Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I 1000% see the appeal, I just don't think the designs are there yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rap Game Goku posted:

Questions about longevity aside. I think the designs are fine, they're just too expensive.

Yeah when I said designs I meant durability, tech, etc. The sizes and aspect ratios and all are pretty good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I mean at this point, why even try. It looks like a Pixel, there's absolutely nothing to glean from those images and we'll have a full understanding on how the phone will perform when the Pixel 8 comes out in a month since it will be using the same SoC.

Phones are super boring now aside from foldables.

Yeah, wake me up when there is anything new or interesting about a phone release, otherwise I sleep

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Laughing Zealot posted:

Have been thinking about upgrading from my Pixel 4A for a while and now that I managed to drop and break the screen I have an excuse. Isn't the Pixel 7A a pretty safe pick?

I'm selling my 4 month old Pixel 7 for a good price if you're interested. It's near mint, always in a case/screen protector. I can check battery health level this evening and make an SA Mart listing if you (or anyone else) is interested.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Ok what the hell. I thought I had this solved, but no dice.

Android 14 - Pixel 7.

I'm taking some simple product shots on a white light box background. I bump up the exposure in the camera app to blow out the background, and when I look at the snapped photo in the camera app, it looks great.

But when I download from photos, the exposure is somehow set back to normal and the background is all mid-tones. What is going on?!? Occasionally one *will* retain the exposure... but if I sit there and take 5 or 6 more with the same exposure settings, the rest are all reset to 0.

Question still remains - any recommended camera apps beyond the stock one? I love Filmic Pro for video control, but it doesn't do stills.

Lightroom should give you the “pro” controls even with the free features

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

not to mention multiple Find My Phone apps and GPS. Stealing a phone is loving stupid and I imagine only dumbass teenagers ever attempt it.

Someone in the iphone thread just got their brand new 15 pro stolen and a week later it was pinging Find My from China. So yeah, they get stolen and sold for parts back to stripping operations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

On my Pixel 7 Firefox ran like absolute poo poo so much so that I came to conspiratorial conclusions about Google purposefully loving with it. It's perfect on iOS and my old android tablet.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This was on a fresh install. It had (and still has) a significant delay in responding to clicks, scrolling, and any other touches or interactions. Never seen anything like it and it was the only app that did it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What actually surprised me the most though, was how little of an issue it was switching platforms.

E: I actually prefer my old Pixel 7 Pro’s fingerprint unlock vs Face ID, but that’s mostly because Face ID usually refuses to recognize my face while lying in bed lol. So it’s either that, or get occasionally blinded by fingerprint unlock at night.

I went the opposite way and basically agree. 95% of the stuff I use a phone for was the same, just minor UI stuff here and there was different as well as actual device difference.

Weird about faceID though, it never fails me no matter how dark it is or even if my face is mostly covered (I enabled mask unlock mode). Literally never fails to unlock as long as it's actually pointing at my face. My pixel 7 would only unlock via fingerprint about 50% of the time at best.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Try Lightroom's camera function. It has a free version that should cut out all the dumb Samsung processing and just shoot raw images.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I mean, my boss has texted me on occasion if something has come up, but then the conversation switches to teams.

This goon has never worked outside of a corporate setting and it shows

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This is on the tail of them announcing they're killing uBlock Origin next year too. gently caress google.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Pvt. Parts posted:

Just turn your adblockers off or get YouTube premium. I don't understand how 5-10 seconds of ads is such an impossible price to pay for all the amazing, often "grassroots" content on YouTube. Expecting all of that for $0 is just pure entitlement to me.

And in general across the web, it's not the 00's anymore, ads are much more well behaved now in general. The sites with the truly cancerous ads are the sites you don't want to visit anyway. Try going a week without an adblocker, it will be fine, I promise.

:lol:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Pvt. Parts posted:

Otherwise you are effectively stealing the content

These posts don't deserve any response beyond :lol:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Both Google and YouTube search have taken massive nosedives in the last few years. I don’t want to see 5 results then see “viewers also watched” videos.i don’t want to see shorts. I don’t want AI summaries of my search results that are laughably inaccurate. Whoever is steering the direction of Google to make everything a lovely version of the TikTok algorithm needs to disappear.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

uBlock Origin is getting canned?! Source?

quote:

Google confirms they will disable MV2 extensions including uBlock Origin in mid 2024

https://developer.chrome.com/blog/resuming-the-transition-to-mv3/

https://9to5google.com/2023/11/16/chrome-extensions-disabled/

It's not the first time they've threatened this, but I am more willing to believe it happens this time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Buy my like new 7 for a song.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

rowkey bilbao posted:

You sure it isn't the specific website you're on that does some bullshit to prevent people from copying their precious content?

Yeah I bet it’s this

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Literally no one I know uses WhatsApp. Or signal. It's all text or discord.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

withoutclass posted:

Have you considered living in the real world?!

Absolutely not.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I've heard of android v ios tribalism, but :lol: of course even within the android platform there's also stupid tribalism

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I have an old device (Nexus 5X) I’d like to use as basically an iPad touch on flights and such. The problem is the version of android it has (8.1 I think) runs awfully slow now, like a 2 second delay to bring up the keyboard in a text box. Is there a way to put Android Go or any other super stripped down version of the OS on an old device? I don’t mind rooting it. I just want to use it for ebooks and VLC, etc.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Serotoning posted:

It makes the tone weird IMO.

only if you hyper-analyze every single little detail of a casual conversation

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Reddit is a disaster

Can't be overstated. old.reddit.com in a browser is the only possible way that hellsite is usable now and I know they're going to kill it any day now

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't need an app for the doughnut. I'll just give you the money, and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It’s a Mitch Hedberg joke you uncultured swine

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Party Boat posted:

How do I stop Google sending me news headlines about Indian politics? I keep hitting "fewer like this" but I'm guessing that reading UK politics news is giving it mixed messages and it's just seeing keywords like "MPs" and "Parliament" and saying "hey, this guy's a big fan of parliamentary democracy, I bet he'd enjoy this!"

I think google fundamentally broke something in their algorithm because youtube has become equally awful at recommending things or even showing relevant search results. If I am searching a camera and lens, why the gently caress are you showing me body horror thumbnails of zip popping maggot bullshit.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

hark posted:

3.4" Pixel 10 Micro, WHEN

would*

*but only if it had 2 day battery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BabyFur Denny posted:

Circle to search is not AI lol

It says right there Advanced Intelligence!