Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
I'm upgrading to a galaxy A54 from an iPhone 7 and wonder if anyone could tell me the best way to export all the contacts from my iphone? iCloud has less than half the contacts and only 10% in google contacts. I have no idea where the other half are stored so I would like to get them all directly from the iPhone.

I would also like to transfer my messages.

I have the latest version of google drive on my galaxy tablet and it shows all the pictures in my folders at the top level alongside those folders, is there any way to stop this? It's driving me mad.

JamesieAB fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

Zadda posted:

Samsung has an app called Smart Switch.

I haven't used it to transfer from iOS to Android but on the Samsung site they also have an iOS version of it so I think you can use that to transfer your data (contacts, messages, photo's).

It's been a while since I used it but if I recall you just have to have the app installed on both devices.

Thanks for the info, I tried it but couldn't get my contacts to transfer properly.
I will have to export them individually and import them into the new phone. Fortunately some are no longer used so I won't have to transfer all of them.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Is Galaxy Unpacked just about the s24 or is anything else likely to be announced?

How about CES, anything useful other than see through matrix screens and lovely star wars football robots?

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Never heard of Smart Rings. We truly live in the future!

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

smoobles posted:

Can my Smart Ring auto turn off my phone notifications when I am masturbating

You'll need the optional Smart Ring Plug for that.

JamesieAB fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 12, 2024

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Are there any decent hardware review sites/yt channels out there? Most seem to be top 'n' fluff.

I am currently looking for a fast durable 512gb/1tb usb c stick to use with my android tablet and phone for backups and transfers.

JamesieAB fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 12, 2024

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

AlexDeGruven posted:

I have a 2TB Samsung T7 Shield. It's pretty portable, but not really a stick.

It's USB C and wicked fast, though. Probably NVMe inside.

Thanks, Is it this model?
https://www.samsung.com/uk/memory-storage/portable-ssd/t7-shield-1tb-blue-external-storage-nvme-1050-mbs-mu-pe1t0r-eu/#benefits

The reason I wanted a usb stick was the small form factor would easily fit in my wallet pocket (3x3 inches), but it looks the shield would fit in there with the cable detatched.

Can anyone recommend a small usb-c enclosure (possibly stick form factor)/nvme combo that is high performance and is cheaper than the samsung shield?

JamesieAB fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 13, 2024

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, after Sandisk's debacle, this is the direction I'm going from now on.

What was the Sandisk debacle? I missed this.

Are there any reliable usb c stick makers?

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Was it just ssd's?

I have "Sandisk Extreme PRO 32gb SD cards" for my camera and a "SanDisk Extreme PRO SD UHS-II USB-C Card Reader" to transfer files to my tablet/phone.

I have only had one read error in the year since I got them and that doesn't seem too bad to me

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Another couple of questions.

I've just noticed that Samsung 512gb sd cards are only around £31 each. Would it be a terrible idea to use my sd card reader to make backups of my tablet and phone to these?

What is the difference between the evo plus and evo select? They seem to have the same specs.

Are there better/cheaper choices I should look at over Samsung?

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
I used to use google drive with my old windows pc and would like to use an online cloud system again. Now that I'm using an android tablet and phone I downloaded the google drive app and also tried the web interface.

I get a list of my folders and then a list of 'files' and by files they mean images, these images are from my folders and I can't get rid of them. Maybe this has something to do with google photos.

I also can't figure out how I get everything to synch so that I have an identical file structure/files between devices and my online storage. I thought this was how it worked on windows?

I would like recomendations for alternatives that don't cost too much but would synch my folder system between my online storage, tablet, phone and maybe offline storage. Extra marks for anything that doesn't try and think for me (like the photos on google drive).

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Thanks for the info.

Jottacloud looks interesting but at the moment I am using around 20Gb and Google charges £1.60 for 100Gb.

All the images files show up in Solid Explorer as well and on closer inspection appear to not include my google photos files, they seem to only be copies from my folders made over a few days last summer. It could be that I was moving them around for some reason and forgot about them? Anyway I am moving them all into a folder now to tidy things up a bit.

I think I will stick with google drive and Solid Explorer for a while and clean up my folders.

Thanks again Goony Goon Goons.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
What's the best way to swap my volume rocker functions? At the moment my tablet (s8 ultra) when held in portrait mode with the rocker on the left is volume up on the botton rocker and down on the top one, this is the opposite to my phone and I regulary get it wrong.

Am I missing a setting or is there an app I need?

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't mean to be flippant, but it sounds like you're holding the tablet upside down. Couldn't you just flip it around and have the buttons face the right way?

Flipping heck! I never thought of ...

While a perfectly Cromulent idea, I'd prefer the power button below the rocker so that would mean the left side. I forgot to mention I would want the volume swap to be the same in Landscape.

Swapping the rocker volumes would then mirror my phones buttons. Anyway, first world problems...

JamesieAB fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 24, 2024

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
How do I switch on the send sound in messages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Does anyone know if samsung smart switch can restore individual files?

Does the custom restore option restore all items in a group to it's original location or can it restore to a specific folder?

Is there a simple way to sync my samsung phone and tablet so that they have the same files?

thanks