Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
You linked to the dead android apps thread, not the current one:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751764

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Phone is crawling along with the Android 14 update.
Can I finally rotate the "always on" clock?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

How does GrapheneOS handle launchers? All those interesting launchers (I am using Niagara right now) want payment through google, so that sounds like it could be convoluted if you want to minimize exposure.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

"This app is not available for any of your devices" :argh:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Phones have historically been terrible of signalling this sort of thing.
Having a big fingerprint symbol in the middle of the display to tell you to hunt for the sensor on the back/side is the most obvious one. Leading to certain people spending an embarrassing amount of time jabbing the symbol before remembering.
And I also never figured out how to best hold my phone to my mouth while phoning through pure headphones.

On the other hand if it were actually hard to find, Linus would have some grunt look for it and then bragged about finding it without help.

While I am here: Has there been any info on weather the 8a will have the temp sensor?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm just speculating but I doubt it will have one. The A series are generally cut down versions of the regular models rather than having any features exclusive to the Pro (and formerly XL) models.

Probably. On the other hand, the only really distinct yes/no feature used to wireless charging which the A series now has. Making the A/normal/pro a more incremental difference.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

My tablet started seeing an upgrade to Android 13, but the OTA upgrade keeps failing. No detailed error message besides "OTA upgrade failed", it spends around half an hour optimizing applications before giving up.
I know that doing a factory reset has a nonzero chance of fixing this kind of issue. But, is there a less invasive thing I can try first?
It is a Lenovo P11(gen2).

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

I do, with AMdroid. It shows on the stock lock screen and everything, so the OS can definitely see it, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

I have to set a ton of alarms to wake up early, like one every 5 minutes for an hour and a half of escalating noise and difficulty, so maybe it's getting confused? I'll try setting just one and see if it unfucks.

I'd still rather have the ability to manually set the charge speed if that's possible.

For me it adaptive charging is always on starting in the evening, if I have an alarm set for next morning. If I don't have an Alarm set it never turns on.
I don't think it uses any further logic.

I also would like more control. Recently I was in a hotel with only one convenient outlet where I had to juggle devices on my charger and wanted to deactivate adaptive charging. And when I plugged/unplugged a device on the other port of my charger the charger interrupts loading and adaptive charging reactivates.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Whatsapp took off in Germany because SMS used to massively overpriced by the network companies, compared to the relatively cheap low speed data rates. They dropped their prices since then but it was too late.
SMS was even expensive enough that most people spent the time to teach grandma to use whatsapp and on their old phone. And that made it popular enough that you can buy feature phones that are whatsapp compatible. And interact with many businesses through whatsapp.
Now we are stuck, because nobody wants to explain the meaning of meta's purchase of whatsapp to grandma in order to motivate her to plan a day where you can explain signal to her.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I didn't even know that Assistant can read out caller name, I suppose that is not available in my region.

Though reading your post again, am very confused as to what you want.

Anyway, I use Macrodroid to read whatsapp messages and caller ID out loud, but only if I am wearing headphones.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Have you tested weather the "hide private notifications" does what you want? It might or might not.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

What is the current recommendation for app isolation?
Googling gives me only 5 year old articles recommending shelter. Is that still good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I am really tempted to order an 8a. They are offering a trade in for my p6a that is almost the price I originally paid for it.
And I keep getting annoyed at the fact that I just missed out on wireless charging coming to the A series.