Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Not sure if I should post at the android apps instead, but I finally got a new phone just due to lack of security updates for a long time now (Moto G8 Power, yikes), moved to Oppo Find x5 (Yea yea, Chinese manufacturers and security concerns...). Its relative update schedule and reviews were great and it was on sale so :shrug:

Anyways, it's running Android 13 (....with Oppo's customizations) and the media player controls in the quick settings in 13 seem to be a simple downgrade, unless this is manufacturer specific customization. I know stock 13 has larger media control widget, but I haven't seen any screenshots or animations allowing you to flick to change between media player sources on *mobile* 13 (Spotify, PocketCasts, a youtube video, random website with audio/video).

11 had so:

(source: https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2020/08/playing-nicely-with-media-controls.html )

Maybe 13 has source switching but stacks/carousel/whatever you want to call it is not visible on the phone UI in their own example, it seems to be visible on the tablet UI, however: https://developer.android.com/about/versions/13/behavior-changes-13 My own "widget" is even smaller, and it doesn't take long for the media controls to disappear if the audio source has not been active for a while. I've tried looking settings for it to "stick" both on PocketCasts and system settings. Friend suggested me to try Niagara's launcher and running a widget on the home screen but only having one custom widget is no go for me, I like to run two weather widgets in addition to the media stuff too. I mean I barely ever use Spotify on the phone these days but at least Niagara allows stacked widgets so I could flick between two audio widgets. It's not as good as having it under quick settings but better than nothing.

Any recommendations for a custom launcher that allows multiple widgets on the home screen and stacks? Friend just recommended to use android debloater but I'd rather not soft or hard brick my device, even if I consider myself decently technical and have rooted a phone in the past and what-not, and there's no guarantee that it would even make the UI behave as I wanted.

Oh, and I hate the Discover page, it accidentally swiping to it encourages doomscrolling and clickbait articles. I know I can make it blank, but a launcher just disabling it would be a bonus (Niagara at least makes....flicking to it impossible out of the box).

I was also frustrated by the fact that the power button on Android 13 doesn't allow me to control my internet of poo poo devices. Thankfully you can put the Home controls on the lock screen so it's not *that* bad of a change.

Anyways TL;DR: How does stock Android 13 media controls work with multiple apps? Any recommendations for an app/launcher to replicate Android 11 media controls shown in the gif above?

I've never been so opionated and annoyed about a mobile OS changes, I barely give a drat usually.

edit: ColorOS 14 *seems* to have stock android media player according to some (imo bad) sources so here's hoping.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU