Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Calling the common smartphone form a brick is a slight against the venerable Nokia brick. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
Google updated the Assistant widget so now it looks and behaves totally differently and I can't change it back. :mad:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Bright Bart posted:

They should be embarassed to be honest.

Plenty of people only buy a smartphone with the next two years in mind. I think in some places surveyed it's a minority that plan to use theirs for three or more after purchase. But you want that to be because they want something newer and better rather than a lavk of support.

Aren't most trade-in phones refurbished for resale in other regions? Lack of updates means large potential exploits in those markets, especially if the exploit can spam the contacts list for more users missing updates.

isndl
May 2, 2012
My P6 updated to Android 14 and now whenever I try to open an app from my home screen there's what feels like a 30% chance it just doesn't open and I'm left staring at my background wallpaper until I swipe up to pull my home screen up again. Not sure if it's Android or Nova launcher causing problems.

Guess I should see if there are any launchers worth swapping to anyways, it's been years since I landed on Nova.

isndl
May 2, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

I also would like more control. Recently I was in a hotel with only one convenient outlet where I had to juggle devices on my charger and wanted to deactivate adaptive charging. And when I plugged/unplugged a device on the other port of my charger the charger interrupts loading and adaptive charging reactivates.

Not really an Android solution per se but I found it extremely worthwhile to get a compact power strip for travel use. 2 outlets/4 USB ports with the cable extension makes life so much easier.

isndl
May 2, 2012
The Google Assistant At-A-Glance widget on my home screen has crashed and now it's a giant pink box telling me to use ADB to pull the log. How do I restart this thing without rebooting my entire phone?

isndl
May 2, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not even wireless, you can just plug one phone into the other

Your mileage may vary with that, I tried it when I upgraded to my P6 and it would outright crash my old phone every time.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

It's not the vast majority of people though. It's just America. The rest of the world is on the WhatsApp train

WhatsApp is popular in Europe but it doesn't encompass the rest of the world, other apps are the standard in Asia. I don't know the specifics in say, South America or Africa but I wouldn't be surprised if they had their own local flavors there.

isndl
May 2, 2012

hark posted:

Using a Spigen case with a kickstand on my p8p right now and it's great. Dropped my phone dozens of times already and no problems so far.

Does the kickstand interfere with wireless charging?

isndl
May 2, 2012
Play Store recommends three different crypto apps as "similar". Thanks Google!

isndl
May 2, 2012
If I'm using Google Calendar's holiday calendar for multiple countries, is there a way to get it to color code it by country or am I stuck with one color for everything?

I know I could create custom calendars and copy the individual holidays over but that's a lot of :effort:.

isndl
May 2, 2012
So it's been about a year since the Qi2 standard was announced, have there been any Android phones released using it? Mostly curious as to whether anyone is making use of the MagSafe ring now that it's not Apple exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012

Scam Likely posted:

I just got an email from Google saying they're automatically opting me in to device tracking. I'm pretty opposed to any kind of tracking even if it's encrypted and meant to find a lost device, and doubly so when it involves automatically being opted IN.

Despite turning off the tracking on my phone, the web portal still locates it immediately. It even lists the phone as having "Find My Device turned off", which is just :bravo:

How the hell do you actually opt out of this?

There are two different things happening here. Your phone location is tracked via GPS/wifi triangulation, this has been a feature for years. The new Find My Device is reporting observed Bluetooth devices, particularly so there's data on 'dumb' devices like a tag in a backpack. You can turn off the Bluetooth reporting, but I don't know if it's possible to turn off the phone location reporting.

It sucks that everyone is being opted into a potentially privacy shattering system by default, but Find My Device needs a critical mass of data to actually become useful and it does have incredible potential for helping track down lost or stolen items. If Google didn't opt people in, everyone would continue to complain about how Apple's tracker tag ecosystem is so much better.