Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Just converted to Android (Pixel 8 Pro).

Oh boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

is this a good "oh boy" or a bad "oh boy"?

It's more good than bad. I had a horrible Apple experience regarding an iPhone replacement (essentially, their replacement *couldn't be defective* and thus it was my fault that the phone wouldn't activate). All my good friends and SO use a Pixel so it was a nice seamless transition. I don't mind switching, honestly. It's just that I've been an iOS user for many years; it's going to get a bit getting used to.

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

look. for one minute, pretend you don't post on a niche hyper enthusiast internet forum, that you don't work in information technology, you don't know what RAM means or does.

you go to work, you go grocery shopping, you go home and watch tv and scroll on instagram.

you record something funny you see on tv with your phone, the same phone everyone you know has, and you go to send it to the one person you know who has a different phone. they tell you the quality is bad and they can't make out what's in the video. they ask you to download a different app to send it, you don't want to, or the app store asks for your password to download it and you can't remember your password and you dont really use email for anything except work or coupons or whatever and now you have to do all these steps just to interact with this person in a different way. why is their phone like this? why don't they just have what everyone else has?

fyi that is MOST people. that's why "green text bad" is anything anyone ever says or cares about.

it's unfortunate most people aren't tech savvy enough to not care or to get around it. and i know i'm generalizing and that there's a healthy population of people who know what they're doing, but the majority of people are how i described. apple capitalizes on that and wants it that way.

Agreed. It's not about the color, but what comes with the color. It was so much easier to communicate with other iOS users in America. Plus I don't want to download another app just to message (i.e. Whatsapp / Telegram / Signal...). Only other app is Messenger for some Facebook acquaintances.

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

i follow legacy rules of grammar in an ever changing and evolving online culture that no longer adheres to or requires norms because..... BECAUSE!

also language and communication is fluid. duh

Holy crap you used capital letters!

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Still no update listed on my Pixel 8 Pro. 🤷‍♂️

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

US Google Fi customer, Pixel 8 Pro. Still no March update for me

DeusIgnis fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 14, 2024

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

Tile nor Samsung tags mentioned

Very curious to why...

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Seems obvious to me that both Tile & Samsung tracker tags are already (for Android at least) popular ecosystems and they have no incentive to integrate with the built in Android option at this time?

The second it makes to do so from a business perspective, they'll hop right onboard. In the meantime, they want you inside their apps as much as possible.

The incentive is to integrate now. I have used Tile before, but when Apple's AirTag came out I gladly replaced them. Now that I'm on Android, I will for sure do the same thing with Google's. People will see this feature and gladly go towards the more convenient option. Adapt or die.

DeusIgnis fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 9, 2024

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I think this happened to me actually. I just assumed it was the B-tier mobile network I've switched to since October but it could be this software bug.

Phone software must be really bloody hard. Remember the Essential phone? Failed despite a lot of expertise behind it.

I'm still bummed Razer cancelled their phone line. I was excited for their potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Finally was able to update my Nova Launcher to 8.0. So much better and smoother.