Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CLAM DOWN posted:

so was there no September pixel update?!

The curious thing is, the quarterly beta starts Monday. So I think they wanted 14 out by now instead of just a September update.

I wonder if we'll get a surprise stable release Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Just go to the application system settings for the dialer and remove "Popup allowed" for the notification settings and it should only show up in the status bar at that point as far as I know (haven't tried it.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean at this point, why even try. It looks like a Pixel, there's absolutely nothing to glean from those images and we'll have a full understanding on how the phone will perform when the Pixel 8 comes out in a month since it will be using the same SoC.

Phones are super boring now aside from foldables.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Everything in phone design is "safe" right now so of course the colors are going to be muted and boring.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They look like slabs and there's nothing inherently pretty or ugly about them.

It is notable that Google has stuck with a design language longer than one generation which is great since it builds brand identity.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

AlexDeGruven posted:

I'm expecting the Pixel 8 to be eSIM only

It's not.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://9to5google.com/2023/09/25/pixel-8-actua-display/

A few more leaks. P8P is apparently going to have a display that can hit 2600nits of peak brightness and is a full 1-120hz LTPO panel. It also looks like the Pro is getting matte back glass finally. That's something sorely missed from the Pixel 4.

The Pro is also supposed to give full camera controls in a pro mode including full sensor output.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 25, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Last year it was a $200 google store credit with preorder of a 7 Pro (I think it was $100 with the normal) with the presumption that you would spend it on the watch. They also did free Watch with the Google Fold, so I would say that's likely going to be the promo this time around too.

Similarly, I don't need enough watch though I wouldn't mind swapping the OG for the 2 in the daily routine just to refresh it. The W5 is pretty snappy in watches even if I don't really expect it to extend battery life much. The Pixel Watch is also one of the most accurate wearables for sleep and heart rate (yes, even beating out Garmin) on Android so I'll be interested if that holds with the updated sensors. Just a shame it's so fragile.

I'm interested to see how the G3 shakes out given all the changes leading to unknowns.

It has an all new core arrangement, completely dumping legacy ARM versions. It's supposed to be on Samsung's newest 4nm process which is different from the 4nm process the SD8 Gen 1 was on and is said to be much improved. I'm skeptical on the reports though since usually the much improved metric was yields and that doesn't tell the whole story about a process node, but an improvement is an improvement.

While it's supposed to be using the same 5300 modem as the G2 phones, it's supposedly a newer version and integrated on the SoC package which could help things as far as efficiency goes.

The display stuff has me most hyped. It's not that I need 2600 nits, I really never found the current phones to be too dim, it's just that the brightness along with the 1hz LPTO panel makes me hopeful that the panel is newer and more power efficient. The display is by far one of the least efficient parts of the P7 series, so there should be some easy gains here.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 25, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, well I have a Gshock that does steps, heartrate, workout tracking, and notifcations and I haven't had to charge it since the initial unboxing 4 months ago!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hark posted:

do regular gshocks have activity tracking stuff now? I haven't owned one since I was a teen and I completely forgot they existed until seeing this mention.

Some do, some don't and sorting out which is which is just as confusing as sorting out the rest of the GShock lineup.

I have a DHWH5600 with a MIP display and it has heartrate and O2 sensors as well as all the accelerometer stuff. It can even do sleep tracking though I can't vouch for the veracity of any of the metrics because I've seen no specific tests. It's solar, but not tough solar (so it can't keep up with the battery consumption when everything is going full tilt.) But it's just in my watch rotation so it sits where it can get sun otherwise and I haven't had to charge it since I got it as a result.

Garmin stuff, I keep trying to convince myself to get a garmin watch and then I always back away with "why?" Given the abysmal sleep tracking algorithm, it's really hard to take all the body battery and recovery stuff seriously if it can't even track sleep stages properly. Heart rate tracking is also not great for a whole spectrum of exercise types. The GPS is top notch though. So it really seems they are best for tracking routes when outdoor running or cycling, pairing with an ecg chest strap to get the best picture of heart rate. I'm not a trail runner and I don't get on my bicycle as much as I would like, so about the only thing I would get from a Garmin is the extra battery life. But if I'm having to take it off to get accurate sleep tracking, then the long battery life really doesn't matter a whole lot.

Charge 5 and Pixel Watch seem the best for health metrics for me (just a shame you can't have both on your account unless you jump through some shenanigans). Though I prefer the galaxy watches when it comes to style and battery life (my Watch 5 Pro is crazy on battery life and can be a 3-4 day watch with minimal compromise. But Samsung sleep tracking sucks too and the rest of the fitness metric stuff is decidedly 'meh.'

Also, even after the better part of a decade collecting these health metrics, I still really don't know what to do with them or how knowing them helps me in any way.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mental Hospitality posted:

All the colors are lame this year. :(

Edit: terrible page snipe but I guess this applies to all phones as there's even rumblings in the iPhone thread about lame phone colors outside of the titanium phones.

Seems like there may be other reasons to skip the Pros this year in iPhone land anyways. Looks like the marketers got ahead of the engineers in using titanium and made the phone suffer for it outside of overall weight. This year's iPhone 15 Pro MAX is the first iPhone since bend gate to fall the JerryRigEverything bend tests and there have already been reports of worse drop resistance due to the frame (on top of scratches galore).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For length of time, they all have that nailed pretty well. It's the various sleep stage tracking that isn't all that accurate.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

but is PPS just another proprietary standard or is it moving towards being able to adjust the standards based upon the device(s) it's charging?

It's part of USB-C PD 3.0 and 3.1 as an optional component.

So, it's very much standards compliant, but you also can't assume watt=watt.

For example, Samsung requires ~4amp for their 45w charging. So, is not enough that it be a 45w charger, it has to be able to hit 45w in the volt/amp combo that the device wants and you have to use a 5amp cable or it will max out around 27w as it hits the 3amp limit on the phone's voltage limit.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

So some phones choose amps to fast charge, some choose volts. If a cable can handle a decent combo of those two, and the charger has PPS, it's likely any phone will charge at its fastest?

Not necessarily. There are many 45w and 60w PPS chargers that top out at 3 amps. It was notable this year when the Anker Ace 45w came out that it could do Samsung Super Fast Charge 2.0 because the 2.0 means >3a. Before that, you almost only got greater than 3a if you went with a PPS charger that could do 100w on a single port.

Pixel 7 pro will do the charge rapidly toast so long as it can negotiate 18w or higher, so that by itself can't be used to determine the charge protocols (the OG pixel 18w adapter will give a charge rapidly toast on the Pixel 7 Pro.)

Samsung will say "Fast Charging" so long as it's 15w. "Super Fast Charging" means it can do at least 25w while Super Fast Charging 2.0 means 45w.

I've found my S23U is a great quick way to test my cables to see which ones are 5A capable. Plug it into one of my PPS 100w adapters and if I get the 2.0 toast, it's a 5A cable. If it's just Super Fast Charging, I know it's only a 3A cable.

For example, the Anker Ace has this published for its PPS parameters. The first grouping is what's relevant for the Samsung Super Fast Charging 2.0 since it's about 10v@4.5a at the max.

PPS: 3.3V-11V 5A /3.3V-16V 3A /
3.3V-21V 2.25A (45W Max)

The other thing that PPS does is allow the amps and volts to change dynamically without having to handshake again in small increments.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just dig into anything I find mildly interesting.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mint Mobile has a lookup tool for the IMEI that will let you know if the phone is compatible with WiFi Calling.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The latest false outrage talking point is because the Pixel 8 Pro has a 1344x2992 display instead of the 1440x3120 all of the trolls are saying the Pro downgraded to a 1080p+ display.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 27, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Bless the :spergin:

Higher number is always better

It would be one thing if I thought they were actually genuine rather than just rage baiters.

If you listened to certain corners of the Internet, Google phones haven't had a signal since the Pixel 6 launched, battery only lasts about an hour browsing the Internet and that's it your phone didn't burn your hand in the process.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

To be fair, IMEI is a pretty accessible way to look up a specific model rather than to ask customers to track down what regional variant they bought.

This is especially true with all the gray market vendors on Amazon selling SE Asian models of phones that have North American variants.

So, blacklisting purely based on IMEI isn't great, but it's an acceptable tool to remove ambiguity about what you are bringing to the service.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

HelixFox posted:

To add to the "Zenfone 10 is good" pile:

£750 in the UK so quite a bit more expensive than the cheaper Pixels, but I love this phone. Putting the fingerprint sensor onto the power button is genius (and no issues with detection like I got from the 7a's display sensor).

That says estimates. I'm EXTREMELY skeptical that any phone can get 16 hours of screen on time over the course of 3 days. Zenfone battery life is good, but it isn't doing those sort of numbers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Anything hitting 9-10 hours is SoT during normal use over 24 hours is god tier battery. The Zenfone 10 can absolutely play in that space, but it’s not getting 60% beyond that, it’s just not possible given the hardware.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I will be head over heels if they retained the optical fingerprint sensor instead of going ultrasonic. That was one of my main trepidations about the phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I still don't understand how that's a thing. I've been using optical fingerprint sensors since the OnePlus 6T and I've never seen the light from the sensor on any device.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm fine with capacitive fingerprint sensors, but just put them on the power button. No need to weaken the backplate and create another ingress point or attach more wires coming off the backplate when you already have a power button right there. I honestly had more failed reads from the Pixel 5 sensor than I ever had from the Pixel 6 Pro or Pixel 7 Pro because the sensor placement was awkward. I would have to arch my hand in an unnatural way in order to bring my fingertip towards the center of the back of the device, leading to my finger being misaligned.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any particular leaks on the G3? All I've seen is generic stuff that could have been written a year ago.

I say this every year, but I'm going to try to sit out the 8. My main disappointment with the 7 is the battery life, at least when I'm in work. It's not too bad at home on WiFi but the battery gets absolutely bungalowed otherwise. I'd love to see the regular 8 get one of those sweet sweet LTPO screens that go down to 1Hz but that's probably not going to happen until the Pixel 9 or 10, I imagine.

Effort post time.

There weren't a ton of significant changes between the G1 and G2, but it was a solid improvement.

G1: 2 X1 cores, 2 A76 Cores, 4 A55 Cores
G2: 2 X1 cores, 2 A78 Cores, 4 A55 Cores (with the big and mid getting a slight clock speed bump)

the G1 had a Mali G78 MP20 GPU while the G2 had a Mali G710 GPU. The GPU change was, from what I understand, the source of performance, thermal, and efficiency improvements over the G1 due G78 GPU having a lot of extra silicon that didn't help the AI operations much.

Both of these were built on Samsung's 5nm process node which, while not the best in terms of efficiency, was better than the 4nm LPE (assumed due to production timeframe, they just state it's LPX) that the SD8 Gen 1 was on (which was reported to only have around 35% yields at the time.)

The G1 had an older Exynos 5100 modem while the G2 had the new (not even announced until a day before the Pixel 7 launch) Exynos 5300 modem.

From here on out, everything is based on leaks but confidence level is high.

The G3 drastically changes the core arrangement and type, moving to modern ARM arch.

1 x Cortex X3
4 x Cortex A715
4 x Cortex A510

So, gone are the two big cores, only have one big core, and the mid and small are the more modern ARM reference arch. All of this is supposed to be on the newer 4nm LPP process which has been stated to have yields similar to TSMC's 4nm process. Now, yields don't necessarily mean that the power efficiency will be as good, but it's a positive indicator. Better yields usually mean chips that can perform the same at lower power levels.

The GPU has be reported so far to be the Mali G715. Many were hoping for the Immortalis G715, but early hardware readouts so far don't indicate that. It should still be a good bump in GPU performance.

The modem is reported to still be the 5300, but a later hardware revision that could have optimizations, but no real detail on that.

Some benchmarks that surfaced yesterday put the G3 between the SD8+ Gen1 and SD8 Gen 2 for geekbench scores (with clockspeeds that appeared to be underclocked), being about 6-10% below the SD8 Gen 2. Of course, that sent people in to a rage about "even if it matched SD8 Gen 2, that's last years chip and Gen 3 is about to come out." However, if google had stuck with Qualcomm, this phone would be launching with SD8 Gen 2 anyways since that's the way product timelines work. So, the complaints on that front seem hyperbolic as usual.

Other hardware readouts yesterday seem to confirm both the GN1 main camera sensor (so no hardware upgrade there to the rumored GN2). It also confirmed Goodix as the manufacturer of the fingerprint sensor on both models which means the same optical sensor that every phone that's not Samsung has. So, GN2 and ultrasonic are both rumors that appear to be false (also sending reddit into a rage.)

What we don't know is what custom silicon Google has carved out this time on the SoC die for ML accelerated stuff as the real estate they seem to be using has been increasing with each generation. My gut tells me that G3 is going to be a marked improvement over the G1 and G2 in several areas and should be a pretty worthy upgrade.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's also reddit rage over the exynos 5300 modem but I honestly thought reception and performance of my P7Pro was pretty good.

Same. I'm on T-Mobile in the northeast and I haven't been able to discern any difference between my P7P, Pixel Fold, S23U, Fold 4, and OnePlus 11 as far as reception or data goes. I keep 5G on all the time with my Pixels without issue too.

I switched back to my P7P for a week in mid September for vacation since I didn't want to take the Pixel Fold to the beach. I was a passenger on a 700ish car ride and had zero reception issues the entire ride down and back. Easily used the phone for 7ish hours on 5g browsing and shitposting with zero problems, sure the battery was reaching the dregs by the end (15-20%) but it was about as heavy use as I do and it lasted fine and didn't have reception or heating issues.

I don't doubt that some people have issues, but cell reception is SUCH a highly variable thing. You can have a local cell site having issues for a week or two to cause outlier problems. There can be environmental factors. Crowd factors. Maintenance work. Provisioning issues. It's really hard to tell, without the proper testing and clear data, if signal issues as the result of the phone have any higher rate of occurrence than anything else out there or if the S/N ratio is out of whack.

I really considered taking the S23U on the trip, but looking back I can't think of anything that it may have done better. My battery was fine, I could view the P7P just fine in the bright South Carolina sun. Heat wasn't an issue either even though I was taking pictures and using my phone in 90 degree heat and full sun. It's a mystery.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's probably only going to be hands on today with initial impressions and unboxings and I wouldn't expect the full embargo to drop until next week sometime. You see that pretty much with all tech stuff.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Incessant Excess posted:

What's your take based on the specs so far? More of a refresh than a substantial upgrade?

It's more of a substantial upgrade than the 7 was to the 6. The G3 is pretty much ground up different from the G2. The displays also look significantly upgraded, especially in the Pro where it's finally an LTPO panel. Both of those things SHOULD translate to quite a noticeable improvement in battery and thermals.

In old intel parlance 6 was a Tock, the 7 was a Tick, and they 8 looks to be a Tock.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Scrolls fine on my Fold and Pixel 7 Pro?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, Real Tone was a headline feature of the Pixel 6 series and it has received positive feedback of really making a difference.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Confirmed that the temp sensor doesn't require contact, can be used to get the temp of objects (examples were the temp of a pan and a baby's bottle).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Phones are up now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Huh, they said "all new wide camera" so maybe the GN2 rumors are correct.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

$420 trade in value for a 256GB P7P. Hmm.

I didn't do the trade since I'm pretty sure I can get more through Swappa.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, ALL new sensors on the rear for the Pro and autofocus on the front sensor. All the negative leaks were wrong.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oh man, comparing Pixel video directly to the iPhone 15 Pro Max, ballsy. They best not miss if they are going to do that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, Hyla does Samsung's trades too.

The issue is marketing budget. Samsung spends a lot of marketing budget to subsidize trades and Google is clearly using that same budget to get more hardware into people's hands to build ecosystem lock in (Pixel Watch 2 and Buds Pro.)

It is what it is. There's always private sale with devices.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TVGM posted:

But that video has to hit a data center first, maybe? I thought they mentioned it takes a pass on-device and then goes to a data center.

They also mentioned you have to toggle the mode before shooting video, so no data center processing for older videos?

The Video Boost has some weird pipeline, but they seemed to imply that just regular video would be much improved too.

That's loving huge if true.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

On the whole 7 years up update now finally, here's my theory as to why this is happening now and not being backported.

My guess is this is a convergence between the ML processing capability of the hardware, Google's AI project roadmaps, and Pixel's software roadmaps.

Basically, they wanted a certain level of ML maturity in the hardware so as to not hamstring the AI integration they are planning for the Pixel Experience moving forward. I also don't necessarily mean from a direct user facing feature perspective since that's easy enough to gatekeep to a newer model. Google must be planning on baking in more AI integrations at a lower level for system level functions that they need a certain baseline hardware to be sure to support for 7 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've always had a great experience selling devices via Swappa, though it's been a few years since I've done it so I don't know if anything has changed.