Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It seems you wither have a large thumb or are very precise. I see the light at least once a day. But even if I perfectly cover the sensor with my digit, it still glows through pretty strongly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Has T-Mobile said why they keep doing this?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Kirios posted:

What the gently caress T Mobile why doesn't my Pixel 7 have 14 yet?!

It's evidently become their MO.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Looks like T-Mobile blessed the Android 14 update. My P7 on Mint sees it now.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I never got over how they forced the lockscreen clock into a two-lined square shape. It's still hard for me to read months later. I'm finally at peace.

It's really weird that you have to turn on that option to get the snazzy "information around the screen" look on the lockscreen. The clock itself isn't actually double-lined...

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It took me a while to even find this option. I like it, but I wish all the information were oriented the same way. Why is the temperature sideways?

I dunno. The date and weather icon are too.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there some setting I need to turn back in to get the little vibration when swiping up from the nav bar? On 13 I'd get it once the cards were locked in (that is, after the vibration I could let go and stay in the list, rather than springing back to the app).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is the battery usage just... not showing which apps used battery anymore with Android 14?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Nope, that's what I meant:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3FTo9FVKAMjKXr6x9

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Rap Game Goku posted:

You have to tap on the day and it'll give you the break down.

Ahhh, thanks. Didn't have to do that with 13.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Ahhh, thanks. Didn't have to do that with 13.

Never mind, looks like I can only check apps' battery usage for one hour at a time. Can't see the usage since charged. Maybe I need to factory reset, but that's going to have to wait until the weekend when I'm home.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

minusX posted:

I've had to sit on the screen you've posted for a while and it loaded after 10-30 seconds at points. Have you clicked "Battery Usage" and then just...wait?

Oh, huh. Yup, that worked.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

butt dickus posted:

this answers everything, thank you

For what it's worth, I don't have InTune in my personal apps. I actually don't have it in the work apps either, just "Company Portal".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is T-Mobile holding the security update again this month? I thought I saw a headline that it was released yesterday, but on Mint Mobile I'm not seeing an update for my Pixel 7.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any way I can get my phone / Google Messages to retry retrieving these texts?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Nope. Going to try a restart.

Edit: nope, still just the spinning.

hooah fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 25, 2023

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

BabyFur Denny posted:

Maybe someone just sent you those spinning icons as a message to drive you crazy

It's have to have been both my sister and her husband. Usually when an MMS doesn't download it'll actually fail after a few minutes and I can force it to retry. That's not happening with these few messages.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

poe meater posted:

If you haven't already, try turning off WiFi and only connect using your cellular network.

Yeah, I did try that. Most of the problem (aside from my family insisting in using communications technology from the '90s) is that my house has little to no cell signal.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ShoogaSlim posted:

you could maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling the messages app

It's a Pixel so I can only reset it to the factory version. I guess it's worth a shot, although those messages may not be available any longer. Don't they only stay in the cell system for a limited time?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just tried Textra and it doesn't see any pending messages.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Have you tried the web version of Messages? It seems like it might be worth a shot to see if things behave as expected there.

That's a good idea. I see the messages there waiting to be downloaded. We'll see if they ever arrive...

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

That's a good idea. I see the messages there waiting to be downloaded. We'll see if they ever arrive...

Well, it got two out of three. Thanks for the suggestion.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Artelier posted:

Does anyone have recommendation for an app that automatically changes wallpaper?

Muzei is good. Pixels also have a few built-in wallpapers that rotate.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Occasionally my Pixel 7 will fail my thumbprint when trying to unlock an app, and it'll immediately make the biometric unlock option unavailable, instead of needing three failures. What causes this behavior? I haven't noticed it when unlocking my phone itself.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ShoogaSlim posted:

one thing that annoys me is letting a phone call ring but pressing a volume button to mute/silence/stop vibration on my phone, but there's no similar option for doing that on my watch that's also vibrating. i either have to hit the gently caress you button or let my wrist vibrate till it's over.

On my Galaxy Watch4 at least I can push one of the physical buttons and my watch stops vibrating.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Not directly Android-related, but I figured this has the highest concentration of people who'd know.

Is it possible to use double- or triple-flanged silicone ear tips with the Pixel Buds pro? By which I mean both "do ones exist that will fit on the tubes of the earbuds?" and "will they fit in the case?".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I wonder if you can stack that with a trade in.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hark posted:

I know people are against the idea, but this is pretty much the only reason I still root, is to run swift backup on my phone. It backs up everything. I have had the "same" phone for 3 phones now because I just restore backup every time I get a new one and it's almost exactly the same as my last one, barring slight differences when there's an os update and stuff

This is definitely the one thing I miss from when I rooted my phones. Back up with Titanium Backup, put that in Google Drive. Sign in to new phone, install TiBu, then restore. Waaaaay faster than having to re-download everything.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
That happens to me too occasionally. It's very disconcerting.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Blurb3947 posted:

Right but SMS is garbage and antiquated. Not to mention insecure, unreliable for groups and platforms, and you can't even send a gif

I've been telling my family this for years, but they just don't care. SMS/MMS (plus iMessage for the two or three with iPhones) works well enough for them that I just get left out of a lot of conversations in my cell signal black hole (SMS over wifi works fine on Mint Mobile, bit for whatever reason MMS only sends or receives on cell signal).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

other people posted:

xperia v 5 is here. Definitely larger than a pixel 5 but less giant feeling than the xenfone 10. It feels like a higher quality thing too :shrug:. Guess I'll stick with it.

The software seems okay so far, too.

Unrelated to the devices but I went to make sure my pixel 5 whatsapp had made a recent backup before I set it up on the new fone and it turns out whatsapp hasn't completed a backup since July of last year and never gave any indication about it. Quality stuff.

I'm really confused. According to Phone Arena, the Xperia V 5 is like a quarter inch (~6 mm) taller than either the Pixel 5 or the Zenfone 10. It is slightly narrower, though.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

JamesieAB posted:

I used to use google drive with my old windows pc and would like to use an online cloud system again. Now that I'm using an android tablet and phone I downloaded the google drive app and also tried the web interface.

I get a list of my folders and then a list of 'files' and by files they mean images, these images are from my folders and I can't get rid of them. Maybe this has something to do with google photos.

I also can't figure out how I get everything to synch so that I have an identical file structure/files between devices and my online storage. I thought this was how it worked on windows?

I would like recomendations for alternatives that don't cost too much but would synch my folder system between my online storage, tablet, phone and maybe offline storage. Extra marks for anything that doesn't try and think for me (like the photos on google drive).

The Google Drive app on my phone looks like my folder structure on e.g. my computer if I go to the app's Files tab. I don't see my Google Photos files.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

repiv posted:

except when it isn't, such as the system level "web search" text selection shortcut always going to google regardless of your default search engine

Are you talking about when you select text and choose "web search"? Mine runs a Start Page search on Firefox.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For some reason, at least on my Pixel 7, the Assistant takes longer to be ready to register speech when I do the diagonal swipe than when I hold the power button.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Resdfru posted:

I just swipe down from anywhere on screen to see notifications and up from anywhere on screen to open app drawer. Is that a android thing or a Samsung thing? https://www.samsung.com/ae/support/mobile-devices/opening-the-notification-panel-by-swiping-anywhere-on-the-screen/

Anywhere on the home screen is an Android thing. I'd be impressed if you can swipe down anywhere on any screen to open the notification drawer - how would it differentiate that from scrolling?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm still using SwiftKey as well. I have to use GBoard for my work stuff, and it's fine, I guess, but I feel like I have to make far more corrections with it (although I swipe type on that and tap type in SwiftKey).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I really love it when Gmail fails to delete an email from the notification and just leaves this sitting there indefinitely:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Did you mean to leave your email address?

Nope, but oh well. If someone wants to pay :10bux: to go to my spam folder that's fine with me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, a weird behavior just started yesterday. On my Pixel 7, when I swipe the bottom bar to change apps, the bar moves to the side of the screen for 4-5 seconds, as if I'd rotated the phone to landscape. Is anyone else seeing this behavior? It'll go away immediately if I swipe up to go to the home screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Can iOS devices use Android's Find My Device network to find things? I've tried searching but only find articles about the anti-stalking measures.