Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Watching the keynote ... they just heavily implied "and our camera isn't racist!" (Paraphrasing, "true skin tone" while showing a photo of a black person)

I wonder how that will go over. It's been an issue through all digital cameras and since the beginning of film photography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Thanks, the more you know. Been paying more attention because our Poly meeting room cameras loving suck for this.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lol a $54 CAD trade-in value for my OnePlus 9P. I wasn't expecting anything but still funny. Wonder why they even bother.

Looks good, but it's $1349 for 128 GB or $1429 CAD for 256 GB. I'll see what OnePlus 12 offers. This'll probably cheaper by then anyway.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Used Google Lens in Greece this summer and it was just loving amazing. Only annoying thing is that there isn't a great way to save photos from it if I wanted them for later. Either I can do live translation (and take a screenshot I suppose), or take a picture, and then send that to Google Lens.

Anyway it was great to make sure I could safely eat packaged food, understand menus, and I was impressed that it could translate the "ROB TOURISTS" graffiti.

repiv posted:

what's going on with googles find-my network, they delayed it back in july citing apple still needing to roll out their side of the anti-stalker system and we still haven't heard anything since then
Curious about this too. I finally settled on Tile when they had announced this. Fortunately the Tile network still seems robust enough here.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Kirios posted:

Pixel 8 and 8 Pro have the same kind of overheating issues:

https://wccftech.com/pixel-8-pro-tensor-g3-geekbench-6-and-3d-mark-wild-life-benchmarks/

It's kinda what made me decide to just stick with my 7. I'm good for now.
"Though these results prove that Google’s Tensor G3 is playing catch-up with the competition, it is unconfirmed if the two flagships are completely unusable under real-world use."

lol

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Got my OnePlus wireless charger finally. I'm guessing that since it was 50% off, 12 again won't have wireless. But it should keep my 9 going for some time and I look forward to not waking up with 1% battery because my damaged USB-C port has ejected the cable again.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

More than happy with my Watch 5 Pro but lol I'd be ecstatic with a throwback to the Pebble Time. That's all I needed, and loved it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Camera nerds break down the Pixel 8 & Pro:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/7312687980/google-pixel-8-and-pixel-8-pro-camera-whats-new

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Mr. Mercury posted:

I found there's a fair few threads like that; sometimes years pass between sincere posts
I find myself talking to myself in many threads lol. WearOS is one of them.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Is there an approved "good" method for getting Google Play Store running on Windows 11?

Guides found in search are looking kind of sketchy, and apparently a popular method was found installing malware last year...

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lol not getting as big a discount. And wondering if I should just list my 9P as perfect though it has one scratch on the screen (just let them take off whatever they're going to drop).

Also I shouldn't, but caaaaaaan afford it. The lack of wireless charging is a minor bummer but not a dealbreaker.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

but I am already getting sucked into all the little poo poo apple does to try and lock you in their ecosystem. Having my wife share the pets AirTags with me was a real “ohhh I get it now” moment.

In comparison most, if not all of googles main apps are available on iPhone with no noticeable difference in quality or usability. Gmail, Maps, Home, Photos, Calendar etc.
I'm guessing there's no reason you can't share Android-compatible tags with iOS users. The lock-in is real, but I don't see what's good about it.

I agree the apps are essentially the same. Only nuisance I've noticed different is that Google Home is slightly less functional on my partner's iPhone. Could work around it with automations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Had a Google Wallet one fail on my Samsung watch this weekend mysteriously ... worked fine with the same digital card at the next shop.

Just switched to Wallet from Samsung Pay so I could put my transit card on it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

OnePlus 12 event Dec 5.

Will probably be my next phone as someone enticed being able to pay full-price. Unless something is egregiously wrong with it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ha I wish I could afford their fold, but not this year.

I also thought they had announced the Hasselblad relationship was over :shrug:

I wish they maintained (returned) wireless charging but it seems unlikely with that design. But I'll be less of a dummy with my next phone and not bring my weight down on my usb-c-charging phone, wrecking the port.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

OnePlus 12 announcement in like three hours :dance:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

They appeal to me because I can generally afford to buy them full price and my 9P is in a rough state (mostly my own fault). The telecommunications industry is Canada is amongst the worst in the world and I just want to be able to replace my phone and not upset my unicorn $30/mth plan.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lucky for me all the remaining people using Facebook Messenger switched to Signal during that big outage a few years ago.

Almost no one uses SMS with me except for scammers. Got a really weird one claiming I had a $6.82 balance on the toll road. That's ridiculous because it's impossible to spend that little on the 407. And I don't drive.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yes, it's always hilarious when people just spout "switch everyone to signal" or some poo poo when these conversations come up. They do not live in the real world
No one expects it to happen over night. What I don't understand is people who can't stand the burden of running more than one app.

When exchanging contact information with people I just say, "my preference is Signal or What's App if you don't use that". That means nothing to a lot of people, but people will generally check it out eventually if it comes up often enough.

I've had people I would never have considered savvy (like gen X neighbours) ask me if I use Signal because they're not comfortable with Facebook. Anyway sorry your world sucks.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I don't mind adding apps and using them for different people/purposes. It doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
Yeah my attitude now is they're just notifications, and app switching is so fast. Not sure how it is on other models, but I noticed recently the Contacts app on my OnePlus actually throws all the Signal & WhatsApp contacts in too as separate entries if they're not in my address book (to my chagrin ... I'd rather disable that but couldn't see how).

It's funny though, I used to be obsessed with Trillian and having all the networks run in one app/programme. Gave up eventually when networks started actively blocking that from working.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It feels like Discord was hot poo poo at the height of the pandemic among "normies" but it's dropped precipitously.

Anyway clearly there are regional/age/hobby reasons for who uses what. Dumb thing to argue about or have strong opinions over.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Hah I deleted my remarks about ICQ/AIM/WLM.

But I stopped using it when a Russian hacker stole it (somehow he knew to register an ancient hotmail address I had let lapse, and ICQ would restore your password to any email you had registered with it even if it wasn't on your profile any longer) ... I found out by googling my number. By then though I only had one active friend still on it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm ... embarrassed. I thought my USB-C port was broken for half a year, after I put my weight on the connection when the phone was charging in my bed. Turns out it was actually ...just packed densely with pocket lint.

In completely unrelated news, the Backbone is awesome and completely exceeds my expectations. Heard a lot of people say it "feels loose" but I don't have that experience.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Blurb3947 posted:

I've tried a few solutions for phone gaming, mostly just streaming Steam games but I think I just hate gaming on such a tiny screen. Lag wasn't really an issue except in games where you needed split second reactions which seems to be all I play lol
My screen's bigger than most portable devices I've used over the years. Never owned a Switch though. I've also been playing mobile games for ages regardless, just nice that ones with touch controls I hated are actually playable and great now. Maybe I'll finally finish GTA: San Andreas lol. (The Netflix "Definitive Edition" on mobile is actually a hell of a lot better than the PC/console one.)

Veering out of the thread topic, but it is hardware ... Symphony of the Night plays fantastic with it. When I tried using an 8bitdo controller before the button mapping was off. The annoying thing however is that down on the right-stick activates the map and is way too easy to hit accidentally. The select button already opens the map, so it's pretty stupid. It would be wonderful if Backbone let you remap controls, especially per-game.

The Backbone software is actually pretty good too otherwise.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 10, 2024

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Serotoning posted:

How did you get it out?
In the past had poked the port with a sim card release tool, but it didn't seem to be effective. Maybe I should have poked harder? I didn't realise that was the actual problem at the time.

I used the thin plastic blade tool from an Ifixit kit (the "Halberd Spudger") which released it and ... then it just kept coming out.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It's weird to me that it's literally the first time this was ever an issue for me. Coworkers said it's been a constant struggle in the smartphone era.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ordered my OP12. We'll see how that goes :)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You have to do it per group. :rolleyes:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

OnePlus 12 arriving tomorrow! :dance:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

OnePlus 12 arriving tomorrow! :dance:

I was at an office event until midnight lol. Morning thoughts, mostly OP9P vs. OP12:

• feels iterative, but "I can tell" it's much nicer in a lot of ways. I know my old phone was busted, but I'd normally have been at ~70% battery by now after an early wake up. Not that it means much, but 92% currently using it constantly.
  • it's going to take a while to get used to controls being moved around, specifically volume switching to the right side, and the fingerprint sensor moving up an inch. Frankly the volume change is welcome, I have so many accidental screenshots from the old placement.
  • lol haven't had an IR blaster since an S5... might be fun, but my TV & receiver apps for controlling them are functional.
  • glad the camera notch is no longer blocking 'view draw pile' in Slay the Spire
  • big downside of OnePlus is not having the same case options. Stuff currently on Amazon looks pretty lovely. The OP default one is fine. There are a couple I like from US stores (I think I want the rugged Spiggen one before I travel), but shipping to Canada is absurd. It seems they make it to Best Buy or amazon.ca eventually, so I will be patient.
  • the face unlock is startingly fast ... it doesn't even register to me the phone is unlocked half the time. Maybe I should have updated my image on my old phone at some point.
  • the sponsored ads when looking for specific poo poo in Google Play are kinda wild. Like major brands like Microsoft putting their ...unrelated!... apps above. Do I really give a poo poo about Microsoft Defender when I want Okta Verify?? But it's constant.

The battery thing was pretty poo poo. On Tuesday I had to charge my phone twice during the day and was still almost dead by the time I got home. I probably should have factory-reset that phone to see if it helped, but didn't want to bother knowing I had a new one coming soon enough,

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Strange problem I'm having with my phone where Google Play Games isn't syncing data. The option for it is also missing on my Google Account sync settings oddly.

Lots of articles about it online but nothing seems to be helping. Anyone run into this or any ideas?

Everything is up to date. It signs in, just doesn't sync any data. I know not all games use that feature, but Slay the Spire definitely does.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Cross post from the game's thread...

Seems like Slay the Spire, and specifically cloud/save transfers are hella bugged in Android 14, and cloud backup + dailies are busted. This is excellent timing after getting a new phone, and needing to send my old one back for trade-in next week. Just hoping it gets fixed quick (yeah right) or that my old folder will work after a patch.

Currently it crashes after the intro logos if I copy my data in manually via a Windows desktop before installing the game. If I install the game before copying my data, I can't write to the folders mysteriously.

Sounds like a permissions issue. Solid Explorer can't see my Android data files on the OP12, but still works fine on the OP9 on Android 13.1.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Finally sent my OnePlus 9 Pro back for the rebate... curious to see how it goes. If everything was perfect it was worth $430 CAD, but I definitely had one small hook scratch on the screen.

I don't think I have a single complaint about the 12. The battery life seemed peculiar the first day or two (judging from the percentage gauge which I know takes some time to calibrate) ... you'd expect more use and screen-on time but I was just busy. But the battery has been solid ever since and I'm typically at 60% by bed.

I have liked the previous camera tuning. I still haven't had a great reason to take serious photos with the camera. I will say it's pretty good at getting contrast out of our Christmas black kittens.

Nothing to object to with performance. I guess people have complained about other (OnePlus) phones getting warm, and I do remember that with my 9 sometimes... literally never felt the 12 heat up.

Gotten used to ColorOS and haven't used nude Android for a long time.

I do wish it didn't have a curved screen, but fwiw this one doesn't seem to have been as annoying as my 9 was on the curved edge.

My only peeve is that Slay the Spire is just busted on Android 14 and won't sync my data until Humble fixes it, since mid December. Playing Isle of Arrows and Shattered Pixel Dungeon when I need to be distracted.

Been streaming stuff from Xbox and PS5 to it and using a Backbone while in bed. That stuff is a tad fussy but otherwise works pretty well. (Both clients immediately lose the connection if you multitask to another app.)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Forgot to apply cat tax. Tried to pick one where they have less contrast.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lol... this shot looks good on my phone, but I need to figure out how to handle the HDR conversion/contrast when it's exported out of the phone.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

To your point, even the crushed export looks alright looking at this thread on the Awful app on my phone. It looked terrible on my bad Dell HDR400 monitor.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

and what was the motivation out of curiosity?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

If anything about the software bothers you, do mention it and chances are there's a fix or mitigation. No Apple keyboard though.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah I hate it too, but someone switching might be used to it.

I'm actually just on plain Google Keyboard now and very happy with it. SwiftKey never quite felt right, and GBoard seems to have improved from whatever bugged me about it in the past. A main reason I originally chose Android over iOS was Swype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I like having a Nest Hub Max in my kitchen ... I wish I could put my ancient OneNote recipe file on it, but it's pretty great as a virtual assistant ... and I do pull up last-minute directions for cooking random vegetables in the pressure cooker and poo poo. It's a good "kitchen speaker" and nice to have the doorbell camera on it when expecting company. And ignoring internet company sales.