Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

hark posted:

do we know when the 8 series are dropping? I'm considering either getting one of those or pulling the trigger on a z flip 5

October 4th.

I just sold my Pixel 7a because I found the battery life to be awful for the 3 months I had it - hitting 10% power at 3.5-4hrs screen time (on 60hz) - much worse than the 2 year old 4a5g it replaced. My replacement (a refurb'd Xperia 1iv) is seeing me comfortably get to the end of the day with 30%+ left but boy do I miss some of the pixel-exclusive stuff like call screening.

blunt fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

DaveSauce posted:

1) Is there a recommended way to remote desktop in to an android device? This would be within the same network, not over the internet. GUI is important here, command line won't do it.

I've used scrcpy https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy before over USB with great success. It says it also supports doing it over TCP/IP but I haven't personally tried that.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Artelier posted:

Can I get more impressions of the Xperia 1 V please?

I've got the 1 IV and with regards to the camera system I'd say that if you're spending 20 seconds in one of the manual modes composing a photo the results you can get are absolutely phenomenal, but in fully auto basic mode (which is different to fully auto pro mode, and is the default when you open the camera app) the pictures are definitely a notch below the pixel 7a that I came from.

The big differences I'd say are that in auto it tends to be much less HDR-y and generally a bit under exposed - pretty much every photo I take quickly in basic/auto mode I have to go and crank the brightness on a bit before sharing. I didn't realise how much I liked the default Pixel look until I didn't have it anymore.

The actual detail/quality is great and those above caveats are very much subjective aesthetic things, so they may not bother you at all. Personally I solved them by installing a modded version of GCam, but that can be a little bit buggy in its own ways.

Two things I love about the 1 IV camera though are the absolutely fantastic eye focus/focus speed and the ability to do bursts of 20 full-res HDR shots. Those are killer.

Battery life has been fantastic too, but YMMV on the V cos different chipset etc.

blunt fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 3, 2023