Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

if you're this disturbed by phone calls, you have plenty of options

- turn your ring volume down to 0
- swipe up on the notification (works on my pixel, idk about samsung), the phone is still ringing but it doesn't take up screen real estate
- turn on do not disturb

i do a combination of all of the above bc i never want my phone to make any noise ever and it works just fine. i get phone calls if i see my phone and need to take it, otherwise i call or text the person back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

apparently you can't see which devices are connected to your pixel's hotspot tethering, just the number of devices connected? pretty stupid.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

bull3964 posted:

The Pixel Watch is also one of the most accurate wearables for sleep and heart rate (yes, even beating out Garmin) on Android so I'll be interested if that holds with the updated sensors. Just a shame it's so fragile.

this prompted me to double check my fitbit app and turns out they recently updated the UI and added some interesting customization options. looks really slick.

i have a pixel watch 1 but would happily take a 2 if it comes free/cheap with a pixel 8. also, some of the advanced camera options have me considering a pixel 8 pro over my pixel 7 even tho i really don't want a hugephone and wish they would make a pixel 5 sized phone again.

the standard size 7 is already just too wide/tall for me to use comfortable one-handed anyway so might as well get a bigger screen and more stuff

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

that blue color is horrendous

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

they announced that true tone feature like 4 years ago

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Vagrancy posted:

Not sure what I expected the Assistant + Bard merger to be called, but it definitely wasn't "Assistant with Bard".

"google assistant" is an established product name and one of the company's standout features vs siri and other poo poo out there. it's unlikely they would change that name to something new for people to get used to

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

so there's no update to the fingerprint sensor huh? bummer. it's fine but could be better.

and the watch 2 has the same bezels?

feels like it's gonna be a skip year for me. ah well.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Does anyone know when the offer on the watch/headphones end or is it a permanent offer?

tbh, if i were going to upgrade, i would much rather just walk into a best buy the day of/after release and buy an unlocked phone if the watch offer is still on the table. i feel like there's a chance it might work that way anyway and they're saying "preorder only" right now just to get those initial sales numbers juiced up. i could be very wrong though and just wishful thinking.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

my local best buy has a pixel 8 on display. the screen is way brighter than my 7. in the last few years ive been able to transfer photos taken from display devices to my phone to post here for photo quality comparisons, but the nearby share feature wasn't working on the model i tried. the photos do look nicer, tho. more crisp and clear.

the main takeaway tho is that the form factor is REALLY nice compared to the 7. on paper it's only slightly smaller but in the hand, even with the big ugly security thing on the back, it feels and looks much smaller and more comfortable and more polished due its more rounded design. the 7 is a nice feeling phone but in comparison to the 8 it looks like an old tv remote.

i was skeptical and hesitant to upgrade from my 5 to a 6 and even to a 7 but this year its going to be hard to resist the 8 from a sheer form factor perspective. its a shame that the phone is so neutered in comparison to the pro this year and is probably not really worth the one year upgrade (imo).

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

wound up manually flashing a14 on my p7 the other day bc i got tired of manually refreshing the update screen and being told i was up to date (tmobile). it factory resets your phone and i had to do it a second time for all my app and sms info to restore from my previous backup, which was a slight pain, but overall im glad i bothered.

everything feels really slick and mature ie no visual or functional hiccups and things operating as expected with surprise/delight ui elements. i really dig the new back animation and shapes for lock screen pin inputs, etc. little things like that go a long way.

the new lock screen clock options are mostly too cartoony for me, but the one with the time and date and weather going around the sides of the display is really slick and minimal. huge improvement to make my phone feel fresh with just cosmetic differences.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

UncleGuito posted:

I've been lucky enough to test the Pixel 8 Pro for the past few months - here are some impressions!

Let me know if there's anything else you're curious about!

my pixel 5 and my pixel 7 both had wobbly power buttons that see-saw'd back and forth if you pressed either side without pressing hard enough to actually engage the button. it isn't a huge deal but drives me nuts when it comes to considering overall build quality and attention to detail. i assume this isn't the case on the 8 but just checking!

Kirios posted:

I ended up just downloading any installing the OTA from Google via ADB. I had zero issues but I'm pretty comfortable with that kind of stuff so YMMV.

I definitely agree with the new UI stuff. Even the new Swype animation is a lot slicker. I also immediately gravitated to that lock screen - it looks really cool.

yeah i went to this page on the android developer site. it would definitely intimidate the average normie when they have to plug in their phone and see a bootloader(?) type screen. but i'm also comfy with it.

and heck yeah on the Best Lock Screen :hfive:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

The Merkinman posted:

Does sideloading Android 14 require a full wipe of data? It's been a week and it's asinine there is no transparency as to when Tmobile will finally get off their asses and decide to roll it out.

when i did the sideload it required me to perform a factory reset, but i had my data backed up anyway so it was fine. i also pay for Google One so that might help? tbf i wasn't able to restore my backup the first time it did the reset and i had to reset it once more. then my phone was back to the way it was before i did anything (minus downloaded photos and songs/podcasts in spotify etc)

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Incessant Excess posted:

Learned with some surprise this morning that, after updating to Android 14, my alarm was blocked by having DND on. I assume, since I've not seen any posts about this, this is some weird bug that happened to only me tho?

assuming you've checked these settings and allowed alarms to interrupt dnd?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

GreenBuckanneer posted:

sounds like a downgrade to me

the bright light behind the fingerprint scanner sucks but i would much rather that than a big notch at the top of my display

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Has anyone in the thread gone from a Pixel 7 to an 8?

ive been considering it since i would really love a smaller phone. but my coworker brought his 8 pro into work and now i'm not sure.

overall, i prefer ease of use with one hand over some of the flashier ai features even if i fundamentally disagree with the choice to exclude them for no reason.

day to day i just want to be able to text and browse with one hand while i half pay attention to whatever i have on tv. more realistically one handed use is much much more convenient when it comes to carrying poo poo while running errands or just walking around with a coffee or something.

i think while writing this post i convinced myself to get an 8 lol

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Blurb3947 posted:

loving killer change, hope it gets ported to regular camera app.

it is on the regular camera app? my pixel 7 on android 14 has this change.

i'm actually bummed they moved the preview of the most recently taken photo. my poor muscle memory.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

FunOne posted:

I don't understand what to do with this watch.

it tells you what time it is without you needing to take your phone out your pocket

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Rap Game Goku posted:

and also what email/text you got. It does other things, but those two things are like 90% of what I use it for. Free is a good price for that.

i hate notifications and do as much as i can to make sure my electronics "bother" me as little as possible, so these are disabled on my watch. i have the luxury/disposition to not check either of those things when they come in. ymmv if you're a busy executive or socialite or family person who needs/wants those things at a moments notice.

i use mine primarily to check the time, track steps, and my sleep. it is 100% an unnecessary luxury device but i dig it and the cool watch faces.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

my pixel 7 on android 14 is, i think, interfering with the way my todo app (ticktick) sends and persists notifications.

i have two separate reminders every morning to take two pills. on android 13, the notifications would pop up over my main screen content from the bottom *and* exist/persist as an actionable item in my status bar/notification pulldown. i would dismiss the on-screen popup while leaving the notification there for when i did the thing like 20 min later or whatever.

now, in android 14, i get the same two notifications per reminder, but the items in the status bar just.. vanish after a little while. i missed a dose the other day bc i would normally see the status bar icons before leaving my apartment and be reminded that i haven't taken action yet, so then i would pull the notification shade down and tap "complete" on the thing. but now they're gone so i'm not reminded.

it's really frustrating me, and i did all the suggestions in the app for disabling battery saver and allowing the app to display over other content, etc.

not sure if anyone here knows about the technical aspects of the update, but i wonder if something changed where the developers haven't done some necessary adjustments or what. can't understand why that would be the case but the app works wonders for my productivity in all other areas and i'd hate to find another one.

one thing that's clueing me into a potential need for the devs to update something is that i'm also no longer able to add a shortcut widget to my homescreen for that app. i select it and place it on my homescreen, it prompts me to choose which list i want it to action when pressed, i confirm, and it immediately just disappears. bizarre.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Resonance22 posted:

I only just Installed Tick Tick last night, so I haven't been able to really try anything, but I just added a shortcut to my homescreen, and it seems to work fine on a Pixel 8 Pro, Android 14. Maybe the app needs a clear storage / reinstall?

happy to hear about other ticktick users. i'm a paid customer for two years going on three now, it's been fantastic. i really hope they fix it soon.

- either long press the home screen, tap widgets, find ticktick
- OR long press the ticktick app, tap widgets
- find the "ticktick shortcut" widget at the bottom
- long press and position on home screen
- confirm action and list
- click the checkbox
- *poof*

this worked fine on android 13. this happens after uninstall/reinstall, clearing cache, restarting phone, etc. makes me very sad

https://i.imgur.com/8iWieQ7.mp4

(yes it bums me out that the lifx app is not color coded for material you)

Resonance22 posted:

Random Aside: Does anyone remember how a few years ago, you could tap the clock in the notification shade, and it would open your alarm app? Then Google did a Google and removed it for some reason.

I don't know if this happened way earlier and I just never noticed, but it's back!!

i never knew about this, but when i just tried it, it opened ticktick bc i have another alarm set for later tonight (9pm)

it's kind of neat but kind of frustrating. there's also an alarm clock icon below my big clock on the pixel home screen. it has the time of my next ticktick alarm (9pm) but when i tap on it, it opens my clock app, which does not show an alarm for 9pm.

looks like the devs are still figuring that one out since it clearly works in the notification shade that points to whatever app has the most recently occurring alarm.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Resonance22 posted:

I actually can't get any Shortcut to work on the Pixel Launcher.

is there a difference between a shortcut and a widget? i can get ticktick widgets to work but the shortcut specifically won't stay

Resdfru posted:

I don't know what tick tick provides, or if this works in android 14 but. Habits has notifications that cant be dismissed and pretty good tracking/stats of your reminders. I use mine for taking meds as well. Might be a hold over at least till your main app fixes whatever

is "habits" the name of the app or..? i can't find anything with just that name in the store.

ticktick probably isn't much different than other popular todo apps like todoist or whatever else. but it has a slick interface, syncs between android and macOS for my work computer. useful keyboard shortcuts on mac as well as the (currently defunct) shortcut to quickly add tasks from the android home screen. i use that feature constantly.

it also gives you neat stats about how much poo poo you actually got done in the course of a year in a sort of "spotify wrapped" style recap which is nice.

i saw it on an mkbhd video once and i had been through a number of other apps in the past that never stuck. this one, for whatever reason (the reasons mentioned above, i guess) gets me through my stuff

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Vagrancy posted:

Non-Dismissable notifications became dismissible in Android 14

I.e. If you compulsively swipe stuff out of the shade relying on how it used to work, the killer was you all along.

interesting. i did notice being able to dismiss android auto notifications that previously wouldn't swipe away in a13

but the problem is im not manually dismissing these notifications, they're just going away after a while on their own.

i wonder if the devs were hacking them to be sticky somehow by way of non dismissable controls? i was still able to swipe them away before, too, tho.

hate all of this.

ah yes. i have this and used it in the past but ticktick is useful bc its the same app as my work kanban board that also syncs my work and personal calendar into my todo due date items.

loop (why wouldn't you call it by its name?) is good but too bare bones to be the catch all ive come to rely on

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

yeah i didn't see anything wrong or "not good" with the screen on the 8 when i played with one at best buy

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

noticing that the default white balance is way too blue when taking point and shoot photos in my apartment. watching a black and white movie trying to snag a photo for the "guess the movie by the screenshot" thread and it turns the image extremely blue.

here's a comparison of the original shot with the edited and cropped version. the "blue tint" slider all the way to 0 plus a few white/black balance adjustments gets it closer to how it actually looks to my eyeballs. also the custom crop feature is absolutely brilliant for this use case specifically.

pixel 7 btw

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 23, 2023

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Skarsnik posted:

That's just an old TV problem, the back light puts out more and more blue as the LED degrades

Your phone camera is just more sensitive to it than your eyes

interesting! appreciate the info

altho i feel a little weary at considering my tv "old" i only got it 3 years ago. however it is on a hell of a lot i guess.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i just recorded a front facing video on my p7 and it wouldn't stop when i hit the stop button. and it wouldn't let me swipe up to go home or use the back gesture. lol cool

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i grew up in new york city, have since moved away but still have lots of friends there and visit 1/2x a year.

i got mugged for my phone once back in like 2011 and i'm the only one out of my friend circle it's ever happened to.

my friends and i would all hang out in bushwick and bedstuy or the lower east side and stuff. kinda gentrified but also kinda grimey.

you shouldn't worry about carrying around a decoy phone, just keep your eyes open and don't walk on secluded dimly lit blocks, which is what happened to me.

if anything, if i mugged you for a phone and you handed me some decoy poo poo and i wasn't rushing away immediately to not get caught, i would probably notice it was a decoy and get more pissed.

stay safe out there and take it from someone with high anxiety and depression: chill

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i'm not necessarily trying to perpetuate device/platform war/animosity or anything, just sharing my personal experience, but i have been curious for like 3 years now so i finally bit the bullet and bought an iphone 15 pro that i switched to from a pixel 7

i'm gonna return it today and pick up a pixel 8 instead.

there are some nice things about ios, face unlock/authenticate is fast and accurate as hell. but overall it feels so slow and unresponsive with too many ui inconsistencies or hurdles to use efficiently compared to (pixel/stock) android. not having a universal swipe-to-go-back function means every app has to implement either a swipe down or swipe from the side or tap an x or whatever the developer feels like. also notifications are still extremely bloated, cluttered, and basically unusable. i'll literally get multiple notifications from a single app that, when opened, will only clear a single notification instead of all of them. this is for a single message thread mind you.

i had a good time using imessage with a friend of mine who refuses to use anything but texting, but not even being able to use that app to grab images from google photos means it's not even as fully functional as i was expecting it to be. the build quality is nice. the shortcut/action button thing is too weirdly placed to be really useful and isn't better than double-clicking the power button. having notifications on the lock screen go from bottom to top vs needing to swipe down from the very top of the screen when the phone is unlocked is, again, just contributing to overall inconsistency.

lastly, carplay is not as capable as android auto. they're both very similar, but google maps on android is more feature rich and supports dual-touch which i find helpful. also if i have full screen spotify (or anything else) on the display, the bottom notification bar still shows a preview of my next turn for directions. on carplay, a full screen app is full screen with nothing else showing.

glad i scratched the curiosity itch and i'm even more excited now to get a smaller, more capable pixel.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i actually recently got an ipad mini for the gently caress of it and wound up enjoying it for casual use. procreate is a helluva drawing app that works extremely well with the apple pencil.

aside from that, i like it for a wireless mini display that syncs with my macbook, watching youtube in bed, and it basically replaced my kindle paperwhite.

while i do have it connected to some social apps that get notifications, i have it on DND 100% of the time and typing messages on it is a nightmare. i could never use it for moment to moment productivity and that translated 1:1 to trying to use an iphone to manage work and social messages and just basic ui flow. it's like molasses compared to android with .5x animation speed which, to me, is absolutely essential.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

in my limited experience, my thesis is this:

android is good for being productive
ios is good for being social

at this point in my life, i care more about being productive and flying through a concise list of nicely stacked notifications that i can quickly snooze or set to remind me 2 hours later and open apps quickly and arrange them exactly how i want on my home screen.

it's nice that instagram or imessage have little ui flairs that enable cute social interactions, but i can live without that poo poo as a single dude whose phone is tapped into both work and personal google apps.

on the iphone, i have to jump through hoops to make sure that contacts sync to gmail and that siri talks to google maps and spotify instead of default ios apps, and reminders and notes and my google home devices are all recognized. on android, it Just Works the way i want/expect it to and that's a huge quality of life improvement.

as for picking up a Pixel 8, I was standing in Best Buy holding one about to buy, but then i realized black friday is around the corner and google's website claims the phone's will be 100-200 bucks off so i can wait a few days.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

younger kids/teens are far more likely to communicate in social apps like snapchat, so texting isn't top of mind.

it's the college aged to 30 somethings that care and don't wanna bother downloading another app. it's a fair point really bc whether the color of the text is green or poo poo brown, all that matters are that media sends properly and group chats don't gently caress up. i don't actually think it's a lot to ask that messaging "just work" but really it's apple's fault that it doesn't.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

currently sitting at a best buy figuring i would trade in the 7 im typing this on for $100 on top of the black friday deal for an 8 but the value dropped from 100 to 41 bucks over the last... week? this is for a damaged back glass btw. a fully functional 7 would only be worth 82 bucks. pretty preposterous if you ask me but hey that's the world we live in.

still, im committed to the decision and just gonna grab an 8 anyway and throw my 7 in the same drawer as my 5 and 2xl

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

hark posted:

do you have to use Best buy? cause even today google store was offering more than 100 for the 6 pro trade in

hmm good tip, thanks. but i do prefer to buy from a physical location. having to wait for stuff in the mail, which i've had trouble with in the past, and then not having anywhere to bring a product that's defective or that needs service is not my jam.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

my pixel 8 google pay has been declining payments pretty consistently where my 7 never had a problem. i was thinking the face unlock would make things more smooth but it's been pretty fuckin wonky.

on the 7 it would ask for the fingerprint to be scanned almost as soon as i opened the wallet. now, it lets me scan my phone but then will show the fingerprint icon but also accepts a face unlock without really indicating it? idk real crap experience so far.

also, it's very evident that the pixel watch software is underbaked. using the app to transfer my watch from the 7 to 8 led to multiple loading screens hanging for minutes longer than it *should* have(?) and when i would back out it turns out it was successful or ask to restart or whatever.

pain in my god drat rear end

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

immediately after the third time trying i just whipped out my actual card and it went through fine.

this also happened when i went to pay for stuff at the container store yesterday but i only bothered with google pay once before just using my card.

this morning at my usual every day coffee spot it worked first try but there's def something fucky going on

e: also as i was composing this message, i got a text from a friend with an iphone that came in three times in a row. that poo poo happens frequently. it really is so ridiculous that something as simple as texting is anything anyone has to even think twice about in 2023 after over a decade of modern smartphones. the consumers lose on both sides and it's awful. hopefully RCS support from apple fixes that but who knows.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 20, 2023

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

withoutclass posted:

Maybe it was a Square issue , the declined payment I had was also on a Square terminal and my physical card worked immediately.

just went out and made another purchase somewhere else. google pay failed. physical card worked. so annoying.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

youtube is good and the content is better than the scripted drama/comedy or reality poo poo on any of the other streaming services. i happily pay for premium to not watch ads. i also pay for netflix and barely ever watch it bc most of it sucks (i go on for a month or two and then back off for a while).

if you don't pay for it, you should see ads just like you get on free spotify or hulu. the real deplorable thing is sponsored content in the video itself bc manscaped or nordvpn or blue apron or whatever is sponsoring a content creator and they have to pretend they actually use the product

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

in actual android news, i removed and re-added my credit card to google pay and it works fine now.

used it today to pay for garage parking which actually used to never work with my 7 so that was a nice surprise

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i already got myself an ipad before i started considering the pixel tablet. when i went to pull the trigger i just wound up getting a nest hub max bc it's an actual smart home device vs being a weird in between phone/smart home hub.

if i didn't have an ipad i might have gotten the tablet instead so if you don't already have something to fill that niche then yeah it's probably a good get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

repiv posted:

it should be in the tiktok voice

https://voca.ro/1k8pTkZ6WJUW

cursed in the best possible way