Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I've been looking at the Galaxy Z Fold, but I'm not sure I could justify paying for a new one. Any advice on shopping for pre-owned specimens? Which generation should I look for to avoid the issues with the early folding OLED screens, yet get something approaching a reasonable price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Aware posted:

Samsung has recentlyish added a limiter you can enable that makes it stop at 80 or 85% charge, maybe the pixel has the same? AccuBattery can do the same if not. I don't know if this is super important but it seems to be becoming 'a thing'.

Well, that has been recommended for electric cars for a while now. Plus any decent smartphone these days will have plenty of battery life that one could stop charging at 80% and still have enough power for a day of normal use. Seems only logical that phones should get that feature.

Alan_Shore posted:

I got my Fold 3 on eBay for a great deal and it worked perfectly. I think you'll do well with the 3, I had no problems with the performance or battery at all, same with the folding

Checking eBay, it looks like the Fold 4 isn't that much more expensive. Even the 5 isn't too too horrible (about $900 for a refurbished 512GB model). I had forgotten that my current phone also came from eBay - thank you.