Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they actually did a small revision to the nexus 4 to add small bumps around the edge of the back to give it more grip when placed flat, but we've apparently unlearned that lesson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

google keep a device under wraps challenge (impossible)

https://twitter.com/yabhishekhd/status/1704850930125123983

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the more rounded corners are a bit of a departure but besides that yeah it's exactly what you'd expect

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

pixel 8 colors

and the pro

no fun allowed this year unless you get the pro

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any leaks on the regular 8 screen? I'm not convinced it's what drains my battery more than I think it should, especially where I work (100% at 0800, 68% by 1700, with very little use - I think the radios are just fighting with the tin box building I work in), but a 1Hz screen would still be pretty sweet.

no LTPO on the regular P8 per this leak

https://twitter.com/Za_Raczke/status/1705918207486202126

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

strange, leakers seemed pretty sure it was going to an ultrasonic sensor and they got everything else right

maybe they tested ultrasonic and then switched back to optical

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

what's going on with googles find-my network, they delayed it back in july citing apple still needing to roll out their side of the anti-stalker system and we still haven't heard anything since then

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

"Though these results prove that Google’s Tensor G3 is playing catch-up with the competition, it is unconfirmed if the two flagships are completely unusable under real-world use."

lol

wccftech moment

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Does anyone know when the offer on the watch/headphones end or is it a permanent offer?

on the UK store the offer is only running until the 16th

check the smallprint at the bottom of the store frontpage in your region

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

pretty sure apps only get put into deep sleep automatically if you never open them, which is unlikely for your main email client

it's there for people who install hundreds of apps they never actually use

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

speaking of samsung, apparently the S24 is going back to exynos in europe and only the US is getting the SD8gen3

snapdragon everywhere was too good to last

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

maybe a covid-era project that took too long to get to market? the package name being "health" indicates they had ambitions of it being for body temperature monitoring at some point

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i just go back to ye olde on screen buttons when using a case with a raised edge

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mental Hospitality posted:

I...I don't know.

do it :f5:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

moto maker was cool, someone other than motorola should do that again

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

qualcomm confirmed that the SD8gen3 is being made on TSMC N4P, the rumors couldn't decide if it was that or samsung

shame samsung is apparently giving us the exynos treatment with the S24 series

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Desk Lamp posted:

They're saying all of the Pixel 8 Pros AI wizardry is actually done on the cloud. If so, the chances of them coming to Google One subscribers just went up quite a bit.

it's a mixture, the super fancy generative AI stuff runs on the cloud, but magic eraser, which ran on the cloud with an older pixel or non-pixel, runs locally instead on the pixel 8

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Magic City Monday posted:

I have been in Team Pixel since the Nexus 4. I was seriously considering upgrading from the 7 Pro to the 8 Pro, but it got more expensive and I'm getting tired of how big the Pros are.

I know it's not out yet, but the S24 will be released at the beginning of next year, I assume that's the next best thing if I want a phone of similar quality/capability of the 8 Pro? From what I've read, it's possible to mostly hide the annoying Samsung bits and One UI 6.0 is supposed to be pretty good?

I mainly want a good camera and good battery life (but also a telephoto lens).

a potential caveat with the S24 is they're apparently switching back to using exynos chips for international models, with only the US version getting the SD8gen3, so YMMV depending on where you are

exynos variants are usually worse than the snapdragon ones to varying degrees

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the phone should announce ITS TABLET TIME when you open it

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it should be in the tiktok voice

https://voca.ro/1k8pTkZ6WJUW

repiv fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 24, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

people use bixby??

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i have a recent version of the casology parallax and it's still pretty good imo

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i was put off bellroy phone cases after seeing how extremely thin the leather layer was, with examples of corners wearing through completely, but i think that was in the pixel 6 days so maybe they've improved

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

reminder to wait and see if the exynos version sucks before rushing to preorder the S24/S24+ outside of NA, the version in all the reviews is not the version you'll get

S24U is still the same worldwide at least

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

KodiakRS posted:

My S8 battery is 5+ years old and still usually has %50 battery by the end of the day. Didn't the EU pass something about requiring replaceable batteries. When does that come into effect?

there's a carve-out in that law where devices are exempt if they meet some criteria for having X capacity left after Y charge cycles, so in practice you're not getting replaceable batteries

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

apparently much of the AI stuff is coming to previous gen devices when they get oneui 6.1

quote:

Many of the Galaxy AI features introduced on Galaxy S24 will also be supported on previous models including Galaxy S23 series, Galaxy S23 FE, Galaxy Z Fold 5 and Flip 5, and Galaxy Tab S9 series within 1H 2024.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

maybe? but they didn't confirm anything older than the S23 or specifically which features will be backported

https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-one-ui-6-1-galaxy-ai-update-eligible-devices-schedule-3404172/

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

computer, enhance that fineprint

lol are they going to paywall this stuff

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You are kidding yourself if you think Google won't lock Bards best features behind a Google One subscription (or whatever they're calling it now) after a year or two.

Did anyone actually expect this poo poo to be free forever?

probably true for anything that runs on the cloud, yeah

google are at least pushing a subset of their AI features down onto the device itself on newer hardware

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

a google product manager needs their app to hit an engagement target to get their bonus

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

this is android, your only choices are good hardware with okay software, okay hardware with good software, or no updates ever

pick your poison

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

no updates ever and probably on android 8 or something

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i know it works for some people but the pixel in-display reader is still the only one i see complaints about with any regularity, even on the pixel 8

lord knows why google can't figure this out when they're using the same sensor OEMs as everyone else

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

maybe it depends on the device and whether it's a carrier version but on mine nearly all of the samsung apps can be uninstalled the normal way, there's only a few stragglers like the redundant messages app

it's not like pixels are perfect in that regard either, i don't use gmail but pixels won't let you uninstall that AFAIK

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Desk Lamp posted:

Google's redundant apps are a non-issue when it's so trivial to set your preference.

except when it isn't, such as the system level "web search" text selection shortcut always going to google regardless of your default search engine

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

okay but i want that shortcut and there's obviously a reason why they tied it to the google app instead of chrome (so they don't have to respect chrome's search engine setting)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

im saying they could have just as easily made the google app not create that shortcut, and give that responsibility to chrome instead, but they don't want to for obvious reasons

in fact that's exactly what firefox does as mentioned above, if you have that installed then the web search intent pops a dialog asking if you want to use google or firefox

jokes on me for using chrome i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

you're right why would i want to search in chrome, an app that has search integrated into the address bar and configurable search engine options, that's a stupid idea