Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
godDAMN I'm so tired of this stupid loving super slick phone backs.

I usually have a case on my phone (Pixel7) but took it off to put it in a tripod for something I was doing for a friend. Then I was in the bathroom and set it on a counter. Set it on a loving ceramic top counter and it goddamn repelled the phone like a loving magnet. Just slid right off like a lovely hoverboard. Smashed the corner on the tile bathroom floor.

Godfuckingdamnit do they not test this poo poo? It's the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

They look like slabs and there's nothing inherently pretty or ugly about them.

I've felt this way for so long now. Phone comes out... it's just a screen with a case... and people just go "omg that thing is sooo loving ugly ewwwww."

I mean they all look nearly exactly the same except with a different camera hump. It's just so ridiculous.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
yooo audio magic eraser... nice

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ok what the hell. I thought I had this solved, but no dice.

Android 14 - Pixel 7.

I'm taking some simple product shots on a white light box background. I bump up the exposure in the camera app to blow out the background, and when I look at the snapped photo in the camera app, it looks great.

But when I download from photos, the exposure is somehow set back to normal and the background is all mid-tones. What is going on?!? Occasionally one *will* retain the exposure... but if I sit there and take 5 or 6 more with the same exposure settings, the rest are all reset to 0.

Question still remains - any recommended camera apps beyond the stock one? I love Filmic Pro for video control, but it doesn't do stills.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 28, 2023

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I know I've complained about the fringing on my Pixel 7 camera before but this CANT be normal operation right? This isn't blur. I've taken this photo 10 or so times. Clear on a small circle in the middle and ghosting as you go outwards. The black packaging helps it be clearer.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah it's definitely a closer shot. Still amazed it's that crappy. Oh well. Glad to know it's normal.

Is that poor close performance a trade off for something else that makes it worth it? Or just a limitation of the physical tight space?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

Apparently Google is sending out another $125 off the 8 and 8 Pro if you are a YouTube premium subscriber that stacks with the current discount.

https://9to5google.com/2023/12/12/pixel-8-youtube-premium/

Man wish they'd do that for the Pixel Tablet! I redeemed my 40% off reward for the tablet... but it doesn't stack with the current $100 off sale (at checkout the $100 gets added back on). I'd do it if they stacked those sales.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
ShoogaSlim should have no problem returning his Pixel with all those receipts goddamn

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ShoogaSlim posted:

it's really not that difficult to understand at all. it's 100% apple's fault from a strategy standpoint.

most people are not posting on a hyper niche Internet forum. most people don't understand the format of places like something awful or reddit which is more mainstream but still niche.

why do you think the feed is one of the most popular software innovations of the last decade? people are lazy. they open an app and scroll and scroll. instagram, facebook, twitter, tiktok, etc.

if i have an iphone and i text everyone i know from the app that comes with the phone and i can append a 👍 or 😂 to a message and make a little sticker out of a photo someone sent me, why would i use anything else?

now let's say you become friends with someone with an android phone and none of that stuff works. and images and videos send looking like poo poo. and a group thread behaves all wonky. you're not going to download another app and create a login and password (that your text message app doesn't need) just to talk to one person. you're going to tell them they should get an iphone.

most people aren't in information technology roles. most people are marketers and copywriters and sales people. most people don't know what 2FA or encryption is. people are lazy, and apple capitalizes on that laziness. tim cook himself addressed the problem of text message compatibility by saying if it were your grandma, that your grandma should just get an iphone. and that's the exact same attitude most iphone users also have.

Yes this is definitely the case but from what I understand it's also a very uniquely American issue as we rely on native messaging apps and the rest of the world use WhatsApp/Signal/Telegram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My android auto navigation now shows 3D buildings on it. That new or did I accidentally turn something on?