Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

repiv posted:

pixel 8 colors

and the pro

no fun allowed this year unless you get the pro

Must be some serious paint shortage going around. Apple's colors kinda suck this year also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Most likely explanation is that Mint mobile hasn’t white listed the A32 for WiFi calling. Not much you can do if that’s the case.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Spikes32 posted:

This was super helpful thank you. His model / imei is not supported. So now I gotta figure out if we have to buy a new phone model I guess. Sigh

I got burned this way years ago when I was on Cricket Wireless. They did the same thing with WiFi calling.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Inceltown posted:

Why do they block wifi calling on some models and not others? It seems like the sort of thing that should be all or nothing.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Because gently caress you, that's why.

Seriously, though, carriers do all sorts of poo poo for no apparent reason, or gate features behind postpaid plans presumably just to make way more economical prepaid plans less attractive. Want to use the voicemail transcription feature on a Pixel 6? Have to have postpaid Verizon - it's blocked on prepaid. poo poo like that.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Because capitalism. Literally.

AT&T got in trouble for gating WiFi calling based on IMEI for identical phones, just not allowing phones purchased elsewhere to use it. No technical reason, just because the money went through them instead of someone else.

In the US, remember, shareholders dictate everything. They want growth at all costs.

If Verizon reached 100% saturation in the US, shareholders would still tank the stock the next quarter because there was not enough growth.

It's psychotic and ruins everything.

It's also probably easier from a support standpoint to just support it only on phones you specifically sell, and not unlocked phones you can purchase outside of the carrier. It's an easy line for the agent on the other end of chat/phone to say.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Mental Hospitality posted:

A base 64GB iPhone 11 (not pro, or max) nets you more in trade-in than a 1 year old Pixel 7 Pro and that just feels kind of wrong to me. No loyalty to returning customers?

I think they just really want to grab some of that Apple marketshare in the US. Android has been getting wrecked in the US for the past 3-4 years and they're trying to stop the bleeding anyway possible.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/266572/market-share-held-by-smartphone-platforms-in-the-united-states/

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

That's cool. Wonder if you could use both if you choose? Like it'll try for face unlock first, then move to fingerprint if it can't?

After ~14 years of Android, I went and bought a iPhone 15 Pro Max on launch. So far so good, but one of the things that is a little annoying is that if I'm lying in bed the face unlock doesen't always trigger successful. I guess because of the weird angle.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Messages offering to auto-delete 2FA codes after 24 hours must be new with Android 14? Honestly that kind of thing is my favorite kind of new phone feature, somebody just noticing a small, easily solvable annoyance and fixing it.

My 7 Pro did this before Android 14 - I think it’s more of a messages feature than an Android feature.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

FunOne posted:

Thinking about getting my kiddo a phone so I can keep track of him around the neighborhood and beyond. It needs to be cheap, rugged and compatible with AT&T and also being Android / Family Link compatible would be great.

I figured for the price of a "kids phone" I could get him a Samsung ...something... used that would both be better as a phone and cheaper when he destroys it. Is there a model or series I should be looking for that would be small enough that a younger kid would be able to keep it with them?

The online guides recommend either "kid phones" that look like total garbage or smart watches of some kind. I guess I could look into getting him an LTE connected smart watch instead, but I don't know how to properly lock that down and I'm still worried about it getting absolutely destroyed.

How old is your kid?

Hate to say it, but if they reached teen status getting them anything other than an iPhone will open them up to mockery and ridicule from their peers. Sucks, but it's the truth!

https://www.phonearena.com/news/9-out-of-10-American-teenagers-own-an-iPhone_id143073

You can just slap google maps on it, enable always-on location sharing and share it with your family members. Easy peasy.

Also, I would totally think a smartwatch is more durable than a smartphone.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
This is well above what you are capable of solving if you want to go the intune route for this. All of that is entirely controlled by your IT department, so either they set it up wrong or didn’t set it up at all.

Source: I’m usually the guy who sets all that poo poo up

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
As someone who switched to iPhone in September after exclusively using Android since 2009, the back gesture stuff is definitely annoying and one of the things that Android does better hands down. Notifications too.

What actually surprised me the most though, was how little of an issue it was switching platforms. I’ve only been an iPhone user for about two months, but I am already getting sucked into all the little poo poo apple does to try and lock you in their ecosystem. Having my wife share the pets AirTags with me was a real “ohhh I get it now” moment.

In comparison most, if not all of googles main apps are available on iPhone with no noticeable difference in quality or usability. Gmail, Maps, Home, Photos, Calendar etc.

E: I actually prefer my old Pixel 7 Pro’s fingerprint unlock vs Face ID, but that’s mostly because Face ID usually refuses to recognize my face while lying in bed lol. So it’s either that, or get occasionally blinded by fingerprint unlock at night.

sleepwalkers posted:

Hell, a bunch of features hit iOS first

Yes I noticed this over the years and was always like…hmm what? Weird.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 16, 2023

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Bottom Liner posted:

I went the opposite way and basically agree. 95% of the stuff I use a phone for was the same, just minor UI stuff here and there was different as well as actual device difference.

Weird about faceID though, it never fails me no matter how dark it is or even if my face is mostly covered (I enabled mask unlock mode). Literally never fails to unlock as long as it's actually pointing at my face. My pixel 7 would only unlock via fingerprint about 50% of the time at best.

I know I can train faceID more, I saw it in the settings. That will probably fix it, just haven’t done it yet.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Apple is bringing RCS support to iOS next year:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/16/23964171/apple-iphone-rcs-support

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

Apparently Google is sending out another $125 off the 8 and 8 Pro if you are a YouTube premium subscriber that stacks with the current discount.

https://9to5google.com/2023/12/12/pixel-8-youtube-premium/

Man, they’re really trying to tick up market share in the US huh.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I wouldn’t even bother with the RMA for Android Auto issues. Same poo poo happened to me across multiple Pixels, cables, and even cars. Would work fine for months on end, then shut itself if the cable moved an inch while in use for a week or two straight.

My iPhone does this also, but much less so far. I’ve only had it for 3 and a half months so we’ll see if it starts acting the same .

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Just as a heads-up to anyone with a Galaxy smartwatch, there is a very stupid bug with a very stupid solution that I've posted about in the WearOS thread.

Lmao excellent timing since I just gave my Galaxy Watch 5 to my father after I switched over to iPhone.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

VictualSquid posted:

Whatsapp took off in Germany because SMS used to massively overpriced by the network companies, compared to the relatively cheap low speed data rates. They dropped their prices since then but it was too late.
SMS was even expensive enough that most people spent the time to teach grandma to use whatsapp and on their old phone. And that made it popular enough that you can buy feature phones that are whatsapp compatible. And interact with many businesses through whatsapp.
Now we are stuck, because nobody wants to explain the meaning of meta's purchase of whatsapp to grandma in order to motivate her to plan a day where you can explain signal to her.

Yes, it's always hilarious when people just spout "switch everyone to signal" or some poo poo when these conversations come up. They do not live in the real world

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I totally agree, and find it incredibly frustrating that they make perfectly reasonable hardware, have a great spin on Android, but not only suck at updates but actively lie about them. I went from being something a Motorola fan to warning everyone I can about them because of how stunningly terrible they are when it comes to supporting their phones.

Motorola was always hit or miss with the software updates. I had a Droid X2 back in the day that received a bad update and got constant bootloops. It was known issue and I eventually convinced Verizon to exchange the phone for a Droid 3 over.

Despite that, I was still a Motorola loyalist because the hardware was so solid, miles above everyone else at that timeframe besides maybe Apple. Droid>Droid X2>Droid 3 > Motrola RAZR M> Moto G > Moto X 2016 was roughly my journey through Android until I got a Pixel 2 XL.

That Moto G was probably the worst phone I've ever owned. When first purchased, it ran 4.4 which was fine. It was a Moto G so it definitely wasn't a powerhouse, but it got the job done and the battery was great. For a poor college student living off student loans and a part time retail job, it was good! Then they updated it to 5.0 and it clearly could not handle it. Apps just would not load. Could not use Maps navigation and play music at the same time, because it would run out of memory and kill the music in the background. All sorts of issues. It became an absolute miserable experience.

drat shame. The Moto X was mostly fine though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Resdfru posted:

I love samsung, I've been using their phones since the s3 I think. I expect their AI poo poo to be so so so bad. I hope I'm wrong and it is somehow useful and not trash but yea I'm not gonna hold my breath

They're just going to license some poo poo just like everyone else is doing.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

repiv posted:

computer, enhance that fineprint

lol are they going to paywall this stuff

You are kidding yourself if you think Google won't lock Bards best features behind a Google One subscription (or whatever they're calling it now) after a year or two.

Did anyone actually expect this poo poo to be free forever?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
A lot of peoples opinions about Android were formed in the early and mid 2010s, when admittedly a lot of Android phones were stuttering messes due to the rapid iteration of SOCs and the OS, or just straight up broken. Take that, with the fact that a lot of apps that people care about (the fact that ~*you*~ don't care about these apps does not matter here) like Instagram, Vine (lol), Snapchat etc launched first on iOS, and when they came to Android weren't nearly as good, and it's how Android got the reputation it has in the US and Canada.

I don't blame anyone who had a Droid X2 that randomly restarted itself back in the day looking over at their friends iPhone and saying "Their phone doesn't do that, I'm going to get an iPhone next time", being locked into their iMessage groupchat a few years later, and then never giving it a second thought.

I think Google has done some good work to turn that around the past year or two with the Pixel 7 and 8, but woof did they let things slide way too far there. They got a lot of work to do.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

What’s funny is my OG Droid is what got most of the friends I listed with Pixels today off of iPhone because even then Android was doing things that iOS (or Apple hardware) didn’t.

One of the huge things was the screen. My Droid had double the resolution of the iPhone 3G and 3GS. The fact that I was able to play full resolution DVD rips from an SD card blew their minds (digital video media was not really that easy to come by in 2009.)

The other thing was….flash. Apple’s refusal to support flash lead to so much friction in those early days when so much of the web relied on flash (especially for streaming video before there were native apps.)

One friend held on until the iPhone 4 or 5 because he wanted a smaller phone, but he’s the one with a OnePlus 10t now. The small phone requirement went by the wayside when mobile gaming became a thing.

Apple’s AT&T exclusivity in the early days didn’t do them any favors either. Verizon didn’t get an iPhone until 2011. There were a lot of things that Apple did early on that actually worked against them smothering Android in its early days and allowed it to get a foothold.

Yes, but keep in mind a lot of those features are stuff that few people care about. Sure everyone cares about a better screen, but not a lot of people care about ripping their DVDs to an SDCard or lack of flash support. They care about getting Instagram on their phone, and then they cared that Instagram photos didn't look like total poo poo or that their Snapchat videos weren't grainy trash.

Apple also cultivated a social status at that time they was only maybe briefly matched by Samsung and their Galaxy phones. For most people, Android = Galaxy, if they weren't walking into a store to get an iPhone, they were walking in to get a "Galaxy".

When I was in college, I did a three month stint at Bestbuy selling phones (terrible job lmao) this was early-mid 2013, I was there for the Galaxy S4 launch. It opened my eyes a lot to what the average person thought about when they went to go upgrade their phone.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Every 7-11 I’ve been to in my area errors out on both google pay and Apple Pay, despite having the stickers on the terminal for it.

Experiences like that make me never want to try it at other places. Nobody wants to be the person fumbling around with their phone and poo poo when people are waiting behind you.

Sucks, because when it does work it’s way quicker and cool! I always use it at the Halal place I goto.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
There are tim Hortons in America so that’s probably why.

Tim hortons tracking you, google tracking you, what’s the difference eh

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Won’t solve OPs problem, but sort of related. Here is a nifty program I just set up - it allows you to use your google home/nest devices as airplay compatible speakers.

https://github.com/philippe44/AirConnect

Been using it the last few days, and it works very well.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Google hasn't made a new speaker in what...5 years? I really hope they don't abandon the line completely; I have a ton of them in my house (90% used for music) and so do my in-laws and parents. All the news around them laying off people on the assistant and hardware teams does not bode well though....

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

teethgrinder posted:

Tile nor Samsung tags mentioned

DeusIgnis posted:

Very curious to why...

Seems obvious to me that both Tile & Samsung tracker tags are already (for Android at least) popular ecosystems and they have no incentive to integrate with the built in Android option at this time?

The second it makes to do so from a business perspective, they'll hop right onboard. In the meantime, they want you inside their apps as much as possible.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

DeusIgnis posted:

The incentive is to integrate now. I have used Tile before, but when Apple's AirTag came out I gladly replaced them. Now that I'm on Android, I will for sure do the same thing with Google's. People will see this feature and gladly go towards the more convenient option. Adapt or die.

Oh I know that, but go tell Tile instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Never really understood why the "A" series of Pixel phones launched 6 months behind the regular/pro ones, but carried the same number.

Just delay the next A series after this upcoming one, and put that into your Fall launches also.