Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you're looking at them because you think Samsung butchers the OS or Motorola barely provides any of the promised updates, then boy have I news for you about Xiaomi.

Are there still Nokia branded phones?

Actually using a Nokia G50 right now, they're still on the market but mainly in the low-mid segment. Update policy is pretty decent too, 3 years of security updates and 2-3 OS version upgrades and virtually no bloatware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

VictualSquid posted:

Whatsapp took off in Germany because SMS used to massively overpriced by the network companies, compared to the relatively cheap low speed data rates. They dropped their prices since then but it was too late.
SMS was even expensive enough that most people spent the time to teach grandma to use whatsapp and on their old phone. And that made it popular enough that you can buy feature phones that are whatsapp compatible. And interact with many businesses through whatsapp.
Now we are stuck, because nobody wants to explain the meaning of meta's purchase of whatsapp to grandma in order to motivate her to plan a day where you can explain signal to her.

The same happened in other European countries, not just because SMS was overpriced but also because MMS was even more overpriced. I remember seeing prices of like €1,50 per message for MMS back in the day in The Netherlands. Not to mention group chats on Whatsapp quickly became a thing and those are still sticking around.

Meanwhile over here in Bulgaria both Viber and Whatsapp peacefully coexist although Viber has a bigger share and most companies will use it for communication. The only thing SMS is still used for is paying for parking or 2FA.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

bull3964 posted:

Nothing seems to be doing some far more interesting stuff. The 2(a) seems like a legit great little device and it's a shame it's not officially being sold in the US.

I got a Nothing Phone (2a) two weeks ago to replace the Nokia G50 I had before, and it's amazing how much better this phone is. Speedy, responsive and looks good, and the cameras are quite nice. The glyphs are kind of a gimmick but they don't detract from what's overall a great device. Shame it somehow manages to attract dust and fingerprints though.

Obligatory sample photos: