Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

I have a problem with a samsung tab A 10.5" declaring the charging port is moist/dirty whenever power is applied by usb-c and blaring an alarm while refusing to charge

Have cleaned out the port really well several times with contact cleaner/toothpicks, and left it in a plastic bag in a sunny spot with lots of silica gel for a few days so I'm fairly sure the port is clean and dry enough, and I have tried multiple cables and chargers out all with the same effect

looking around it seems to be a software issue with samsungs and the main fix is clearing the usb cache, but this version of Android (11 I think, it's turned off to save what battery is left) doesn't allow for that, and there's no further updates available

tried going into the recovery menu and clearing the main cache that way, still no luck

any ideas?

It happens to my Tab A7 2020 model and I use a magnetic plug. I just either reboot ir charge it turned off to avoid that issue completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

when I charge with it powered off it shows a charging logo with a exclamation mark and a water symbol, rebooting does nothing

I read that you tried different cables/chargers too so it looks like a hosed port at this point.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

smoobles posted:

Zenfone 10 battery continually blowing my mind.

What's the price there on the Zenfone 10? it's around 850-900€ in here (Amazon.es)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I need a budget phone for my work, something cheap as in less than 200 eurobucks. It won't be used all the time, just need a decently big battery and something that works with basic features. What's the to-go for that? I had a TCL 20L 5G for two years (cost me 24€ lol) but gave it to a friend that just broke his phone. Maybe a cheap POCO/TCL?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rexxed posted:

I'm not sure what's current but I've always been pretty happy with Moto G models in the past. The Samsung A series are also the less expensive but still pretty feature rich models they sell vs. the S series.

I've been disconnected from Motorola since the Moto G 2013-2015. Hell, I still have a working Moto G 2013 that works as radio fm. Samsung A series look decent but POCO phones give more power for the price (usually) but I'll keep an eye on both, thanks!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I totally agree, and find it incredibly frustrating that they make perfectly reasonable hardware, have a great spin on Android, but not only suck at updates but actively lie about them. I went from being something a Motorola fan to warning everyone I can about them because of how stunningly terrible they are when it comes to supporting their phones.

I used to recommend Motorola phones a lot back in the days based on my few Moto G and my family's experience but then Lenovo started to put their fingers and that stuff. Got a few coworkers with recent models that run great and they have no complaints but they don't check OS or security updates so...

Talking about OS and security updates, how are recent OnePlus with that? A friend is eyeing a OnePlus Nord 3 and pice/spec wise looks nice but how's the software?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Motorola was always hit or miss with the software updates. I had a Droid X2 back in the day that received a bad update and got constant bootloops. It was known issue and I eventually convinced Verizon to exchange the phone for a Droid 3 over.

Despite that, I was still a Motorola loyalist because the hardware was so solid, miles above everyone else at that timeframe besides maybe Apple. Droid>Droid X2>Droid 3 > Motrola RAZR M> Moto G > Moto X 2016 was roughly my journey through Android until I got a Pixel 2 XL.

That Moto G was probably the worst phone I've ever owned. When first purchased, it ran 4.4 which was fine. It was a Moto G so it definitely wasn't a powerhouse, but it got the job done and the battery was great. For a poor college student living off student loans and a part time retail job, it was good! Then they updated it to 5.0 and it clearly could not handle it. Apps just would not load. Could not use Maps navigation and play music at the same time, because it would run out of memory and kill the music in the background. All sorts of issues. It became an absolute miserable experience.

drat shame. The Moto X was mostly fine though.

Android 5.0 killed a lot of phones back in the days. I had to resort to CFW on my Galaxy S4 because samsung was awful at software these days. Even a lot of Nexus 5 ran awfully with 5.0 fortunately janitoring a phone these days was worth it.

Funnily enough I still have my Moto G 2013 with Android 5.0.1 and works well, slow as hell compared to anything new but hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dad: Xiaomi Mi11 Lite
Mom: Xiaomi Mi11 Lite
My other half: Samsung Galaxy S7 (I'm loving trying to change it but she refuses until it explodes or something, it even has the gboard burnt in the screen)
Me: Oppo Find X2 Neo and TLC 20 5G

My older Nephew has my old Nokia 7 Plus