Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Negostrike posted:

What about Xiaomi? Sony just hosed off from my country and there's no OnePlus, Pixel, etc
If you're looking at them because you think Samsung butchers the OS or Motorola barely provides any of the promised updates, then boy have I news for you about Xiaomi.

Are there still Nokia branded phones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

To add to the OP: some of the Chinese manufacturers like Xaoimi and Huawei won't ship with the Play Store installed.
My EU xiaomi phone sure did, so the statement would need to be a little more specific to not be a lie. Enough other reasons not to buy one though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It may well be a thing with direct imports from China or something, I honestly don't know, but then it needs that qualifier.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Wikipedia suggests that tablet is from 2014 and only ever got up to either android 5.1.1 or 5.0.2. Lineage os derived from android 10 seems to exist for it.

E: just saying restore to factory isn't going to help much

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It's just a demo? Says so on the page. I'm sure scanning that code isn't the proper way to set up a work profile you actually want to use.

E: always late somehow

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I'm having a weird problem with Google maps where it seems like it is constantly fighting two contradicting streams of data. When I'm driving slowly (30kph) it keeps rotating the arrow that represents the car, then rotating the map, recalculating the route based on that. Step on the gas (70kph?) and it gives in that I must be following the road I'm on. Very confusing, bordering dangerous in how distracting it is. Is this a gps problem or a compass problem and can I recalibrate either? Something else?

My impression is though that I don't have the problem when I turn off data, not giving maps the opportunity to recalculate the route.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I see a multitude of sites that claim to let you check whether an IMEI number is blacklisted. Can't recommed a specific one, because I don't have experience with the process.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Android tv has system level settings for the look of subtitles, should the system be called upon to display them, which isn't even a given. NewPipe on my fire stick uses these, VLC doesn't. All other subtitles settings, like language preferences and whether to display them at all are app specific.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Works exactly the same on my fire stick as on my chromecast with google tv.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Miui is absolute garbage. Hard no on ever going with it again. I'll take a Motorola with zero update policy over that.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I'm really happy with an actual ssd in a third party enclosure. They can be fairly compact these days with the stick form factor. You don't know what kind of flash memory is in a regular USB stick, even if you dodge the fakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I've got this Orico enclosure. No complaints, but also didn't benchmark or anything. I don't particularly know about drives. There's an ssd thread in sh/sc that can tell you if a drive you find in your particular locale at an interesting price is worth entertaining. You're probably not going to save yourself more than 10-15-ish pounds if any at all though.