Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Are you on T-Mobile or Fi? Once again there's a T-Mobile holdup.

It's a month ending in a letter, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Merkinman posted:

Don't have the feature drop yet. I thought Google had addressed this situation. :thunk:

It's okay it's not like updates are routinely late specifically on their branded mobile carrier or anything.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I had to do a screen replacement (under warranty, thankfully, so all it cost me was time and a trip across town) on my Pixel 7 Pro and you'd better believe I was posting to vent about it/figure out exactly what was going on and whether it was fixable without professional help while I was trying to sort out just what to do That's kind of what threads like this are for, though I suppose being told "skill issue" to things like "the fingerprint sensor only works one time out of every five" is also part of the experience.

(I kid. Mostly.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, uh, imagine us Android folks using a product made and owned by a company whose revenue stream is entirely centered around acquiring and selling your personal information.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I and my closest friends use Steam messenger because, well, we always have and it's convenient enough and reliab- well it's convenient enough.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

sleepwalkers posted:

Chip and pin would've brought terminals that could handle NFC payments, but not necessarily Apple/Google compatibility. I can't tell you how many terminals I came across that technically supported it but weren't enabled before Apple Pay. Additionally, there were nationwide chains like uhh CVS and Walgreens I think, that needed customer pressure to give up on their dreams of forcing everyone to use their own payment system and accept normal poo poo people actually use.
Can totally argue whether or not that would've happened regardless, but I find it hard to think this is the one exception to the general "Apple introduces feature that's existed for years and suddenly people care" rule we see relatively often in the states.

Yeah, the demand for contactless payment tech (as opposed to just EMV, which is a whole separate thing) was almost certainly increased by smartphone payments becoming ubiquitous, but I feel like it would have probably happened (if not maybe as fast or as universally) no matter what.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mental Hospitality posted:

I'm glad I'm old and none of this poo poo matters.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Nova still works decently enough for me and whoever is using it to harvest my data is welcome to get into a tug of war with Google and the NSA and whichever foreign governments I guess

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Resdfru posted:

Settings > advanced features > artifical intelligence > process data only on device

Now if only there were a "Tell advertising company/data broker that manufactures all the software for this device to completely change their business model" setting.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'll be honest, I don't really see myself ever using 'circle to search' but it's not like it's holding my pets hostage or anything.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lowen SoDium posted:

Try again 4 times and hope that the AI decides that it actually wants to do something.

Seriously, this is why I always stop using Assistant, because it is so inconsistent on what it is going to do. My personal favorite is when I tell it to send a text message to my wife or reply to a message and it says "OK" after I tell it the message and just... doesn't do anything. So many times I have told my wife I am on my way home or given her an update on something only to find out that I left her on read.

Yeah, my experience using Assistant to do things like set alarms has all too often been it telling me "Okay, I've set your alarm" without in any way setting my alarm. I pretty much only use it to identify songs at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

If you're cold they're cold