Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Today the power button on this pixel 5 has gone crazy and even brushing my finger passed it registers as multiple presses or as holding it down. It keeps popping up the camera or prompting to initiate some sort of emergency call. It sucks.

I have blasted it with compressed air and slapped it around a bit but so far this problem persists. It makes it almost unusable :/.

For fun I have looked at what other small, stock android phones there are with a good camera and there isn't much.

The latest sony xperia is still small but it costs €1000 which is a joke. And I can't help but remember the last xperia I had almost never received any updates and the sony addons were annoying, but maybe those things are better.

There is the latest pixel 8 which is not much bigger than the 5 but I'm really not a fan of the protruding camera strip and €800 is a bit steep.

I would buy a new pixel 5 but google never officially sold them here so even a reconditioned one is over €400 and that seems silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Yeah that's pretty lame for a €1k device.

And this says the pixel 5 updates ended October of this year so buying another is really not a viable plan. Sigh.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What country are you in son?

Spain. I got a november security update on the 5th of that month but so far nothing for december. But also there hasn't been any notice about updates stopping so who knows.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have a Pixel 6, and I gotta say I really like the camera strip. Having the phone able to lie on its back without wobbling or being canted to a weird angle is actually really nice. Since the phones tend to be a little slippery having a thin case is nice, and that also makes the camera bar stick out less and even the whole thing out.

I don't use my phone when it is lying down so I guess that isn't a feature for me. I had a pixel 6 for a month but I gave it up ane bought this 5. The 6 & 7 are just too big for my tiny hands or something. I haven't seen an 8 irl but it is supposed to be almost back to 5 size. Still has that silly strip though.

I don't even use a case.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Is the pixel 5 officially no longer receiving software updates? The google site says guaranteed updates ended October 2023. My phone last got an update in November. I am assuming there will be no more but I sort of expected some sort of notice about it. The wording of the google site certainly doesn't preclude them from continuing...

Anyway, assuming this phone is basically ded software wise, does anyone have a strong opinion on the zenfone 10 versus pixel 8? They are both €700. The pixel surely has a better camera but I mainly use a real one. It also supports esim but then esim.me exists. The zenfone is a wee bit smaller and doesn't have the dumb camera bar and I am tempted to try something new :shrug:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Asus isn't like samsung, is it? Do they have an asus email app and asus calendar app and asus photos app and phone app and poo poo you can't get rid of?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
welp I got a zenfone 10 and so far I think I hate it.

Physically it is much thicker than this pixel 5 and the textured back feels cheap. The whole thing feels kind of cheap even though it certainly wasn't (lol?). The width of the bezel makes it seem like a much older model device. From the pixel 5 I am used to tapping menu buttons at the very bottom edge of tbe device/screen but when my muscle memory does this on the zenfone there is no response because I'm tapping the bezel, not the screen. lol

The software I guess is okay? It feels like an older android with a few gimmicky extras that I am still trying to disable. I guess I just want it to work like a pixel which I know is not fair.

I just wanted something small like the pixel 5 (that still gets updates!) with a pixel-like experience. The pixel 8 is the obvious choice but it isn't so small and I really don't like the camera bar bump. But if the alternative is this fat rear end zenfone then maybe the camera bar is good enough.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I dunno. I originally used the same site to glance at the size comparison between the pixel 5 and zenfone 10 and I guess without zooming in I didn't appreciate the fatness of the zenfone compared to the pixel 5.

Now throwing the pixel 8 in there and it's main body depth is inbetween the others but the lol camera bump makes it basically 50% thicker than the pixel 5 which is a joke imho.

My beautiful wife has a pixel 6 and it is a giant with or without the bump. Definitely the 8 is better sized but still too big :colbert:

Now I am looking the xperia 5 V and IV. I used to have an xperia and it is still my favorite style but man they are so expensive...

I'll probably just end up with the pixel 8.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I returned the zenfone 10 the same day I got as I knew I would be endlessly annoyed at its size and software. Back to the pixel 5 with the wonky power button and no updates. Then just today I saw the xperia 5 V is actually on sale at "only" €840 so I've ordered it. That's only like a €100 premium over the zenfone and pixel 8 here :/. Anyway, I'm pretty sure an xperia 5 is small enough so hopefully I will be able to live with whatever weird sony software quirks it has, and the apparently terrible camera.

I still pine for the old xperia z3 compact. I'd probably still stubbornly use it if it still turned on.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
A while ago I got a sony rx100 which is like a fancy point n shoot and it has been a ton of fun. The photos look so much better than the phone cam and its fake bokah crap. I've been using the phone camera less and less so that's why the phone cam quality is no longer at the top of my list.

It will be neat if the xperia camera app is like an rx100 but at the same time the interface is certainly not the camera's strongest feature.

I wonder if anyone makes a phone with a viewfinder...

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Its .1 mm narrower. Also it is a good bit thinner. I dunno we'll see I guess.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
xperia v 5 is here. Definitely larger than a pixel 5 but less giant feeling than the xenfone 10. It feels like a higher quality thing too :shrug:. Guess I'll stick with it.

The software seems okay so far, too.

Unrelated to the devices but I went to make sure my pixel 5 whatsapp had made a recent backup before I set it up on the new fone and it turns out whatsapp hasn't completed a backup since July of last year and never gave any indication about it. Quality stuff.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

hooah posted:

I'm really confused. According to Phone Arena, the Xperia V 5 is like a quarter inch (~6 mm) taller than either the Pixel 5 or the Zenfone 10. It is slightly narrower, though.

The xenfone is super fat :shrug:

Also, is there a simple & pretty launcher anyone can recommend? I liked the pixel launcher but it isn't really available.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
The xenfone 10 just felt extra thick compared to the pixel 5. Maybe it was as much to do with the less rounded edges. I dunno. I certainly won't argue the xperia v 5 is as small as a pixel 5. The xperia is like the xenfone in that it has sharper edges but it doesn't then also have the bulging rear.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I've noticed google wallet looks different on this sony versus a pixel even though they both have the latest version.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Why did google make it a feature that you can disable app notifications if even their own apps endlessly prod you to turn them back on? gently caress it's annoying.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
to make the banner in google photos go away i turned on notifications for the app and then disabled every subcategory.

Not directly related but it is still showing suggested edit bubbles over every other photo. It didn't do this on my.old phone so I guess they give up eventually?

It is nice starting fresh on a new device but having every app insist on showing a tutorial and trying to highlight all its features etc is kinda annoying.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
https://jottacloud.com is nice but their servers are all in the EU afaik so if that's not where you are then maybe it would be slow :shrug:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
google photos is great until you want to get your photos out of it.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Maybe it is better now (lol) but in the past a google photos export did not get you the original image files. A lot of the metadata (EXIF stuff) is "provided" in a separate json file. So if you want normal image files again you have to stitch poo poo back together.

https://medium.com/@ty2/the-painful-experience-of-leaving-google-photos-914d9c63d4b2

Thankfully there are endless scripts on github to help with this process but it is pretty sad that it needs to be done at all. And there seem to be lots of edge cases that require extra fiddling either way.

:shrug: the last time I did an export was two years ago and I definitely had to spend a lot of time fixing poo poo up. I naively thought I would just get a copy of all the photo files my phone cam took lol how weird would that be.

google photos the app is still nice to use but I also have jottacloud's app backup all my fone photos since that service is more traditional cloud storage and I can just download the original jpeg files or whatever later on once I've deleted them from the phone.

also also there is a tiny tiny chance some photo you take is flagged as some illegal poo poo and google just shuts down your account and you have no recourse lol.

A Dad Took Photos of His Naked Toddler for the Doctor. Google Flagged Him as a Criminal. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/21/technology/google-surveillance-toddler-photo.html

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Does anyone know of a way to turn a phone into a device that only runs one app all the time?

I wanted our seven year old to be able to listen to music (Tidal) like an mp3 player so I got an old pixel (I think it was a pixel 3) with no sim and disabled all the apps I could. It worked well enough but he of course eventually started poking around and funnily enough he found the emoji/sticker search in the keyboard app (gboard) and started spending a lot of time searching for "memes" (while also listening to music but still). I had not anticipated this.

And then of course today he had an unlucky drop and the screen is totally smashed.

If I am going to do this again (am I??) I suppose I want something that:

- allows removing/disabling the keyboard app, or only provides one without all the sticker/search stuff that is so common now
- allows disabling/removing as much as possible
- allows pinning an app in some way

If I buy a used samsung, or some other make, or even an iphone, would it be easier to hit more of those targets? It would be great if there was some existing project that tried to provide something like this. I don't really want to get back into rooting phones and installing custom roms and all that awful poo poo.

When I first tried to set this up I actually bought some "modern" mp3 player from amazon that had wifi and what turned out to be awful Tidal integration. I'm not opposed to doing that again but it needs to be dead simple to use and Just Work and that was not my experience at all with that thing.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

AlexDeGruven posted:

Samsungs have kids mode. I've also used app pinning on my pixels. You can set it so that it requires the PIN to switch to any other app.

I've never noticed anything about pinned apps having a PIN. Let me see if I can find that..

Ah, this: https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/6118421?hl=en

That is coool but it is the same PIN that unlocks the screen, right? So if I put a PIN on the device he would either have to have the PIN, so be able to unpin tidal, or have to ask us every time he wants to use the phone. ?

withoutclass posted:

As a Tidal user, you should be able to download music from them at any quality. You could pick up something like a Sony Walkman and put music on there that way. I know it's not quite what you're asking for but just wanted to throw it out as an option.

You can make tracks and albums offline but you can't get any sort of unencrypted file that you can move somewhere else. Maybe it is like widevine and easy enough to get past but that makes for a pretty clunky experience. Besides, I like that he can search and find new things on Tidal.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
That samsung kids thing sounds like it might do the trick.

I personally do not enjoy samsong's OS so I really do not know very much about them.

There is a nice used electronics store in the area that currently has 96 used sasmung fones to choose from

https://es.webuy.com/search?categoryIds=984&categoryName=Moviles+-+Android&stores=Valencia+Fernando,Valencia+Ruzafa&Fabricante=Samsung

Anything for like €100 should be okay? Something with a headphone jack would be nice, and maybe a fun color...

We have an old samsung, an a3 I think, but I am pretty sure it doesn't have that kids feature and it already has a cracked screen.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
They have a Samsung Galaxy A04 in like a copperpink color for €105. That model is just 18 months old? That could be good...

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
we need 2 talk

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
The google photos app dims photos when displayed full screen and it is driving me bonkers. There are lots of hits about this on google but none of them really explain what is going on or offer a solution.

It happens with photos taken with my phone's camera. It does not happen with photos taken with a "real" camera.

Some of the "solutions" seem to be to have the camera app not take hdr photos, or do, or something. But uh it seems wrong to change how the camera stores photos so the loving photo app doesn't screw up displaying them :colbert:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
why do you need an app to buy a doughnut :rolleyes:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have an xperia 5 V and a usb c sdcard reader. I took the sd card out of my SONY camera, put it in the reader, and plugged it into the phone and it just offers to format it. What the heck.

It is a 128 GB card and afaict it is almost certainly formatted with exfat (done by the SONY camera) so why can't this dumb thing read it?

I am having no luck googlin' about this as xperia phones still have micro sd card slots so all the results relate to that. But some of them mention the phone will use exfat to format any micro sd card which makes it all the more weird to me that it seems to not be able to read the card from the camera as it seems the phone certainly has exfat support.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
lol this sony phone just popped up a notification that it has been 28 days since last boot so I should reset it to "help maintain memory and performance." That's pretty embarrassing.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

bull3964 posted:

Have you used it at least once?

That's generally how all these tutorial features work, they bug you until you do them at least once, Google isn't really unique in that factor.

google photos has some sort of enhancement suggestion for pretty much every single photo in my library and no amount of clicking it makes it go away. i guess my photos just really suck, but it's their camera!

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

quote:

Thank you for being a Google One member where you enjoy extra storage, family sharing, and more. We’re writing to let you know about some updates coming to your Google One subscription starting on ‌M‌a‌y‌ ‌1‌5‌. These changes are designed to streamline your benefits while ensuring you have a valuable subscription experience.

Key changes:

Expanding access to popular features: We’re making enhanced editing features like Magic Eraser and Portrait Light available to all Google Photos users with devices that meet the requirements starting on ‌M‌a‌y‌ ‌1‌5‌.¹ Dark web report will also be made available to all eligible Google Accounts in the coming months.²

Bringing Magic Editor to more users: Google Photos’ most advanced editing tool, Magic Editor, will become available to all Google Photos users starting in May, helping you to make complex edits in an intuitive way leveraging generative AI.³ As a Google One member with a Premium 2TB or above plan, you will get unlimited saves in Magic Editor to unlock your creativity. Learn more.

Phasing out two benefits: With a focus on providing the most in-demand features and benefits, we’re discontinuing free shipping for select print orders from Google Photos (in Canada, the UK, US, and EU) starting on ‌M‌a‌y‌ ‌1‌5‌ and VPN by Google One later this year.

What stays the same:

Storage: You’ll still enjoy 2 TB of storage.

Family sharing: Share your storage with up to 5 family members.

Advanced Google Meet and Google Calendar features: Continue to enjoy longer group meetings and enhanced appointments.

I don't remember why I am signed up to this thing but it sounds like they are making a lot of the exclusive features no longer be exclusive and also completely removing others. Odd that they don't mention a price decrease...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I am in europe and use google pay all the time. Once in a while it makes me enter my phone pin but that is it. Though I've never set up face or fingerprint stuff so I guess the PIN is all it can ask me for.