Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I love iPhones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The Zenphone 10 battery life is insane... I'm at 64% after a full day of use. :stare:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

HelixFox posted:

How are you liking the zenfone in general? I'm about done with my Pixel 7a because of the lovely battery life and the asus phones all seem to be really good options specs-wise as potential replacements.

It's great so far. Got it running stock, and arranged stuff to feel like a Pixel. Everything feels and looks the same.

I went from a 5 to this, coming from a 7A it might feel tiny at first.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

One week trip report on Zenfone 10: still kicks rear end. Battery life is about 30 hours with frequent use. Phone is one handed, but powerful and heavy enough to hurt someone if I threw it at them. Got it tweaked visually to feel exactly like a Pixel, the only Pixel features missing I think are being able to delete a background guy from photos and robo calling restaurants to make a reservation.

10/10 phone very good

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Soul Glo posted:

Magic Eraser is a tool in Google Photos fyi

Oh wow! OK so the Zenfone 10 really is a Pixel 5 with better battery, processor and camera.

Long live tiny phones for tiny people

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Zenfone 10 battery continually blowing my mind.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My only gripe with the Zenfone 10 initially (coming from Pixel 5) was I kept making typos, then I realized I just needed to change the Gboard height to "tall" to compensate for the slightly different form factor.

Now it's perfect.

Mentioning this in case anyone else with the Zenfone is wondering why they suddenly can't type as fast or keep tapping the wrong keys. There's like a millimeter difference from the P5 in where the keyboard ought to be.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Why can't we move on from glossy backs. Just one big smudge factory. :barf:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Edit: I made a bad post

smoobles fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 4, 2023

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Rap Game Goku posted:

8 pro got here today. This is nice but it's absolutely iterative over my 6 pro.

Phones kinda became iterative instead of quantum leaps in like 2016 I think

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

How are folks finding the battery life on the 8?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Played with the new pixels at Best buy today, it's tragic that they saved the good screen for the pro. C'mon Google. :( just release two good phones.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

do the 8 and the 8 Pro both have the same material on the back?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

get one of those old Samsungs that would explode randomly, so you can teach those muggers a lesson

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

did any of you Honourable Pixel Warriors get the pixel tablet? it's on sale for black friday and it's tempting

Yes and I love it a lot. Way more than I was expecting to.

It's great in the kitchen for timers and recipes, but where I REALLY love it is at the gym. The official Pixel case has this firm kickstand that can hook onto the treadmill and I can watch movies while I walk.

I also set it up to be a purely fun screen with no texts, email or work apps and it's nice to have a device like that in the house.

If it's on sale I would recommend it. I paid full price but I'm a dork.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It's not just the Pixel Tablet; all matter is mostly empty space.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

How cool would it be if Pixel phones auto switched to LTE whenever 5G is the slower of the two networks. That's the first thing I'd do if I was the President of Pixel.

Is there an app or setting that does this?

5G is very overloaded in my city and is slower than LTE at any given location about 50% of the time.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

How do you permanently remove an app from the media share menu? Like when sharing photos it brings up apps I would never ever share a photo to. It's very dumb and I feel like there used to be a way to customize all that.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Resdfru posted:

If you're on samsung you can edit that with good lock

Wait actually it's moved to the actual share button now, no good lock needed. Just click share, then 'more', then there's a pencil in the top right.

Not sure if it's the same or similar on other versions of android

No such option on stock Android (Pixel)

Rare Samsung W.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I strongly recommend iPhones to this particular poster

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

am I the only one still using ICQ

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Laughed at an image

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Can my Smart Ring auto turn off my phone notifications when I am masturbating

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

other people posted:

From the pixel 5 I am used to tapping menu buttons at the very bottom edge of tbe device/screen but when my muscle memory does this on the zenfone there is no response because I'm tapping the bezel, not the screen. lol

I briefly owned a Zenfone 10 before I shattered it and collected on the insurance policy, but I've got a solution for this specific thing:

You can stretch out or shrink the keyboard height in your settings. I don't remember what I settled on exactly, but I managed to pick a keyboard height that fooled my muscle memory into thinking it was a Pixel 5.

No problems typing after that, until I conveniently destroyed the phone and got an insurance payout and bought a Pixel 8 Pro.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It is a travesty that there's no good phones in the Pixel 5 form factor, it was perfect.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The Pixel 8 Pro without a case is a pretty good one handed phone I'm finding!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

oops wrong thread

smoobles fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 18, 2024

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

that was easy as hell

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Pixel 8 Pro here, all apps updated, no software updates available, no circle to search yet.

Must be a staggered release!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Hm... And you use it on any app by holding the home button? That's what I read online but it's not working.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Resdfru posted:

Bard is now gemini and has an app. I don't have access to circle to search so I dunno if they are now competing in any way. In any case circle to search is probably a lot faster since it's on board.

I tried gemini, it replaces Google assistant. It's pretty cool. Does all the normal chat bot poo poo but the coolest thing is it will act on your current screen, so if a website it you can ask it to summarize it or whatever. Could be cool if Google actually puts work into it

Does it do all the Google Assistant things like smart home control?

edit: just tried it out, it can't control things like lights and music. It gives you an error message. It pretty much replaces Google Assistant with a worse ChatGPT :\

I hope Google keeps iterating on this idea, because Google Assistant struggles with natural language inputs, but this ain't it

smoobles fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 8, 2024

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Google canceled a good app (Podcasts) and created a bad app (Gemini). It is as it always is. Sunrise, sunset.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Can anyone recommend a podcast app, ideally with these 2 features that I love from Google Podcasts (Rest In Piss)

1. Automatic downloading of new episodes in the background

2. Ability to quickly add an episode to "next" in the playlist/queue. Ideally with a single button tap (e.g. Podcast Addict makes you go thru a wee menu)

Don't mind paying for it if it's a good app!!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Antennapod slaps rear end, the only feature it doesn't have (compared to Google Podcasts) seems to be syncing between devices, but there's also probably a solution with gpodder & a home server that I'm not nerdy enough to figure out.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Wait is it confirmed we're finally getting Android air tags?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I wish my Android had a gun app so I could shoot that post

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Google Assistant is becoming abandonware. Can't use it to add items to lists anymore, and Google support will disconnect you the moment they learn your problem is a software problem, in their words "we don't have a support department for Google Assistant"

Sucks if you bought Nest/Home smart speakers.

I assume they stopped bug fixing Assistant because they're all in on Gemini.

smoobles fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 30, 2024

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Yeah it seems to work for 99% of people. For me it says the item was added, shows me the item on the list in a little preview, then doesn't add it. Googling the issue shows me a few dozen people with the same problem going back to 2023, none of whom found resolutions.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

On the topic of Chromecast I was wondering if guests at your house can cast to your TV ads-free if you have YT Premium? Or does the person doin the casting need Premium as well to avoid ads.

Thinking of using YouTube for Karaoke where people can use their own device to queue a song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

FWIW my 70 year old mom loves the Amazon Firestick. It probably has the best universal remote. The thing that confuses old people the most is having more than one remote.