Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Get the Comply foam tips for your Galaxy Buds. Much better fit and much better sound!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I hear you have to replace those often

They last a while for me, depends how gunky your ear is I guess (you're supposed to wipe them down every time you use them for maximum life length but I don't).

It's not just the comfort, they really do make my Buds 2 sounds a hell of a lot better because it's a better fit. They really should ship them with these tips.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

This is about what my P7 photos look like too.

I thought Pixels took good photos? Cos good lord that is dog poo poo

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I wish Android phones had Lidar. I'm mad jealous my friends can make 3D models of poo poo by moving their phones around!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm so glad we don't text over here and just use Signal and Whatsapp

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I used to love tablets but since getting a Fold they're completely obsolete.

You probably can get a pixel and a tablet for cheaper than the price of a Fold though.

But seriously being able to say IT'S TABLET TIME then open your phone is still magical even now (you don't have to say its tablet time)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

My Fold 5 magsafe case has been a gamechanger. It works with wireless charging, I have a magnetic holder for the car, and I have a ring holder that turns into a stand that I can remove easily.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Which one is this? Does the case itself connect to your car holder because that would be very handy.

Got it from Aliexpress. Yeah I just got a generic magsafe phone holder you put on your car vent and boom you slap the phone on it and it stays there! It's wonderful, no more clips!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Samsung is probably better than Google, enjoy!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Mental Hospitality posted:

I figured the carrier phones would. I think carrier apps plus Brick Breaker! Bubble Toucher! Jewel Jank! is kinda bullshit though. But deep down we all know why.

Good lord, its a hellscape. My UK Fold 5 from the Samsung store has nothing like this. American carriers seem like a horror show

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

You misspelled capitalist utopia.

Did I? Are you sure?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Samsung watch syncs my Fold's status (like Sleep for example), unless I tell it not to. Isn't that how it should work?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

another thing that happens every once in a while is i'll use the bottom horizontal gesture bar to swipe to the last app i was using, and it'll flick scroll through all my open apps and land on, like, whatever the 6th open app is. seemingly completely at random.

under normal circumstances, no amount of acceleration in your physical swipe interaction with the screen will make it go more than one app to the left. something in the software is tripping up making it go haywire every once in a while.

it's not a big deal but it's jarring and unexpected enough to make me grumble about the software.

Return 👏 your 👏 broken 👏 phone

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Someone made fun of the color of my text or something and I was immediately traumatised and it's a real problem!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

My friends are on iPhone but we all used WhatsApp then switched to Signal and everyone here uses one of the two.

This seems like an American problem where they absolutely love texts? For some reason?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

My Watch 5 still works perfectly, so it's just another bizarre Android thing that only affects the chosen few

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Imagine texting in this day and age. It's sick

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm not taking on a loving goony rear end side project

:dafuq:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

You tell them to:

Download the app
Register their phone number
Fill out their profile
Create a pin
Then add the contact all so that they can exchange messages with someone who already has a native way to exchange messages that's already setup.

You make some good points but you have to do all this to send a text too, right? Minus the app part:

You get their phone number
Create a profile
Fill out the profile
Text in your text app

The only "extra" is to download the app which takes seconds. WhatsApp and Signal both automatically add contacts from your address book, just like your texting app does. I don't know what "create a pin" means so I'm ignoring it.

I get why people (only in the US) stick with texting, but it's not some Herculean effort to switch to Signal (and you also get the added security that SMS doesn't have).

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Branch Nvidian posted:

To send a text I just need their phone number. I put it in the to: field and I send them a message. They don't have to make a profile, fill out that profile, or create a pin (security pin to get into the app).

That's true. I guess I would only text people I'd know, so I'd create a profile for them.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Setting up a pin in signal is faster than me typing that you have to set up a pin.

But yes, it's definitely more work than using your inbuilt sms app

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Keep fighting the good fight but the vast majority of people don't give a poo poo.

It's not the vast majority of people though. It's just America. The rest of the world is on the WhatsApp train

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

That would require creativity. This is Samsung we're talking about.

Samsung, the company that made foldables a household name and became the Apple of Android and turned Android into their own thing that surpasses Google in some ways, isn't creative? I'd argue they're more creative than Google!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Desk Lamp posted:

In other disappointing news, Samsung is removing their gestures. The only options will be either on-screen buttons or Google's gestures. Personally, I suppose I'll get used to the idea of using Google gestures, but it sucks to lose the superior gestures for a gimmick like circle search.

What the hell, that's such BS. I hate buttons, why would they do that?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Samsung's UX and software is great, zero problems with it and I love the amount of customisation!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This sounds like a cry for help.

You'll notice the amount of pixel problems itt compared to Samsung problems. The choice is obvious my friend (get whatever phone you want, who cares lol)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Lol we've had multiple people praise Samsung's UI on this page but sure, pixel supremacy*

In terms of fingerprint sensor, my Fold 3 and 5 have been perfect. I like having it on the power button.

*until the next person posts about a highly unusual pixel bug in a page or two

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Dang a lot of cries for help from Samsung owners

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I rewatched Glass Onion the other night

I'm so sorry

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

In a similar vein, last time I visited America and every time I paid with my Fold the cashier would always say "Apple pay?" and I'm like... sure...

Apple's marketing is on point, you gotta give them that

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I was hiking the AT in 2017 and went to a Walgreens in Georgia to buy something. Put my card next to the contactless thing and the cahsier was like "what are you doing?" then it went through and she said "oh no one's done that before."

Blew my mind.

Also I'll be relocating to the US soon (I know, goondolences) and I tell you this, I ain't texting anyone! Get on signal baby

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Why press a microphone button when you can just say hey Google?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I just went traveling and used eSims for the first time and it's an absolute game changer. I'll be using Airalo from now on, the whole process was incredibly easy and beats the hell out of finding physical sims in shops and trying not to lose the one I came with!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Cockmaster posted:

I've been looking at the Galaxy Z Fold, but I'm not sure I could justify paying for a new one. Any advice on shopping for pre-owned specimens? Which generation should I look for to avoid the issues with the early folding OLED screens, yet get something approaching a reasonable price?

I got my Fold 3 on eBay for a great deal and it worked perfectly. I think you'll do well with the 3, I had no problems with the performance or battery at all, same with the folding

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Deathlove posted:

Holy mother of gently caress, yes, I get that I can circle to search, please stop putting up a full screen advertisement for it. Is this repeatedly happening to anyone else?

Not for me!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It's pretty impressive stuff! As is the new photo AI editor.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yes I mean I think it's good the phone tells you that you have new tools and things you can use. It popped up after I updated and that was it

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Aware posted:

gently caress AI junk I'm not reading about or using any of it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Oh man, I've never heard of an update breaking a phone that badly, Imagine not being able to receive calls! Completely unacceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

There's nothing we can say to change their mind but the cloud is by magnitudes safer to backup your stuff then your phone and a hard drive