Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Has anybody else got the Pixel 7a? I'm thinking of replacing my 3a as the battery is terrible these days, and it is starting to struggle performance-wise. I think I might have to bite the bullet and get over the fact they aren't bringing back the rear fingerprint sensor or headphone jack. Currently got a 15% Local Guide discount I can apply as well.

BonoMan posted:

godDAMN I'm so tired of this stupid loving super slick phone backs.

Goondolances. I cracked my Nexus 4 in a similar way - after the plastic protector finally came loose and I removed it, a week later it slid off the top of a book on my PC tower, onto a tile floor. The back of that thing was so pretty :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Turns out I can use my Local Guides 15% discount for the 7a, but I can't also get the current offer of a free Chomecast 4K. However, I can get up to £53 by trading in my 3a, or Cex are offering £70-90 for Grade B and A so might go with them instead.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Well if it hasn't got a rear fingerprint reader or a 3.5mm headphone jack I'm not missing anything but waiting around for it - went ahead and ordered the 7a from the Google Store.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Are you fixed on buying the phone outright or is A2 year contract an option for you?

I haven't looked into contracts as I've currently got a SIM only service with Three Mobile - currently paying £25 for unlimited data but have been considering reducing that to 25GB for £14 as I don't normally use more than that in a month (or even their 120GB plan for £2 more). Looking at their contract deals, the phone is £20 cheaper over 36 months, but the plan costs more overall.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Carphone Warehouse have some of the best deals available, though their network selection is limited to iD Mobile and Vodafone. I think iD Mobile is a virtual mobile operator based on Three, so it's definitely worth checking out.

I forgot Carphone Warehouse was a thing. The plan does look good but the Pixel I ordered from the Google Store arrived and I'm using it now :shrug: I'll have to remember them in a few year's time!

And speaking of my new phone, I'm getting a notification sound every time the track changes on Tidal - a long press on the media bar doesn't give me an option to mute it, and going into Settings > Apps and turning off all notifications for Tidal doesn't make a difference. Any idea what I'm missing?

edit: worked it out, it was the last dot fm app

Carpet fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I've been using my new 7a for a week now, and while not having to worry about charging the battery three times a day is great, yeah the in-screen fingerprint sensor is dogshit compared to my 3a's rear one. I reckon it works 1/4 of the time, and I'm not totally certain that the one time it works it's actually using face unlock instead.