Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Hey Android thread! I'm looking into upgrading my current phone, a cheap Galaxy A23 I bought when my Pixel 4a was stolen during a trip. I'm hesitating between getting a Pixel 7a, a Pixel 8, waiting for the 8a, or getting an iPhone (gasp!)

What do I want from my phone? Mostly basic stuff like messaging, browsing, shitposting, a nice camera, some social media & youtube... Not big on gaming or productivity.

My current A23 is working ok for the time being, it's got great battery life, regular updates and a headphone jack. But the screen is bad, the speakers are too, it starts to feel sluggish in some circumstances, and I hate the "improvements" from Samsung (useless apps, weird settings and quick settings menus, etc.)

I'm a Pixel warrior, so was contemplating on getting the 8; but the 7a is currently on offer for 300€ from my provider, which is hard to beat. However the 8a is supposedly coming out soon...

Finally, I've got an iPhone 13 from work, and I actually like it: it is fast and responsive, the build quality is there, apps are well polished, there is very little janitoring... I also don't mind the bad notifications, since I try to reduce the amount I get to the strict minimum. The 15 is quite expensive, but it should be good for a few years (what with the latest chip and guaranteed updates) and keep its resell value.

So in the end, I'm leaning towards the 7a, but I'm worried about buyers remorse in a few months: will it get too slow, will the 8a be a lot better?

Sorry for the :words: but I always appreciate some kind thoughts & comments :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Just got a Pixel 7a for cheap through Cyber Monday. Any recommended cases? :)

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
My mum is asking for a cheap Android phone to replace her aging Nokia 8; I've suggested the Pixel 7a but even that is too expensive in her opinion :v:
Is there anything else in the cheap space? Motorola, Nokia, Oneplus? Samsung is off the table because the interface will just confuse her, looking for something as stock as possible.
We're in Europe fwiw. Huge thanks!

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Secondhand/refurb 7a?

Of course :dumb:

Branch Nvidian posted:

Galaxy A54 on sale?

Nah she's too used to the stock android interface, the changes Samsung made would just confuse her;