that's a stupid idea
you asked about the "web search" context menu, which is added by the google app (and firefox). if you're wanting to change the search engine used in chrome, it's near the top of the settings screen

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

what the hell is this? i am on call and want to hear text notifications, why do i need to have my ringer volume on?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

withoutclass posted:

Niagara launcher or bust. Folders on main screen, automatic showing of music apps when connecting Bluetooth, smart most used apps at the bottom of the list, and scroll the side of you need to go directly to a less used app.
it's interesting how people use their phones differently. i wouldn't use any of those features. all i want that the pixel launcher doesn't have is to be able to hide apps. i have 32 apps in my drawer and if i could hide 4 of them the rest could all fit on one screen. my 4 most-used apps are on my 2×2 home screen which never changes

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i installed the march update and now the app drawer is more spaced out and only shows 6 rows of apps instead of 7. this is bullshit

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

if they changed the size back to how it was and removed the search bar then all 32 icons would all fit on one screen and i wouldn't need to post about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It's pretty much the ONLY phone with such things. So you either buy that or compromise on one of your requirements.

I currently have 8 hours of podcasts downloaded for offline listening and it's taking up 750mb. Even 40 hours of download would be like 5gb, I don't understand why microSD storage is necessary for offline podcasts.
it doesn't matter because it's always the same deranged thing where people go "i need to carry all my media with me at all times on my always-connected device even though it's more than i could reasonably consume in a fortnight." they justify it by coming up with ridiculous scenarios the same way gun owners dream of being a "good guy with a gun." it's not actually harmful in this case so just let them suffer through their sub-par phone to satisfy whatever digital hoarding problems they have