Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Not quite sure if this goes here, but

For about a week now all incoming calls to my mobile (Moto G9+, Android 11) immediately go to a recording, stating I'm temporarily not available and I will get a short message about this missed call. I am receiving those short messages, so at least I know somebody tried to call me.

I can however do outbound calls and mobile data is also working fine and at full speeds.

First, this is a german carrier so I don't know if and how exactly this translates to other countries.

I don't have DnD turned on, no airplane mode, I don't have any call forwarding set up (and I have reset all potential forwards via MMI code), I don't have any blocked numbers using weird wildcards, I have of course turned the device off and on again multiple times.

I tried the SIM card in another (even older phone) and curiously enough, I can receive calls there.

I reseated the SIM card multiple times, I checked the SIM card settings in Android (and soft turned the card on and off there as well).

My provider is currently in the stage of sending me default canned tech support mails for "bad reception", but since the SIM works fine in one phone and not in the other, I presume eventually they will blame it on my phone and stop caring.

I will have access to another sim card on the weekend to swap that in for testing.

So, is there any scenario where an android phone would be able to make outgoing calls and have full mobile data access but be "invisible" for incoming calls and send them to a carrier voicemail?

Anything I should be looking into on my end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

mcbexx posted:

For about a week now all incoming calls to my mobile (Moto G9+, Android 11) immediately go to a recording, stating I'm temporarily not available and I will get a short message about this missed call. I am receiving those short messages, so at least I know somebody tried to call me.

Quoting myself for an update.

EDIT: The Google App seems to be the culprit.
There even is a pinned official post in the german Android forum, but not in the english forums. Suggestion is to update the Google App (which breaks calls for me, but uninstalling all updates restores functionality back again).
Baffling.

Went and did a factory reset and system restore, being aware that this may not solve my issue unless I find out what exactly is causing the problen.

To my surprise, after the restore completed, I could receive calls again just fine.

Well, today calls suddenly all go back to a recorded message again.
I noticed that my (default Google) phone app icon had changed from blue to white, assuming due to an overnight app update, so I reverted the update, calls still get blocked/sent to "temporarily not available" message.

Now I'm combing through my list of apps to find what in the world might be the cause of this. I don't use any call screening or blocking apps like TrueCaller or other apps that are specifically designed to mess with incoming phone calls.

It's so weird that I can't find anything on Google about this.

The fact that everything went back to normal after a system restore and only broke later also means I can't go and try to root out the problem realistically by doing a clean sweep and install everything manually in batches, since the problem seems to be delayed. I would need to install a batch of apps, wait 24-48 hours (or maybe longer, because god knows what triggers the rejection of calls) before adding more apps to restore full functionality.

JFC it's aggravating.
What apps could possibly be interfering with my incoming calls?

Going through the permissions now and revoking access to phone functionality for everything that looks unrelated.

Edit: Are there any diagnostic tools/event loggers that could tell me "Hey, there was an incoming call and app X blocked it"?

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 23, 2023