Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The A54 5G is still the go-to midranger when esim support is one of the must haves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Looked into it a bit since I like the idea of a small powerful phone with a big battery but only two years of OS updates seems really poor, when google is about to move to 5 and even other manufacturers are offering double that.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I phrased that poorly, I meant double the two years that Asus offers, like Samsung and OnePlus do.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Do they usually have reviews up right after the announcement or are reviewers only getting their devices in the coming days? I'm curious to read a deep dive on the 8, since I could probably upgrade for 200-300 Euro between trade-ins and selling the Pixel Watch 2 but from just the spec sheet I don't see the value over the 7.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

It's probably only going to be hands on today with initial impressions and unboxings and I wouldn't expect the full embargo to drop until next week sometime. You see that pretty much with all tech stuff.

What's your take based on the specs so far? More of a refresh than a substantial upgrade?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
If these upgrades are enough to allow for smooth scrolling of the Google Now feed for the first time, hell, I might even upgrade myself.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Support page is up and confirms that 7 years of support is for security *and* OS updates.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Update check just found the OTA for Android 14 on my international Pixel 7 Pro.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is this not just Google not wanting to deal with self imposed deadlines? Instead of stories about updates being delayed from the usual schedule, they're saying the schedule is just "when it's done", which really just means there is no schedule.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

Google has managed to do Level 3 Biometrics with a simple front facing camera.

I may be missing something obvious but that stuff isn't regulated, is it? Isn't it just Google deciding whatever level of security they can achieve with a single cam is good enough? It's not independently verified or whatever, is what I'm trying to say.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

I will laugh like CRAZY though if the S24U ends up having a Samsung LSI SD8 Gen 3 in it because of all the collective head implosions.

Do you expect a fully custom Google chip by the Pixel 10 or later?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

One could argue that its moot now since the major hurdle is surmounted (long term update plan.)

Hmm, complex subject, thanks for laying it out tho.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Learned with some surprise this morning that, after updating to Android 14, my alarm was blocked by having DND on. I assume, since I've not seen any posts about this, this is some weird bug that happened to only me tho?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

ShoogaSlim posted:

assuming you've checked these settings and allowed alarms to interrupt dnd?

I had everything set up correctly and after updating to Android 14 alarms weren't allowed through DND anymore, I've since set it up again but worth looking in your settings just to make sure is what I'm saying.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Rap Game Goku posted:

Its set to show everything. At least all the places I've found to look. All I get is:

If you use face unlock with the skip Lockscreen option, you don't get Lockscreen widgets. It sucks but iiwii.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I noticed since upgrading my P7P to Android 14 those automated texts with a one time use code arrive quicker than before, used to I often had to wait over 30 seconds to a minute, now they always arrive within 10 seconds. Has anyone else noticed something similar? I feel like it must be a phone side change, since it started happening right after the 14 update.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

Just wanted to point out that the 7a is super repairable (even moreso than the 6a).

If this holds true, or is maybe even improved, for the 8a, that should make that a great value proposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Google has recently implemented a change where, when paying with Google Pay at an NFC terminal, I have to confirm payment via fingerprint which I find quite annoying. I remember that the facial unlock on the Pixel 8 is considered fingerprint equivalent, can anyone confirm that and that you don't need the fingerprint to pay at a NFC terminal? I'm in Europe, in case region matters at all.