Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Is there any way to ignore phone calls without rejecting them? Or at least both silence the ring/vibration AND minimize the call popup that takes up 20% of the screen? The first you can do by pressing the volume button to silence the notification. Flip to Shhh also works if turned on. But the popup is still there. I'm using a Samsung phone if that matters and would really appreciate some help. There are so many reasons I want this. From certain family members calling every thirty seconds if I reject their call, to employers I don't want to offend but can't answer to even say I'm busy, to just wanting to watch a movie without having to let an unknown number ring out.

Google doesn't give me much optimism. But then again a lot of the "answers" to people asking for this are e.g. 'just block unkown numbers and tell your family and friends your schedule ahead of time' or 'if you're too busy to pick up and tell them to call later you're too busy to be using your phone screen so just let it ring out' or, and I'm not kidding, 'try asking Google Assistant to take you to a page if the popup is blocking your address bar'. This doesn't mean there isn't a method. There might not be. But it could just be internet people being dicks.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Thank you for helping brainstorm, everyone!

But most thanks to Desk Lamp because it worked! Verified it with my friend calling just now.

Get a call. Press volume bar to silence. Then swipe left (which I presumed would answer the call).

Popup removed, call still going and can be taken from the notifications, friend doesn't get sent to voicemail right away like when a call is decline.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Pvt. Parts posted:

Where do you swipe left from? Just anywhere on the call popup (that's not the accept/decline sliders)?

I've only done it a few times but I think so! If in future it doesn't work I'll keep swiping in different places because it definitely works somewhere along the bar. (It might work swiping right but not for me, where I'm swiping from, so far, on my device.)

This is big news to me. It's a solution that's so simple and yet not on the first few pages of people asking on Google.

Once again thank you Desk Lamp you've saved me at least a minute or two of serious annoyance per day, near every day now and for the foreseeable future until they change the UI and get rid of this function.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 21, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

New Samsung A series line-up looking stellar. Some boast of two full days of battery life so that means I could probably actually get through one whole day without recharging.

Just too bad there are no compact options. It'd be cool to see a 6' or 6.1' lower-mid-range phone in 2023. I guess the Pixel a might count but I mean options plural and also the Google phone isn't on the lower end of mid-range.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

bull3964 posted:

I mean at this point, why even try. It looks like a Pixel, there's absolutely nothing to glean from those images and we'll have a full understanding on how the phone will perform when the Pixel 8 comes out in a month since it will be using the same SoC.

Phones are super boring now aside from foldables.

I actually think it's kind of ugly but that could be the stickers influencing my general perception of the phone.

And at least the gimmicks they try to sell new iPhones, Pixels, and Samsungs aren't the even worse gimmicks of the past.

With iPods it was something like:
Generation let's say 4: Add some colour to your life! Make your phone reflect your personality with your choice of white, black, grey, red, navy, and pink!
Gen 5: The classics are back: The new iPod, in only the most elegant colours of white & silver or black.
Gen 6: The rainbow is here again: White, black, red, fuchsia, blue and cream coloured iPods on sale now!
Gen 7: Let's return to basics: Our best iPod yet, in white & silver or black.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 22, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Okay even without the sticker those phones look ugly. Like what I imagine a mid-range model would look like if smartphones come swinging in the 80s.

The colours are mostly fine. Grey, cream, and pastel pink are nice enough and I'd like to have my phone in any one of these. That blue is okay. And I don't fancy black or white on gadgets. 3-4/6, one half or more of the variants are in baller colours.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I own several Samsung SmartTags and SmartTag+s. They're cool and have been useful if only for peace of mind. But all of them beep randomly. Sometimes they'll go for days without a peep and then beep three times in an hour. It's annoying in the evening especially.

Google isn't helpful. Queries on this just suggest you may have some weird batteries that the app shows at full charge yet are dying out of the pack. Or a virus. But I tried different name brand batteries. And a virus affecting SmartTags? Plus my neighbour has them and hers do the same thing.

Went to the Samsung service centre and they shrugged saying they've heard complaints before but never learned from Samsung what it is or how to fix the issue.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Desk Lamp posted:

They beep when the button is pressed. Are you sure the button isn't getting accidentally pressed in a pocket or something like that?

Yeah. It happens even when they're on my couch while I'm in bed, or on the desk at work.

It's also not the beep of a press. Or the one they make when settings are changed in the app on your phone.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Desk Lamp posted:

The only reason I could think for the beeping is that they are pinging off of unrelated devices. As part of the anti-stalking measures, the tag will beep if it detects that it is "following" an unconnected device (for example, to alert you that someone put a tag under your car seat to track you) It's possible that however you set up your tags, they're spending more time connected to an unrelated device. In fact, it could be the reason it happens to your neighbor as well.

Thanks for the suggestion. As far as I know the anti-stalking feature is limited to scanning for unknown tags in the vicitinity that follow you. I don't think they make an occassional beep at seemingly random intervals. Why they would do this rather than let you you know on your app would be beyond me. I *suppose* they could be designed to beep so that you know there's a SmartTag nearby. It would be far from effective, but it could be done. Yet my tags were doing this before anti-stalking rolled out.

My thought was that they might beep when being detected by another Samsung device. But no idea why this would be. And why only one would beep and not the others would again be beyond me.

I guess unless someone has knowledge Google and Samsung service centres don't I'm going to have to live with it.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Yeah this has put me off, on paper the Zenphone looks great (it even has a headphone jack!) but I keep my phones for a while, two years of OS updates is rough.

They should be embarassed to be honest.

Plenty of people only buy a smartphone with the next two years in mind. I think in some places surveyed it's a minority that plan to use theirs for three or more after purchase. But you want that to be because they want something newer and better rather than a lack of support.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 1, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Nope. No beep.

But later I got frustrated when one beeped, loudly this time, while I was trying to read. My neighbour wasn't home at the time.

A few escalations with Samsung support chat told me that sometimes force restarting the tag can work. So I did that with them and will see in a few days if the issue is truly fixed for me.

If it is I'll try to report back but at the same time I'm worried I'll hear a chirp the minute I post that things have quieted down.

e: Another deep dive through Google has also recommend turning on the "wifi silent zone" zone in the tags' settings. But I can't find them, the website giving the advice doesn't explain how to do it, and a search for SmartTag+"wifi silent zone" returns only that website as a result. lol

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 1, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

LOL I was in the Samsung store and asked to see the A54 so that I could report back to my friend.

The employee helping me was not not keen on recommending my friend place an order. 'It's just not a premium device' he said. I told him yeah but for a mid-range phone is has some premium features like a glass back. He just tapped on said back and said 'yeah but it's cheap glass'.

I think it's Corning Glass 5 and I don't know if they make it any different for high-end versus mid-range devices. The reviews are fine to stellar.

But your brother isn't the only one who sees the A and gets turned off. (I have an S because I prefer smaller smartphones and also I am bad with money.)

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 1, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Samsung SmartTags still not randomly beeping. I think that means hard-resetting solved the problem.

While combing through the settings I found a new (since I last looked) notify-me-when-left-behind feature. But it's not really useful to me because A) half the notifications are when the map starts describing it as an address on the parallel street while the tag is motionless in exactly the same spot B) the other half are that I've left an item at home even though I set home as a safe spot it shouldn't warn me about leaving it, C) the most important, when I have my phone on silent which I often due the alerts are also silent.

But here I am mad at a magic piece of plastic.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Wondering if they're not be too aggressive with protecting consumers. So hot on the tail of mandating USB-C, if they keep pushing Apple I presume there will at some point be a meeting in Cupertino where folks will straight ask 'How much would it cost to stage a coup in Brussels?'

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Somebody please help me!

The Gmail app on my S21 running Android 13 One UI 5.1 has stopped sending me notifications of new mail. In fact, I don't think it actively checks for new mail unless the app is open as when I open it there's a few seconds before they show up. If the app is open then I do get notifications.

The notification permissions are all granted. And I even cleared the cache, reset the app, and disabled then re-enabled it. I can't re-install it as you can't delete Gmail.

Not sure what can be done and I am freaking out a little bit.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 8, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Burden posted:

If you go to settings - Password and Accounts - Account Sync and go to your Gmail account - click Account Sync is sync turned on for your Gmail?

Yeah. And it's showing that it was last synced about an hour ago (when I had the app open).

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Maybe try turning battery optimization off for the Gmail app?

This worked. I think.

Set it to unrestricted and now some test emails got through right away even when the app isn't open.

No idea what I did to have it so screwy in optimised mode though. My Outlook app stays optimised and alerts me to new mail without issue. Guess I'll just have to take the hopefully tiny battery life hit leaving it unrestricted.

Thanks!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Nalin posted:

Samsung automatically sticks apps in deep sleep mode. You have to remove the app from the deep sleep list so it can work in the background.

See: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00088422/

It is in Never Sleeping. But it was, too.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Mental Hospitality posted:

Aren't they like...the same size?

Edit: The Pixel is 4.3mm taller which seems insignificant to me personally, but the camera bar does stick out more.

I don't want to fiddle around with gsmarena from my mobile browser but it could be quite a bit smaller.

My S21 was tiny when I bought it. But it looks like a regular big ol' phone compared to the S23 and it's a 0.1" difference in screen.

e: nvm the Pixel 8 is also 6.1"

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 9, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I'm just a Samsung guy.

I don't even laugh at the Apple folks. I am just as much in a cult. Only mine is dedicated to a faceless chaebol instead of a deceased guy who liked turtlenecks.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Not going to post examples since this is more of a rant than a tech support question. Although if you do have any suggestions, let me know please!

The camera software on my S21 sucks. Sure, when it's focused it's serviceable. Other than telling me that the 'best shot' is one that crops out a quarter of the painting or building I'm trying to snap, and breaking the rule of thirds.

But it's blurry and out of focus like wearing someone else's prescription glasses way too often. Sometimes I can move away or towards what I want to shoot and it adjusts fine. But sometimes that menu I want to send to a pal is just not going to be readable. (There are a few other issues. Like I can step back and the wallpaper looks yellow-white, but moving forward it becomes blueish-white. But the focus is the main thing.)

One suggestion that helped is turning off 64MP. Only a bit however it definitely did that bit. But the only other suggestion I've gotten is to use night mode. I might try it, but it'd be inconvenient.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I don't know about how this differs in the EU.

Norway for instance is very much iPhone Central so I'm not even sure kids there know why some messages are green unless they've seen memes about it.

Poland on the other hand, if we're talking the lower and lower-middle economic the iPhone is definitely a status symbol. But that also means few people have them and if they want to exclude green message people then they'll be pretty much alone. Middle economic class and up, the iPhone isn't even the hot item necessarily. A top model Samsung is.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

What's the reasoning if it's not just for jokes?

I'm not going into that thread.

e: I could see someone actually seriously thinking that the more ostrasized Android users become the sooner they'll switch to iPhones and that will benefit everyone.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

hark posted:

this poo poo boggles my mind. if I was the person being bullied about this I would just think the people doing the bullying had loving brain damage and then not take them seriously.

I know plenty of military folk who use WhatsApp instead of Signal even for semi-important things. Not state secrets or even military things necessarily. But they talk one to another about everything on the app. You could probably glean a bunch by getting all the WA messages unencrypted from them as a lot.

Like one captain can tell his younger sister still in officers' school that he's going away for a few months. If enough do this you can suspect an exercise that wasn't announced, and even have an idea of which units are involved.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 17, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

e: nvm. It still exists. You just have to connect, go to Galacy Wearable, click Find My Earbuds, then select More.

I'd like to set up Notify When Left Behind for my Galaxy Buds because I'm a forgetful idiot.

Anyone know how I might do this in late 2023? The instructions I'm finding seem to be from before they messed around with the applications. Some videos show them going through SmartThings Find which no longer exists. Others show them going through the new SmartThibgs app. But my wearables no longer show up through SmartThibgs (only on Galaxy Wearable) and Buds aren't on the list of devices you can add for the app yo control.

Did they unintentionally remove the feature or is it just some arcane set-up method now?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

There was a sale so I tried to buy my present early: a basic case for my S21. They're not around much anymore; neither the initially huge selection of cases by Samsung nor Ringke or Spigen cases.

This one seemed promising. The 'producer' talked it up of course but they did it with enough detail I believed them. Moreover they boast all over about being made locally rather than in China. Like It's one of their main pitches. Something like 'Not only are our cases technically made in this country, but the entire production process takes place here. We are very proud that each and every case we sell is stamped with Made in X on the inside and every box they come in reads Made in X as well!'

Whelp. It came yesterday. Of course it is a sticky case with MADE IN CHINA on it. There was no box, just one of those cheap sharp-edged clear baggies with Made in China on it as well.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Quickie: There's no way to remove apps from the list scheduled for Deep Sleep without putting them on the Never Sleep list, right? Other than using them enough to get them taken off the list that is.

I mean there is a large overlap between apps I don't want going into deep sleep now and apps I never want into deep sleep but it's not a perfect circle.

edit: It's adding them to Never Sleep then removing them. But I don't think you can just remove them for the list of apps scheduled for deep sleep in one go.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 12, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I guess this is only Android adjacent. But right now when I log in to Gmail on a computer e.g. at the university, Google

Prompts both my phones to verify the login attempt (this is fine)
Sends a notification to both my phones (okay)
Emails my Google account to let me know (I guess, but like, it was verified and successful)
Emails my associated backup accounts (Real, real overkill for a verified login)

There has to be a better way to make sure I could be informed of an actual break-in without hearing eight different new message requests I have to deal with. But the only way I can see how to do that is to just turn off stuff that would actually be useful in case someone got my password.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Okay, my S21 stopped letting me double tap the side button to get at Bixby. The side key settings niow say Bixby is disable, choose another app. The list to choose from doesn't have Bixby on it.

Bixby is not disabled in the Apps list. It works fine and I can bring it up by saying Hey Bixby or clicking the icon on my screen.

Oh. Merry Christmas!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Yeah. I use both Bixby and Assistant because between them they can handle basic functions.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

e: Sorry problem fixed itself(?)

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 11, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Whoo, Facebook (I know) has started sending me push apps for group recommendations.

I guess I just have to learn to live with it since I can't find the relevant settings (and already have notifications for groups in general turned off).

Excellent work guys. That dude that doesn't even want to hear about his own friends posting in the groups he's actually already in? That dude is just waiting to get notified of a new bookclub in a nearby city.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 27, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I'd ask what the purpose of this is, why they would do extra work to do something that might very well annoy the user without generating any kid of revenue or substantially improving the experience for anyone.

But lol those things are irrelevant

And I wouldn't be that surprised to learn that the honest answer is 'Actually, our aging users appreciate being informed of new racist militias close to them, even if their grandchildren set the group notifications off when setting up their account.'

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I had a chance to see the S24. For those who got it already, how do you feel about the flat frame? I actually thought that a flat frame would look more professional on the S line. But holding it in my hand felt slightly awkward. Although maybe just because I'm not used to it.

bull3964 posted:

That's why I have no trouble at all believing 7 years of updates from Google. The Pixel 8 will probably still be a perfectly cromulent device in 2030 while we fight the wasteland water gangs.

I would think that if anything a shorter support life would be on the horizon if the speed of hardware improvements flattens out even more.

Also, who buys a Pixel as opposed to a Pixel a? I know plenty of people making six figures. The majority of my friends and acquaintances in fact. Even those who aren't stingy at all don't see the point of the flagship.

Also also, I played around with a iPhone SE at the same time as I saw the S24 in the store. It seems super slow. Even just opening up the notes app was lagging.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I came across Windows Defender while in the Play Store. I hadn't even know there was a mobile version, actually.

So now I'm wondering two things: 1) Is there any real point of an antivirus program on Android when you run all the default safety features in that unrooted OS? 2) What free or near-free AV would you recommend?

[Sorry for posting this in both of the threads here but I wonder if there would be different responses and I just want to be over and done with this.]

Thanks!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

A lot of my sometimes inflated but always precarious self worth is tied up with being a young professional. That might tell you I'm not all that smart and I would agree. But there it is. And combined with my love of miniature (!?!?) phones I am left with basically only the smallest of the S series and two of the iPhone models.

Which is too bad because Pixels go for anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 less depending on if we're talking latest flagship or the latest a version. They just don't feel like serious phones. And I can't even explain why. It's not like I even know what Knox does to protect me or my sensitive data. And presumably Google pushes security updates faster than Samsung and possibly Apple.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

sourdough posted:

If you're talking about the latest in each line, a pixel 8, iPhone 15, and galaxy s24 are basically identical in size. If you're talking about sticking with iPhone minis and whatever Galaxy s from years ago is smaller, then rip to your options for new phones :frogbon:

No that's exactly what I meant. Standard S from the previous however many years: 6.1"-6.2". iPhone and iPhone Pro from last few years: 6.1".

And then you have the Pixel a and regular version Pixel ranging from 6.1"-6.3" but like I said it just doesn't feel serious. Even though I'm sure there are plenty of judges and generals using them. (And others less neurotic than me probably use mid-range Oppo phones.)

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

bull3964 posted:

WTF does "feeling serious" even mean?

I mean it in the most intuitive way. Does carrying around legal briefs in a Jansport backpack feel serious? Does breaking news to a patient while wearing either a bright orange Swatch or a diamond encrusted Movado? A Miata or a Humvee feel like a serious car?

You can say to the above any of 'Yes', 'Who cares?', or 'Phones are nothing like these examples'. That's why I say it's my subjective feeling and I don't think anyone else should have it because I don't even want to feel this way.

bull3964 posted:

I think you have some hangups you need to work through.

I know right?

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 14, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Quixzlizx posted:

The imaginary, shallow people you're trying to impress (you're projecting) are going to care more about the suit you're wearing and the car you're driving, since I'm assuming all "young professionals" can afford whatever phone they want, and they all look basically the same unless you go out of your way to choose a garish color or case. And 90% of people use cases anyway.

Oh I know. But it's not exactly projecting because even I don't judge people by their phones. And it's not about looking all big time and important. It's about not looking the opposite. I know deep down that a Pixel is just fine. But I hold one and it feels like a very, very well made toy. To me. One more time I know that's ridiculous.

Want to know the really crazy thing? Yes, I have nice clothes. But I don't iron my shirts. Or polish my shoes beyond wiping them with a damp cleaning cloth.

As for covers I do have one anecdote about that. I was filming a video and for the scene where I'm showing an app on my screen to the camera the director told me to take the cover, which was a basic off-white Samsung cover that I thought looked professional/clinical enough, off to make it clear it was an "adult" (not my words) phone.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I wouldn't make something this stupid up.