Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
They don't have to do that anymore

Now it's, meet the new phone, same as the old phone. Except it doesn't come with a cable.

Soon it'll be, 'phones now coming wrapped in bubble wrap to save trees'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

bull3964 posted:

But Samsung sleep tracking sucks too and the rest of the fitness metric stuff is decidedly 'meh.'

My only smart watch has been a galaxy watch active 2. I don't really use the sleep tracking if that means anything more than looking at it in the morning to see how long I slept. Its usually accurate, there have been a few times in the 2+ years where it says I slept way less than I did.

Is that discrepancy what you mean or is it doing/not doing something else I'm not even aware of?

I've always wondered if the analysis of my sleep, light vs heavy and so on, is accurate but I have nothing else to compare to

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Watts ville

Bull, I've always wondered, are phones related to your job in any way or just a hobby?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Are you going back to ios?

Also it time for the quarterly fingerprint sensor discussgument already

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

smoobles posted:

Why can't we move on from glossy backs. Just one big smudge factory. :barf:

My s23u has a matte back :smugbert:

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Gonna cross post this from the wear os thread since that thread is dead apparently. Or maybe my questions are dumb.

After further messing around with the blood pressure I'm more certain it's a gimmick. I just got off my exercise bike and it still shows my blood pressure right where the calibration was. What is even the point of putting it in the watch. Or am I doing something really wrong with it?

Resdfru posted:

Does Samsung still have reactivation lock or did that get lost when they switched to wear os? Had it on my active 2 and it seems useful but I can't find it anywhere on my new galaxy watch 6. Google just leads me to outdated instructions and people trying to disable it

So I did the stuff to unlock blood pressure monitoring in the US and its effectively useless? Unless I'm doing something wrong it just seems to give me numbers around whatever I got in my last calibration, and my blood pressure cuff shows a much different number. unless I'm supposed to do something its not telling me I can see why it doesn't have FDA approval, its more than useless, its dangerous.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Thanks. Good points. I guess no way to know if the steps to enable in the US change the way it works outside of the US. To be clear I never expected it to match the accuracy of a device made for blood pressure but it doesn't actually seem to measure since it gives the same reading whether I take it in the morning or 5 seconds after doing a bunch of cardio.

Thanks for the activation lock info.

I meant dead in both that no one responded but also this thread get a ton of posts and that one doesn't (not just replies to me)

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

FunOne posted:

He's got a tablet already that's locked down. Agreed on unfiltered internet access not being age appropriate.

Whats your lock down process/procedure?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I don't know what tick tick provides, or if this works in android 14 but. Habits has notifications that cant be dismissed and pretty good tracking/stats of your reminders. I use mine for taking meds as well. Might be a hold over at least till your main app fixes whatever

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Vagrancy posted:

Non-Dismissable notifications became dismissible in Android 14

I.e. If you compulsively swipe stuff out of the shade relying on how it used to work, the killer was you all along.

Oh dang, cool change. I hate apps that set notifications that cant be dismissed when I didn't ask for them. Glad it doesn't apply to clear all cause that won't affect my habits notification

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Which apps?

Robinhood let's me do face unlock but it's the only app I ever see it on out of various bank, credit card, and password manager apps. I think at one point the Discover app used to but then it stopped, but I can't remember if that was the s23u or the s21u

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
The work profile has its own login, are you using your work email? It sounds like you're saying Google play says you don't have access, which is based on the account you're using on Google play. I think anyway.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
That qr code says it's for a demo so that's probably why. Go to settings on your phone and enable work profile there for the real thing.

If you're on samsung use shelter app from fdroid to get it

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I'm not sure as I have samsung, I assumed you could just enable work profile in settings somewhere.

Looks like you try following this: https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9370410?hl=en#zippy=%2Cim-using-my-own-personal-device

You could also try Shelter which just forces work profile to be available and you can install what you want in it. Not sure if that causes issues with Microsoft stuff. I use it on my Samsung with Google work stuff with no issues.

I don't remember if shelter is on regular play store but if it is it might only be updated on f droid

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/net.typeblog.shelter/

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Shelter on Fdroid adds the work stuff. I haven't had my work stuff wiped yet but I assume it will work the right way

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
There are a few people in the iPhone thread here either commending the fact that it's staying green or wishing it was some ridiculous color/color combination to make people even more ostracized.

I guess they wouldn't get to feel superior to people if all the chat bubbles were the same color

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I can give em the benefit of the doubt and say it's just for jokes but even then I don't get it?

I guess the only reason I can think of for wanting different colors if all the imessage features work is that not all of them would work, like the imessage games won't work.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
There was an article a while back about some NBA guy that got bullied into getting an iPhone cause he was green bubbling the chat

But I agree with what someone else said, I don't care what color my chat is on someone else's screen Im just happy that I won't get horrid tiny blurry mms pics and videos from the iPhone people in my life who refuse to get another chat app but insist on sending everything through text

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I don't have it yet on Google fi but I'll install it as soon as it becomes available

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Resdfru posted:

I don't have it yet on Google fi but I'll install it as soon as it becomes available

One ui 6 on s23 ultra on Google fi downloading now

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Resdfru posted:

One ui 6 on s23 ultra on Google fi downloading now

Everything looks fine except my home screen app icons are huge. My good Lock layout seems intact so I dunno what's up. Quick glance doesn't show any settings for icon size, so maybe I did have a different grid size in good lock

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I don't know if some models are worse than others or just batches of a production run but both mine and my wife's s21 ultras were littered with fine scratches all over from just normal use. Then we switched to 23u and its what I would expect from a phone screen, no micro scratches all over. I say I dunno if its the whole model or the ones we had cause I looked it up back then and no one talked about it.

So if no one else is seeing that on their 8s maybe it's yours? But would Google do something about it

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Does Samsung allow you to install their store/apps on other phones? If not can you trick it? If all else fails there's apk mirror probably

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I think eventually all of them probably

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/22/23885446/android-14-beta-google-pixel-webcam-feature-usb-apple-continuity-camera

Apple has had that feature for a few years now I think

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
If you're on samsung you can edit that with good lock

Wait actually it's moved to the actual share button now, no good lock needed. Just click share, then 'more', then there's a pencil in the top right.

Not sure if it's the same or similar on other versions of android

Resdfru fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 7, 2023

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Kirios posted:

So made the plunge to Galaxy (S23 specifically) after being a Pixel guy since basically the…Nexus 6? I think that was the Motorola one. Coming from a Pixel 7 whose battery life and performance was disappointing.

The immediate thing is…wow, this hardware is fantastic. The screen is absolutely gorgeous - blows the Pixel out of the water. The software is snappier (I’m not loving OneUI as much initially - I’ll probably get used to it) and the 120Hz is noticeable. I also *love* the idea of having a flagship device in this form factor.

Who knows how things will be in a week or a month, but there’s an immediate wow factor there.

I personally think samsung makes a lot of good decisions in oneui and most of the ones I don't like I can change with good lock. So maybe take a look at good lock. It's weird at first, cause it has apps inside it to do different things and it's not always clear what they do. But just install em all and go through em

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
That happens to me but it's always been the cable (across multiple phones and cars). I get a new one for 10 bucks and I'm good for a year. Last one I got was an anker two pack for the same price as 1 Amazon basics. I could get a wireless adapter thing but 10 bucks a year (or two if the ankers last) isn't killing me

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
There is probably an android tv thread or something more related to that question but on my shield I never had a system wide subtitle setting, in my experience that is usually an application level setting but I could be wrong

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Is dark mode on? Search settings for dim wallpaper when dark mode is on and turn it off and see if that helps

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I love samsung, I've been using their phones since the s3 I think. I expect their AI poo poo to be so so so bad. I hope I'm wrong and it is somehow useful and not trash but yea I'm not gonna hold my breath

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
It's gonna be bixbyAI or bixby+AI or something

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Galaxy AI sounds pretty lame? S24u doesn't sound like it's gonna be very different from the s23u so I'll probably just stick with my 23

https://www.ign.com/articles/samsung-galaxy-unpacked-2024-everything-announced-from-samsungs-winter-hardware-event

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
https://youtu.be/n7lM36yFh2Y?si=5C19FKNUqri9w8Zw

Mkbhd video of the 24 line. The live translation of phone calls seem neat. The AI stuff looks fun to play with but not worth upgrading from a 23

I do like the slight changes in the way it looks though

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I didn't click the links but weird. I guess all the fancy schmancy AI capabilities in sd8 gen3 aren't actually being utilized by any of this stuff

Oh they haven't said what will or won't, so possibly some stuff isn't able to run on old hardware

Resdfru fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 17, 2024

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

bull3964 posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if the vast majority of Galaxy AI is actually Bard on the backend.

Check out the mkbhd video I posted, he shows the various AI features and mentions that you can tell when they're available because they have "two little star icons, well Bard logo" or something like that. He also showed the photo editor and said it seems less restrictive than the pixel version. It also puts a Bard watermark on the edited image

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

bull3964 posted:

Only issue is no native visual voicemail integration.

Visual voicemail on samsung is garbage I think. Unless it's different on other providers. On Google fi it just shows me what voicemail are there and I have to download and listen to them. I guess it is what it says it is but when I first used it I expected it to be more like Google voice voicemails where I can just read it.

Is it the same on pixel and other stuff?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
One ui has been fantastic for a while now. Too bad you can't like try before you buy a phone for a month to see if you really like it

Lol, lest we start the fingerprint debate again but I guess it's relative. I had an s21 ultra for 2 years and now the s23 for a year and I had a few misreads a year in the 21 and never have any issues on the 23.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Don't think this will help since you say you're not using extra dim but I turned on extra dim once and didn't realize it was on and my brightness kept being really dumb throughout the day and it was driving me mad till I noticed extra dim was on and once I disabled that it stopped. So I guess verify extra dim didn't get enabled

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
My guess is turn on work mode and install a camera app in it. If you're on samsung (dunno if any others don't have a work mode) you can use shelter to enable. https://f-droid.org/en/packages/net.typeblog.shelter/

Also if on samsung you could just use secure folder but work mode is an option if you're already using that for something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Is the phone rooted? I don't think you can uninstall the play store otherwise. If it's not rooted then possibly it's just disabled

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-222928/

Not familiar with that apk site so maybe factory resetting is not a bad idea if it's a shady site