Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Samsung OneUI is really good and the haters should all just get iphones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Screen is king. And hidden.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I love the poo poo out of the fold 5. It didn't think I would love it so much but having a small tablet is a massive improvement for reading and consuming other content. I took a bunch of flights last week and it was the perfect all in one companion where before I'd have probably at least taken a seperate tablet with me. The phone form factor is a little clunky but in tablet mode it feels slim and nice. I just hope it lasts at least 3 years without the foldy bit loving up.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
It's definitely A Thing when it comes to cheap Chinese TV boxes and tablets where the point of differentiation often becomes 'netflix DRM license support level' and if it ships with the play store still but I don't feel like it's been a thing in phones sold in Western countries for a while. Otoh buying a Chinese phone seems like something you'd really only do if you're trying to save a few bucks and still be close to flagship hardware.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I don't know but I feel like Bluetooth has gone to poo poo for me recently too. Super laggy controls, frequently just stops playing on my anker q45s. Used to be totally smooth sailing like 3 months ago.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I can only speak for Samsung so take it as you will - Dual SIM is an excellent experience, especially being able to run seperate instances of messenger apps like WhatsApp/Telegram etc for each SIM. You set a preferred voice/SMS/data SIM of which data only really matters most of the time. The phone and messages apps make it easy to see which SIM you're using and swap what you use per contact/chat etc.

I've done this on an S10+ , and S21+ and now a Z Fold 5 for keeping work/personal seperated on a single device.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Fwiw I run my personal as an eSIM and work provides a physical SIM. They no longer have dual physical SIM models I think, or if they do it may need to be a grey import.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

I'm expecting the Pixel 8 to be eSIM only ala iPhone, so I've been resigning myself to that idea already since I'm considering it if I don't pick up the gig.

eSIM + physical is fine for me, id probably keep Verizon on the eSIM because they seem to have the switching infrastructure pretty well in hand.

I'd note that I have no idea if stock Android can do the dual messenger app thing also, it was definitely a Samsung only thing that was a leading reason I bought in to their phones originally. Maybe it's been copied out to Android now I dunno. Just to be clear.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
No idea. Haven't used stock Android for a long time.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Maybe try this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vn.audioswitch.audiotest.kk

Where you select your phone's internal audio in your app/OS and then use this to switch the output to your headphones?

No idea if that will work

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Lame. Sorry I don't think it's baked into Android so probably not easily possible.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
It'll work just don't expect it to work for long, have much battery life or feel good to use in any way. Also that's locked to a provider.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

PirateBob posted:

Anyone tried OneUI 6.0 yet? Any reason to hold off on installing it?

Sadly appears delayed for everything except the S23

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I've got the Samsung slim case on my fold 5 that has the s-pen and it's... Fine. It kind of annoys me that it doesn't lay flat or even lay stable when open on a flat surface. I don't use the s-pen at all so I've actually just ordered a thinner clear case off Amazon so I'll report back with a comparison.

Most 3rd party cases seem to be incredible abominations that significantly add to the thickness of the fold when closed.

The idea of a kickstand is tempting but I can't find one I like the look of and I already had a cheap little tablet stand that I just leave in my backpack and use on planes when travelling to watch media.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I've never had an issue getting photos back out, even our 18gb wedding album generates a download link in a reasonable amount of time. There's always takeout too if you want everything.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

explosivo posted:

Ah man Gizmodo likes the S24 U :ohdear:

The screen sounds nice. I do kinda hate the rounded glass on the 22U.

I'm going to generously assume whoever wrote that has some kind of brain problem. Goddamn what a waste of 2 minutes.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
For a very long time I had to app switch away from StS to get it past the Syncing screen at start up. Seems to have been resolved 2 weeks ago but yeah overall that side of it is a buggy mess.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Mental Hospitality posted:

The podcast app is simple and does exactly what is expected of it, nothing more.

This is an affront to innovation and cannot stand.

Translation: it literally generated no ad revenue

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Arken_ca posted:

I want to get a phone with dual physical sim card capability, so I can have separate work and personal numbers. So when a business client either calls, texts, emails or sends Whatsapp messages the notification sounds can be set different from the personal number notifications.

Will the Galaxy S24+ allow this? I know it has dual physical sim capability but I'm not sure about the notifications. Are both always active so you can receive from either number at any given time or do you have to switch between them?

Also, how is mobile data used between two sims? Do you choose with each app which sim to use for data? Or one sim is the default to use data.

My experience is yes Samsung still make dual physical SIM phones but you generally only find them via grey import resellers, not big box stores or carriers. This was true up to the S21 for me at least in Australia. It's very hard to work this out and find which models actually have dual SIM but GSM arena was my friend here. I can't speak for the s22/23/24 but it's still popular in Asian markets particularly so I'd assume there are models that have this.

You choose a preferred SIM for all data. It will only switch if you move out of coverage for that SIM, it's not per app. Same for calls and SMS but you get to choose which before making/sending a call/message. Generally being on a phone call on your non preferred data SIM will cause data to switch for the duration of the call FYI.

Samsung does however let you install a copy of most messaging apps to use with each phone number (like I have a work SIM WhatsApp and a personal SIM WhatsApp) which rules. And so yes you can have different sounds for your SIMs for phone/SMS/IM.

I have since switched my personal service to eSIM so my Fold 5 has a physical SIM from my workplace and an eSIM for my personal service and the above behaviour is exactly the same. This is far easier to find and do.

Aware fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 19, 2024

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Samsung has recentlyish added a limiter you can enable that makes it stop at 80 or 85% charge, maybe the pixel has the same? AccuBattery can do the same if not. I don't know if this is super important but it seems to be becoming 'a thing'.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I dunno I just updated my fold 5 to OneUI 6.1 and couldn't avoid being told about it after - check the Tips app/section

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
gently caress AI junk I'm not reading about or using any of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

nice meltdown

:stonkhat: