Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

XIII posted:

What do you guys think of capacitive vs on screen buttons?

give me a goddamn physical keyboard back :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

First page hot take: once you go foldable you never go slab.

I almost bought a z flip 5 today to replace my pixel 6 pro, but I changed my mind last second (it's too expensive)

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
enjoying the hell out of lineageOS on p6p. shits dank.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Mental Hospitality posted:

The 7a is currently on sale in the Google store for $444 (in the U.S. anyways), BUT the regular 7 is also on sale for $449. Just Google being Google. If you're not waiting for the 8, the regular 7 seems like the way to go.

do we know when the 8 series are dropping? I'm considering either getting one of those or pulling the trigger on a z flip 5

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Bright Bart posted:

Is there any way to ignore phone calls without rejecting them? Or at least both silence the ring/vibration AND minimize the call popup that takes up 20% of the screen? The first you can do by pressing the volume button to silence the notification. Flip to Shhh also works if turned on. But the popup is still there. I'm using a Samsung phone if that matters and would really appreciate some help. There are so many reasons I want this. From certain family members calling every thirty seconds if I reject their call, to employees I don't want to offense but can't answer yo even say I'm busy, to just wanting to watch a movie without having to let an unkiwn number ring out.

Google doesn't give me much optimism. But then again a lot of the "answers" to people asking for this are e.g. 'just block unkown numbers and tell your family and friends your schedule ahead of time' or 'if you're too busy to pick up and tell them to call later you're too busy to be using your phone screen so just let it ring out' or, and I'm not kidding, 'try asking Google Assistant to take you to a page if the popup is blocking your address bar'. This doesn't mean there isn't a method. There might not be. But it could just be internet people being dicks.

perhaps using a different phone app to handle calls might make a difference? I don't have this problem so I'm not 100% sure

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Aware posted:

I'd note that I have no idea if stock Android can do the dual messenger app thing also, it was definitely a Samsung only thing that was a leading reason I bought in to their phones originally. Maybe it's been copied out to Android now I dunno. Just to be clear.

can't you also do multi messenger with a work profile or something like insular?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I had a Garmin instinct solar and the regular feature were nice but the sleep tracking was absolutely awful and very inaccurate. wish they'd fix that cause I loved the watch otherwise. curious about the new pixel watch 2 as well cause I've been mostly satisfied with the first Gen.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, well I have a Gshock that does steps, heartrate, workout tracking, and notifcations and I haven't had to charge it since the initial unboxing 4 months ago!

do regular gshocks have activity tracking stuff now? I haven't owned one since I was a teen and I completely forgot they existed until seeing this mention.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I ended up cracking the screen on my pixel 6 pro yesterday at work, so maybe this is a sign that I should upgrade (I really just wanna mess with the new 8 pro and get that $50 LTE watch)

Edit: in the interim I'm using my old pixel 3 and I'm surprised at how snappy it still is. Battery life isn't great so far but it's mostly plugged in for the majority of the day anyway so meh.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

bull3964 posted:

I would keep an eye on Best Buy trade in deals. Last year they were offering at one point a bonus even if the screen was cracked.

I think I'm gonna just pay the 29 bucks for the insurance claim to fix it and then trade it in good as new

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

bull3964 posted:

I really think it's odd that media outlets aren't making a bigger deal out of the fact that Google has managed to do Level 3 Biometrics with a simple front facing camera. Imagine if Apple were able to shrink the notch Dynamic Island to a single hole punch, everyone would be going insane about their innovation. Maybe it's Google's fault for also not really calling attention to it in the keynote.

It's sleeper stuff like this that Google is doing with Tensor that I think is going to be cumulative over time. All anyone talks about is the ARM core arrangement and the GPU on these SoCs, but there's a whole ton of silicon dedicated to doing ML stuff that doesn't come across in a spec sheet and this stuff seems to be accelerating like crazy. I suspect that by the time we get to Pixel 10, the Video Boost stuff will probably be done in real time on device.

It's like the only really exciting stuff happening on mobile right now. Over time, I think there's going to be a real divergence between a smartphone defined as a device that accesses the internet and runs applications from an app store and a smartphone as a real personal assistant that background manages the minutia of life. It's gonna get really crazy once google starts baking in means for Bard to interact with apps and services you may have on your phone.

"Hey Google, plan my dinner for the week, I'm planning on getting takeout on Friday."

In the background, Bard finds 6 dinners based on your dietary preferences and restrictions, breaks down the ingredients list, interfaces with the app for your local grocery store and places an order for the ingredients, checks your calendar and selects a pickup time that would work best on your schedule, puts the dinners on your calander based on prepation time and ingredient shelf life (being sure to allow plenty of time to cook/eat/and cleanup around other events), then plops the recipes into Keep for you to access at prep time. This all happens on device.

I am not in any way shape or form trying to form a commentary on privacy implications here. I'm simply saying that all of this stuff is more exciting than "your phone can run Resident Evil 4 now."

be super cool if an open source version of this came into existence for lineageOS 25 or whatever.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I caved and got the regular Pixel 8, $260 off plus free pixel bud pros sold me.

I'll have to sleep some more on if I want to upgrade from the versa 2 to the pixel watch 2

I also caved. got the 8 pro with the LTE watch. I will report back once my buyers remorse kicks in full steam

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

GreenBuckanneer posted:

US Mobile is considerably cheaper than Google Fi ($25 vs $65 is a no brainer) but US Mobile doesn't yet support LTE smart watches

my main reason for being on fi is that you get 5 free data only sims. I have one for my watch, one for my iPad, and three left to use at my discretion. it's pretty great for the price.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Puddin posted:

I really am at a loss for what to replace my broken screen Pixel 5 with.

If I get the replacement part, I'd probably do the battery as well, which here would be close to $400AUD, which I don't wanna drop cause if I gently caress it up, I don't have a backup phone to fall back on.

I initially baulked at the price of the P8, but my carrier is giving away the watch 2 for free with pre order of either the 8 or the Pro, pro being way to expensive.

So I could resell the watch if I felt like it (I won't).

And with from what I've read that some of the software stuff is intentionally held back from the 8 to draw people to buy the pro is irking me somewhat.

And I don't really wanna dip into Apple, or back to Samsung either, so I guess roll with the busted screen for as long as it takes?

I still have a Samsung note 8 that has a super cracked screen. I won't fix it because it's like 250 for the repair and the phone isn't even worth that much now but it still works as a backup phone. I just put a screen protector over the broken screen so it doesn't cut my fingers when I use it and besides the cracks being visible, it still works fine.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
drat they updated my pixel 8 pro and watch 2 ship dates from October 13th to fuckin November 13th :qq:

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

AlexDeGruven posted:

Did you order right when it went live or wait until the end of the event?

If you're not right on top of it, you may have missed the first batch

Just checked mine and the estimated delivery shows the 12th so far.

I thought I was on time, since it originally said earlier. but it's later as of today.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

hark posted:

drat they updated my pixel 8 pro and watch 2 ship dates from October 13th to fuckin November 13th :qq:

whew! just got done with a customer service chat, and apparently that shipping date update was an error and they are actually sending it out on the 13th. we'll see!

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

The Merkinman posted:

There's probably interest, but given Pixel 8 isn't in people's hands and the Pixel 7 still doesn't have14 if you're on T-Mobile/Google Fi, not many people have Android 14 yet.

I'm on 6 pro on Fi and have 14

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
where is this view in the settings? I'm not seeing it

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Alarbus posted:

The last beta they put out was 8.0.6 on... July 11th on their Discord. The update/release cycle is really long.

Also, I updated my 6 Pro to 14, and didn't have the issues that isndl is seeing, and I really only use Nova Launcher (though I'm on the beta above)

I updated p6p to 14 and I had that same issue, but only until I restarted the phone and then it's been gone since. I also use nova launcher.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

5TonsOfFlax posted:

I received a 20% off coupon for the pixel 8/pro in my email this morning. Worth pulling the trigger now, or is the consensus that black friday deals will still be better? I'm thinking black friday, because this coupon code expires mid November.

I didn't pull the trigger on release because I've already got a watch and earbuds, but I didn't realize that the trade in value of my pixel 3XL was so high then ($200) compared to now ($25).

all trade in values went down seemingly right after the deal ended. my pixel 6 pro was worth like 425 I think and now it's not even half that.

also I'd gladly take that coupon if you're not gonna use it :D

my order got cancelled after a bunch of back and forth because apparently I went slightly over my 1000 limit with Google credit in trying to purchase the deal, and rather than tell me that was why, they kept moving the ship date out farther and farther and then telling me not to worry about it. so I'd be able to get the 8 pro after all if I had 20% off, as that would put the order + tax below 1000

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

BonoMan posted:

Ok what the hell. I thought I had this solved, but no dice.

Android 14 - Pixel 7.

I'm taking some simple product shots on a white light box background. I bump up the exposure in the camera app to blow out the background, and when I look at the snapped photo in the camera app, it looks great.

But when I download from photos, the exposure is somehow set back to normal and the background is all mid-tones. What is going on?!? Occasionally one *will* retain the exposure... but if I sit there and take 5 or 6 more with the same exposure settings, the rest are all reset to 0.

Question still remains - any recommended camera apps beyond the stock one? I love Filmic Pro for video control, but it doesn't do stills.

I really like Open Camera

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
finally actually ordered an 8 pro. delivery date is the 20th. excited to finally get my hands on this drat thing. 6pro trade in value was only 130 😭 so I might just keep it as a backup.

anyone have the pixel watch 2 yet and have any reviews? I have the first one and was thinking of switching.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Resdfru posted:

There was an article a while back about some NBA guy that got bullied into getting an iPhone cause he was green bubbling the chat

But I agree with what someone else said, I don't care what color my chat is on someone else's screen Im just happy that I won't get horrid tiny blurry mms pics and videos from the iPhone people in my life who refuse to get another chat app but insist on sending everything through text

this poo poo boggles my mind. if I was the person being bullied about this I would just think the people doing the bullying had loving brain damage and then not take them seriously.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Regretful Humming posted:

I got stupid lucky and was able to get the majority of people that I text onto Signal.

them dropping support for sms really dented the amount of people I talk to on there, but it's still a decent amount. I'm used to using 2 apps to talk to people now though

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Kirios posted:

I’m sure y’all are also the people that insist to use SMS as your 2FA.

Password4321 has been working fine all these years and there's no way you NERDS are gonna convince me I should change it :grin:

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

ShoogaSlim posted:

currently sitting at a best buy figuring i would trade in the 7 im typing this on for $100 on top of the black friday deal for an 8 but the value dropped from 100 to 41 bucks over the last... week? this is for a damaged back glass btw. a fully functional 7 would only be worth 82 bucks. pretty preposterous if you ask me but hey that's the world we live in.

still, im committed to the decision and just gonna grab an 8 anyway and throw my 7 in the same drawer as my 5 and 2xl

do you have to use Best buy? cause even today google store was offering more than 100 for the 6 pro trade in

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

ShoogaSlim posted:

hmm good tip, thanks. but i do prefer to buy from a physical location. having to wait for stuff in the mail, which i've had trouble with in the past, and then not having anywhere to bring a product that's defective or that needs service is not my jam.

sort of on that note, I ordered my 8 pro yesterday, ship date was the 20th, and it arrived about an hour ago. I'm rooting it now so I can backup everything fully. excited it's here but shocked it came so fast.

oh also to edit, I have Google Fi, and they contract out to a specific repair shop that I forget the name of, but I broke my screen a while back on my 6 pro and had it fixed the next day.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Loving this 8 pro so far. Snappier/more responsive than my 6p, and things just feel smoother. Battery life has been way better too.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Bottom Liner posted:

These posts don't deserve any response beyond :lol:

And barely even that

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I thought it was just the new braille feature....?!?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Scam Likely posted:

The default Samsung Gallery app was really good at balancing file structure and content. I'll share if I find an app that has actual subfolder controls.

I use Simple Gallery from the simple suite of apps. I fuckin hate googles bullshit sometimes and that includes their stupid photos implementation. Horrible.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Alan_Shore posted:

Got it from Aliexpress. Yeah I just got a generic magsafe phone holder you put on your car vent and boom you slap the phone on it and it stays there! It's wonderful, no more clips!

My problem with doing this is that it's cold here and my phone gets hot as poo poo as is from being even slightly near the vents on its current windshield mount. I think if I were to mount it directly on the vent it would just immediately overheat. Sucks cause it's a perfect spot besides the heat.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Got my Pixel 8 Pro today (it is a nice phone!) but not the trade in kit. Does that come separately?

This post just made realize that I never got mine lmao

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Maybe that's a Verizon thing. Now here's something odd. I have an unlocked Pixel from the Google store and use USMobile which is a Verizon MVNO, even shows Verizon as the mobile network. When I setup my Pixel 8 it took the liberty of installing at least one Verizon app which is completely useless to me, as I have a USMobile account, not a Verizon account.

Maybe carrier locked phones install even more of their crap?

I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that even unlocked pixels have the Verizon app hidden away in them just in case it's needed. But I might just be hallucinating that memory.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Alan_Shore posted:

Good lord, its a hellscape. America seems like a horror show

Yeah pretty much

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

There really isn't a way to do a thorough backup with Android is there? Setting up my new phone and I have to re-setup all my outlook accounts, etc? Or would it copy over if I did a device to device transfer vs a Google Cloud restore?

I know people are against the idea, but this is pretty much the only reason I still root, is to run swift backup on my phone. It backs up everything. I have had the "same" phone for 3 phones now because I just restore backup every time I get a new one and it's almost exactly the same as my last one, barring slight differences when there's an os update and stuff

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

the last page of posts in this thread posted:

Lmao

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I had Samsung phones since the Galaxy S Captivate and all the way up to the note 8 (I skipped the 7) but I switched to pixels starting with the pixel 3 and am now on the 8 pro, and I just like pixels better. Probably a big part of that too though is that I love to root for various reasons and Samsung last I heard has built in hardware fuses that blow if you try to root :barf:

Out of my Samsung phones, my s5 and note 8 still work, albeit with horrible battery life, but everything else just broke in one way or another. For pixels, I've never had one go bad and my 3 is still my fully working backup phone that I currently use as a work phone with a data only sim on fi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I like the app Insular for managing work profile stuff, including second camera + second gallery