Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Resdfru posted:

They don't have to do that anymore

Now it's, meet the new phone, same as the old phone. Except it doesn't come with a cable.

Soon it'll be, 'phones now coming wrapped in bubble wrap to save trees'

Ah, the Sony route. This is our most sustainable packaging ever and doesn't come with a cable, a brick, or more than 2 years of software support. Save the planet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Artelier posted:

So thanks to the couple of impressions in this thread I picked up the Xperia 1 V (especially since it went on a small sale and we don't officially get the Pixel series) and I'm loving it so far in these first days.

Please add your impressions too so that I may live vicariously through you, and others, until Sony maybe puts it on sale in the US. Which color did you pick? I held one earlier this year and it felt perfect. The ridges and the bumps are all divine.

I never use assistant and stumble upon a phone tree like once every two years, so all the AI stuff of the P8 and P8P doesn't interest me as much as a physical fingerprint reader, headphone jack, expandable storage, no ugly notch, Exmor T sensor, and the 21:9, 643 ppi display of the 1 V. (Mk VI with LTPO? Prob not at that resolution/density.)

It's almost $400 cheaper to import one, for whatever reason, but I need one of the few missing bands in EU/SEA models for my carrier. There was a green one on Swappa with an unused pair of earbuds (preorder freebie) for just under $1,000 and someone else grabbed it while I deliberated, thankfully. Maybe next month...? :shobon:

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 7, 2023

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

Pretty sure they meant discount. Sony has already done a minor sale on the black 1 V about a month ago, green one didn't get a discount. About $200 off iirc.

Whoops. Yes, I should have said "a sale." I saw the phone + earbuds + $50 Sony Store credit preorder promo, but I have only seen it go down $100 temporarily since it launched.

I am seriously considering importing the silver 1 V from Europe, supported bands be damned, since most of my usage is with wifi anyway. I don't care too much about the missing 5g bands, but I use Google Fi/T-mo and I think band 71 is used for LTE service in most of the midwest. I would probably run into service issues when trying to visit friends and family.

Weirdly, the EU and SEA models all have unlocked bootloaders, too, so you can flash US modem files. The US model is locked. :confused:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Indeed, I am stuck with Fi for a bit longer if I want to get the max usage from the phone. I did not know Fi supposedly doesn't use that band, however. Sure would hate to buy the phone only for Google to outright cancel Fi shortly after. Been using it since 2015 and considered switching to Visible, but will stay if I grab a phone from Sony.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Remember the...screen door effect on the base model 3?

What does this mean? Searches aren't doing me much good. I have only ever read screen door effect in regards to VR HMDs.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

I'm joining the Xperia 1 V club! :toot: Been checking Swappa, Sony, Amazon, Focus, B&H, and Adorama for a couple of months now. Secondipity apparently has the refurb contract with Sony because they are the only other retailer(besides Sony) I have seen with the green US model. They're selling them for $500 off on eBay at the moment. Added the listing to my watch list yesterday and they sent an offer of $719 today--basically half off. Plus, 2-year Allstate warranty instead of the factory 1-year.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

Congrats, I hope you end up loving yours as much as I do mine, and that's a hell of a discount too.

Your preferences might be different from mine regarding cases, but I've got the Spigen Ultra Hybrid Zero One and the Sony Official Case with Stand for mine and I much prefer the Sony case. It's not as protective, but it adds just enough extra depth to the phone to make it easier to hold and the kickstand on it is great. The Spigen one, for some reason, lacks a nub in the upper corner by the camera module so it still kind of rocks when laid on its back on a table and the camera shutter button cover makes using the two-stage function more difficult, but it is far more protective of the device. If you get the Spigen case it's way cheaper on Amazon than it is going through Spigen's site, but the Sony one is about the same regardless of where you buy it.

Edit: there is also a way to force Wi-Fi calling to work, which seems to be pain point for people with this device. The solution doesn't seem to work on T-Mobile and doesn't need to be done on Google Fi, but if you're on anything else it should work without a problem, though does have to be redone anytime there is an update for the device. It doesn't involve :filez: but it does involve going into developer options and using third party apps to trick the device. Not sure if that's allowed in this thread, so not posting it here unless I'm specifically told it's okay.

Sony's OOS on the green case so I ordered it from NGP Store on Amazon just to have something. I wanted to check out the Devilcase here (fitting room is second link at the top of the page, then choose manufacturer and model from dropdowns) but you need to spend about $92 US to get free shipping from Taiwan. One case is about $32 and then $65 for intl shipping. Three cases and a few sets of extra buttons would be right around $94 because it hits the $3000TW threshold for shipping. If you (or anyone else) wants to go in on a Devilcase order, let me know! Thought about asking you and the other recent 1V buyer, but iirc, they aren't in the US because the Pixel is not available in their country.

I think I already know what you're referring to in regards to WiFi calling (Pixel IMS?) but I have been with Fi for about 8 years now. Ditched the idea of importing a silver one because I got mixed messages whether flashing NA modem files on EU or other models required an unlocked bootloader or not. The thread on XDA says no unlocked bootloader and then proceeds to give directions on how to unlock the bootloader... Absolutely don't want to unlock the bootloader because I doubt I'd be able to use my banking apps afterwards.

Think the only thing I am actually gonna miss is not having call screening for the three or four times/month I get a spam call. We'll see.

Good looking out! Hit me up if you decide you really want a custom Devilcase with the supreme logo as "Suckme," capybaras with yuzu, or any of the extraordinarily lovely choices based on American culture.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

Yeah, the Pixel IMS trick is what I was talking about. I've looked at the Devilcases before, but they honestly don't look like anything special to me other than being able to get a case with a custom anime waifu or Badz-Maru on it. I know the folks on the Xperia subreddit seem to love them though, so there must be something to it. If there is a third buyer interested then I'll go in with you on it.

Slim pickins for cases. Looked like it was probably the most likely one to protect from drop damage. The Sony case leaves the aluminum rails exposed and I'd imagine I am going to somehow ding it up nearly immediately. FWIW, I would just get transparent with green composite. Debating between getting the camera ring in matching green or black with the goofy fake Sony text/red ring. Maybe I'll just pick up two and keep an extra or sell the third on eBay. I'll PM you here in a week or so after I've got the phone if you are still interested. Last thing I want is to order three (four, really) cases only to have Secondipity cancel the order on Monday.

Ironically, the cheap plastic case from Docomo also looks decent for protection and still showcases the phone's design well, but it is probably slippery. Can't figure out how to buy one, either.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

North American models of Xperia 1 V got Android 14 today. I can barely tell a difference other than toggles look a little different and swiping to go back has a different icon for the arrow. Seems fine I guess!

Think the biggest things are lock screen customization (you can add a flashlight toggle or whatever else you find useful), the addition of the Video Creator app originally introduced recently when the 5 V launched, better bokeh, and 4k@60/120 modes for Photo Pro. For what it's worth, the better battery life seems to not be bullshit, either. Interested to hear whether you and Artelier have seen more efficient usage after the update.

Some more detailed info here.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 15, 2023

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

I'm pretty sure they were all joking, although one of the suggestions was teal which would be rad. I feel like the "bullying over green bubbles" poo poo is so overhyped, like kids eating tide pods or whatever, because I have nine nieces and nephews, none of which care about the bubble color. Most kids probably didn't care about the bubble color until techtubers and tech sites started rambling about it. My nieces and nephews are all much more interested with spamming temu links to everyone they know. I wasn't allowed to send a text message until after I was in college, so the thought of them sending temu and aliexpress links to my parents is well beyond bizarre. The same people who used money orders for eBay auctions until like 2006 now let their grandkids use their credit cards for roblox and I don't even know what is real anymore.

The refurbished Xperia 1 V I ordered last week arrived yesterday. Despite the packaging being a single piece of brown paper inside of a box, the phone looks flawless. I couldn't find the tiniest of surface scratches on the either of the glass pieces or the rails.

I'd already been up about 22 hours when it was delivered, so I didn't do much besides use Xperia Companion to wipe the phone and install Android 14 without having to go from 13 to 14. I wasn't able to successfully backup my messages or phone calls with the normal Google account backup stuff, for some reason. Says my messages are only 2.4 Kb and choosing "back up now" on the Pixel 3 didn't increase the size at all. Wound up using SMS Backup & Restore Pro to send them to Drive and then restored on the new phone.

At this point, I think I have tested out nearly everything except MicroSD support and bluetooth. The only issues I've encountered are:

1.) Sometimes, when the Gboard or numpad is open for PIN entry, the screen shifts everything so far upward that I can't see what I'm typing anymore. I restarted the phone and haven't been able to recreate the issue. Probably 21:9 weirdness with the lock screen.

2.) If I increase the brightness from about 90% to 91%, there's a slightly noticeable step up across the entire screen. It is smooth going from minimum brightness to about 90%, then once 91% hits, it flashes momentarily, and then it's smooth up to 100% again. I'm usually looking at ~30% brightness indoors and 100% outside in direct sunlight, so it isn't a big deal, but I did notice it looking for bugs.

3.) 3.5mm jack is not deep enough to support stereo microphones. Think this means you need to use this 3.5" LCD monitor's 3.5mm input for stereo microphone recording. Alternatively, and probably significantly cheaper, you could use a wireless stereo transmitter via USB-C.

4.) Not a bug, per se, but the LED when using the flashlight is pretty dinky due to the diffusor. The diffusor itself is actually quite nice and provides very even lighting across a reasonable distance. I was unable to create glare on glossy objects, whereas my bright Pixel 3 light creates a michael bay-sized lensflare on anything not as matte as a black hole. The downside is that it isn't focused, making it poor for general flashlight usage.

P. good so far. It's weird going from Android 11 (never updated my P3 to 12 which is probably why it didn't go into qualcomm edl mode) to Android 14. Even weirder is that, I guess since the phone is the green model, the default theme is YOSPOS. I've been using the Potus 3012 live wallpaper for over a decade, which I would link because it's incredible, but I see the developer has removed the $0.99 paid version and replaced it with a free one containing ads with no way to pay for the app anymore. I can download it since it's still on my account, but if I try to share the link, it takes me to a Google 404 page. Bummer. Anyone have cool live wallpaper recommendations? Am I dating myself by still being excited about them?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

My only pushback on this is back in like 2014 or 2015 at my previous place of work, some of my coworkers literally bullied another coworker to the point that he caved and got an iPhone so they'd stop giving him constant poo poo for green bubbles. The other Android users I knew there literally couldn't be bothered to give a poo poo if it "broke the experience" for the iPhone users if someone tried to text them, but this one guy was able to be pressured over it. Was pretty hosed up.

That is pretty messed up. I can see caving into pressure if you're trying to share pics/videos with iMessage users on a regular basis because they're getting potato quality media on their end. On the Android end, I feel like I just don't get their images at all half the time. I do think it's weird to get texts that say things like "Mitch liked an image" from my iOS friends, but it's barely worth fussing about.

Shortly after I joined Fi, so probably late 2015, my boss really liked my Nexus 6P and decided to switch to it from an iPhone. He was hardcore Apple dating back to the 90s and the business I worked for was Mac-centric, so I didn't expect it to go too well. Back then, you couldn't simply go to a website and dereg your number from iMessage. I think you still had to call Apple at the time and they would have someone chastise you for trying to get out of the ecosystem. He had so many messages not coming through that he returned the phone and bought another iPhone in frustration two days later. The system works, I guess. :shrug:

quote:

1. Never had that happen, but sometimes I do have an issue where the keyboard covers the username or password box and the app or page i'm on won't allow me to scroll up far enough to see it.

It happened while I was trying to log into the Awful app, too, which is why I mentioned Gboard. That must be it. Still haven't been able to recreate the issue.

Multi-window is :discourse: with this aspect ratio. I'm used to only being able to have Awful, a couple Firefox tabs, and Messages open before Android closed something to make room with my paltry 4GB RAM, so being able to open 2 grouped apps is incredibly useful. Really like the side sense shortcut, too, though I wish I could keep it enabled while disabling the small white outline of the bar.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

Android 14 has introduced a bug to my Xperia 1 V which is becoming more and more frustrating, curious if the other 1 V users have encountered it yet. With the AOD on if I press the power button to wake the device, the screen just goes black. It reads my fingerprint and unlocks because I can hear it make the unlock sound, and if I press the button again I can hear it make the lock sound. Sometimes this clears up by me just putting it face down and picking it back up so the proximity sensor can tell there is nothing in front of it, but that doesn't always work and sometimes I just have to wait for it to decide the display should turn on again.

I haven't used the AOD much, but I enabled it to try to replicate the issue. I tried toggling:

Lift to check
AOD
Double tap to wake
Press to unlock with fingerprint

And every possible combination among them.

No dice. I wonder if it is something weird like Xperia Home (unless you use another launcher) needing its cache cleared. I have only basic notification info (e.g. new text, but not message contents) enabled, too. I wish I could have at least narrowed down the issue a bit.

I did get a "firebase test tile" notification from the Sony Support app about 30 minutes ago, though. Someone was logged into production and not test! Whoops

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

My SO has been using a Motorola Moto G Power for a few years and it cost a whopping $30. The camera blows, but it has a great 5,000 mah battery.

With so many existing features (i.e. call screening) now being artificially locked to Pixels and Google seemingly making half of their Android features available only for Tensor, I can't help but wonder how much software support even matters anymore. If banking apps and things like that refuse to work due to security patches, I can see it being an issue, of course, but does anyone actually care if they don't receive Material You or other pointless updates?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Most of my friends outside NA use apps like WhatsApp because their usage doesn't count against their monthly data limits. I would be really interested to find out how those types of deals came to be.

Personally, I found getting my parents on Google Messages to be hard because one used Samsung Messages and the other used whatever messaging app Verizon maintains. Neither of them wanted to change but I was sick of the potato images. Nothing like having state-of-the-art sensors only for MMS to make the image look as if it came from a 0.3MP Mavica that uses floppies for storage.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

To their point: front-facing autofocus, manual controls, and whatever the two video features (night sight and video boost) that are uploading stuff for cloud processing are arbitrarily locked to the Pro. Perhaps they fine-tuned the cloud processing for the sensors in the Pro only but it at least feels arbitrarily locked.

My SO received their S24+ today and, even after downloading and setting Google apps (phone, messages, etc.) as default apps, the Samsung launcher will still chastise you to set their apps as default a few times before the option "don't ask again" appears. I also noticed that if you go into Google's phone settings, it will sometimes open the Samsung Phone app's settings anyway. Otherwise, it is a great phone so far.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

This might be a stupid question, but is there any way to manually set accent/theme colors on Android 14? I have nearly every live wallpaper Sony has released over the years, but the system seems to be doing a poor job of suggesting accents. I typically only have either a light blue or gray accent option available. I managed to fool it into sticking with a peach-colored accent by choosing another wallpaper, setting the accent color to one of maybe a dozen options, and then setting it back to the gold X1V wallpaper, but it doesn't seem to work with the older ones (Loops, Bubbles, the one that looks like the PS3 default, and the PS4 default). It swaps the accent back to either light blue or gray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Don't act like I didn't buy that donut. I got the documentation right here. No wait. It's in the filing cabinet. Under "D..." for donut.