Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The new thread is desperately needed and greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Pixel 8 and 8 Pro have the same kind of overheating issues:

https://wccftech.com/pixel-8-pro-tensor-g3-geekbench-6-and-3d-mark-wild-life-benchmarks/

It's kinda what made me decide to just stick with my 7. I'm good for now.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

What the gently caress T Mobile why doesn't my Pixel 7 have 14 yet?!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

hark posted:

I'm on 6 pro on Fi and have 14

I mean let's try to have some reading comprehension - they clearly said Pixel 7 (it's also the 7 Pro, 7a and the Fold that's affected).

My wife's 6a upgraded to 14 no problem and my 7 still hasn't been pushed the update. I'm saying screw it and side loading it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

wound up manually flashing a14 on my p7 the other day bc i got tired of manually refreshing the update screen and being told i was up to date (tmobile). it factory resets your phone and i had to do it a second time for all my app and sms info to restore from my previous backup, which was a slight pain, but overall im glad i bothered.

everything feels really slick and mature ie no visual or functional hiccups and things operating as expected with surprise/delight ui elements. i really dig the new back animation and shapes for lock screen pin inputs, etc. little things like that go a long way.

the new lock screen clock options are mostly too cartoony for me, but the one with the time and date and weather going around the sides of the display is really slick and minimal. huge improvement to make my phone feel fresh with just cosmetic differences.

I ended up just downloading any installing the OTA from Google via ADB. I had zero issues but I'm pretty comfortable with that kind of stuff so YMMV.

I definitely agree with the new UI stuff. Even the new Swype animation is a lot slicker. I also immediately gravitated to that lock screen - it looks really cool.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

NGL Android 14 has been my favorite major upgrade in a few years.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So I'm renting a truck that is the first vehicle I've used that does wireless android auto (my daily driver does wired).

I... Don't really like it? It seems to disconnect a little too often for my liking, makes my phone (Pixel 7) uncomfortably warm, and worst of all, absolutely tanks my battery in a way that I've never experienced before.

What am I missing here goons? The convenience of keeping your phone in your pocket is fine I guess, but it even takes a lot longer for it to connect to my phone (wired it works before I even see the built in infotainment).

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It’s a 2022 Ram Bighorn (which loving sucks to drive but that’s besides the point) so I’m willing to believe the implementation on the Ram is pretty bad. It’s still a really crappy first impression though - kind of a bummer.

Edit: For full transparency my daily driver is a 2019 Nissan LEAF SV Plus, which I’ve had absolutely zero problems with on wired AA.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 18, 2023

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

HTH y'all are way overreacting to this.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I’m sure y’all are also the people that insist to use SMS as your 2FA.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So I’ve had some, frankly, bad SoT minutes for my Pixel 7 (Only getting between 3-4 hours before needing to charge it, looked at battery usage, settings, etc. Nothing leaps out - this is just the life of the phone). Turning off 5G helps some but I don’t really want to nerf my phone to get decent usage throughout the day, y’know?

So I’m starting to look towards Galaxy phones and they seem to get better battery life than Pixels. The 8 also seems to have similar battery issues than the 7 so I’m not super confident this is going to be an issue Google can fix in a reasonable timeframe.

So, goons who have used both for a fair amount of time - what’s the big differences between Galaxy and Pixel? What would make you pick one or the other? Reddit has a few of these threads, yes, but that stuff tends to be in r/<insert brand here> and is clogged with biased opinions. And I trust y’all more than anything spewed in there.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So made the plunge to Galaxy (S23 specifically) after being a Pixel guy since basically the…Nexus 6? I think that was the Motorola one. Coming from a Pixel 7 whose battery life and performance was disappointing.

The immediate thing is…wow, this hardware is fantastic. The screen is absolutely gorgeous - blows the Pixel out of the water. The software is snappier (I’m not loving OneUI as much initially - I’ll probably get used to it) and the 120Hz is noticeable. I also *love* the idea of having a flagship device in this form factor.

Who knows how things will be in a week or a month, but there’s an immediate wow factor there.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The battery life on this S23 is absolutely impressive to me. Coming from a 6 Pro and a 7 to this is a starting difference, and it's much smaller!

I'm kind of annoyed that I dealt with such awful battery life for so long. I didn't realize how bad it was until I went to a different platform.

The Snapdragon Gen 2 for battery management is legit. I'm probably gonna rock this phone its entire life cycle - I love it that much.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Defend your phone platform? No one could possibly give two shits what phone you use in 2024.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Done.

If people want to argue about texting/SMS/MMS/iMessage crap then start another thread for it. I'm sure it will be lots of fun.

I understand Android news has been kind of slow lately, but this circular slapfight is tedious.

It does feel like we’re circling the wagon until Samsung’s event.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

With all this AI nonsense coming out I'm feeling reaaaaaally good about my decision to get the S23.

Gonna rock this thing until it's EoS.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

This stuff...has been on Pixels for a few years now?

I'm so confused.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So does that mean even the S22 and S21 will get it since they're also getting 6.1?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

repiv posted:

computer, enhance that fineprint

lol are they going to paywall this stuff

So not only are they going to not give it to devices older than the S23, they're going to make you pay for this nonsense too.

Good ol' Samsung.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

As a Google phone guy since the Nexus 6 I really like OneUi. I have no clue if it was rough earlier but there's some seriously cool stuff there. I've even found myself using the Samsung apps for things like phone and calendar.

Camera app sucks though I think that's the real weakness of the phone.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah I did the same exact split between Samsung and Google apps. It works great and everything still synchs back to Google.

The hardware is just straight up better. The battery life especially. My S23 absolutely trounces my old 7. It's not even close. That alone was worth me making the move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

PocketCasts is fine but I still preferred Google Podcasts.

PC is significantly better than YouTube Music though... Great job Google!