Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Pixel gang rise up

My 8 Pro is getting here tomorrow. Love my 7 Pro, but apparently I'm a new phone every year kinda guy now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Apparently you need to be in cell service to activate Google Fi. RIP me and my WiFi calling until I can get into town.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

the 8 Pro screen is so good. i'm so glad it lost the curved edges.

I really like the feel.

Not curved! For your pleasure!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There seems to be a bunch of WiFi and Bluetooth bugs in Android 14. Incoming patch notes seem to have fixes.

https://developer.android.com/about/versions/14/release-notes#beta2.2

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Who the hell is doing actual work conversations over text messages? That's a SecOPS nightmare.

So, so many people.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've worked with a lot of attorneys and bankers in my day. Pretty much all of them did business over text.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

did any of you Honourable Pixel Warriors get the pixel tablet? it's on sale for black friday and it's tempting

We got one at release and use it as a kitchen/cooking tablet. Not exactly putting it through its paces, but for that it has been excellent.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

mom if you need me, you've got plat, send me a PM

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

how many of them are your hand me downs?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes but do you have that bone with Silian rail? Otherwise you're just a scrub.

It's good you recognize that you're in this situation. It'd be good to sort out before you have an absolute meltdown later on in life.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So did Google just remove the ability to press the microphone button to get to Google Assistant as a way to get everyone to download Gemini? I'm very confused as to why they'd think I'd want to search when pressing that button.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Qmass posted:

on my default as gently caress pixel7, with the search bar on the homescreen, I used to be able to tap the microphone and say poo poo like 'remind me at time thing' and it would do it without having to use assistant or anything that I can't be hosed with.

they just disabled that and now it opens a google search

wtf?

I have no idea why they made this change but it is driving me crazy. I like to use the button over "hey Google" for several reasons, the main one being that I want some of these set on my phone and not my Google Home.

There's a setting to change "hold the power button" to Google Assistant instead of power controls, which I've changed, but is super dumb. I didn't realize there was a "diagonal swipe" gesture and at least at first glance it doesn't seem to work / be on for me.

Just Google poo poo.

[Edit: turned on the gesture, set back the power button to power controls, all is right in the world.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 16, 2024

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Google Max gang rise up!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm glad the small-handed people can get their Pros. Looking forward to trading in my Pixel 8 Pro for a Pixel 9 XL because I'm a PIXEL WARRIOR.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

eviltastic posted:

fwiw, Google may have broken something important with a recent Pixel update(s), resulting in weird behavior for some folks. https://www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-owners-calls-text-network-issues-3431315/

I was basically a sitcom character while trying to figure out dinner this evening. My girlfriend and I were subsequently able to figure out that it's a crapshoot whether her Pixel 7 receives calls or texts from me, an iPhone user, unless she's recently had something outbound to me. As in, if my calls aren't going through, a text from her to me immediately (if briefly) fixes the problem. Reproduceably. It's strange.

e: pretty sure it's not a carrier issue.

My wife was having absolute hell trying to have her doctor call her over a week or so. She couldn't call in or join a pre-scheduled call, he would only call her and she missed his calls due to this over and over and over again. We thought it was due to WiFi calling, we don't have cell coverage, but we never had issues before this.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

And we will call it Nexus.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'd be remiss not to share the astrophotography thread as well if anyone is looking for more pictures!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3155317

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

this AI poo poo is so loving stupid and pointless and i loving hate it

my entire life right now is pretending its awesome and i loving hate it