Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Loin King posted:

Millions of years of organisms developed with hearing, dying by opportunistic infections through the recepticals gifted to them for the sense of sound. Countless more evolutions happened to stop said infections, thus giving us guard of said infection.

Average gbs poster: durrrrr i hate it

Snot is gross too, I would have my snot glands surgically removed if I could. Imagine the breathing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

aniviron posted:

Snot is gross too, I would have my snot glands surgically removed if I could. Imagine the breathing!

Imagine all the nasty poo poo that will get up your nostrils and into your body because your snot can't block it out.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

On balance I welcome the viruses, microplastics & other debris if it means no more secretions. It's a good trade.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Debrox sucks, just get sanitary disposable ear spoons instead

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Winkle-Daddy posted:

I don't want my ear dissolved

e: once when I was younger a doctor vacuumed out all my earwax and it was incredible. what might he have used? can I buy one?

Some article about earcleaning devices I read recently stated that home ear vacuum devices generally lack enough power to do anything, and the ones that do work can burst your eardrum if used incorrectly, so should only be used by doctors.

They did recommend the ones that squirt water in your ear.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
my right ear has been plugged forever, and only sometimes pops when i yawn really hard. i can't tell if there's wax buildup because the few times i get desperate to use a Qtip, little comes out.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

emSparkly posted:

Imagine all the nasty poo poo that will get up your nostrils and into your body because your snot can't block it out.

Why not invent some kind of nose and ear plugs?

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
I don’t mind picking my nose and eating it but picking my ears and eating it is out of the question

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Cowslips Warren posted:

my right ear has been plugged forever, and only sometimes pops when i yawn really hard. i can't tell if there's wax buildup because the few times i get desperate to use a Qtip, little comes out.

you might want to either see a doctor, or have someone give you a hand with one of these things. whichever is more affordable in your part of the world

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

One time I was working in a cleanroom and my left ear got so clogged I lost hearing and some balance, randomly, about 9 hours into a 12. At first I was kinda freaking out about when the last time I had a sinus infection was, because my left Eustachian tube has a p-trap in it and I have to be ever-vigilant about sinus infections turning into major ear infections.
Nope, they just had to do a full irrigation and my ear was so sensitive I just called in the day after, because I didn't wanna be in a full bunny suit for 12 hours feeling like that. I was told to never use q-tips again,.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

blight rhino posted:

my traps are too big to block my ear with my shoulder :(

i just relaized you can just use your other hand, i just said shoulders because i usually do this when im driving and need 1 hand on the wheel

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

MrQwerty posted:

One time I was working in a cleanroom and my left ear got so clogged I lost hearing and some balance, randomly, about 9 hours into a 12. At first I was kinda freaking out about when the last time I had a sinus infection was, because my left Eustachian tube has a p-trap in it and I have to be ever-vigilant about sinus infections turning into major ear infections.
Nope, they just had to do a full irrigation and my ear was so sensitive I just called in the day after, because I didn't wanna be in a full bunny suit for 12 hours feeling like that. I was told to never use q-tips again,.

did you defy them and use q tips again

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Chief McHeath posted:

did you defy them and use q tips again

Once in a while but I prefer irrigation these days, because suddenly going off balance and deaf in one ear in an environment like that was unpleasant and not well-appreciated by me or anyone else

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

oh hey, i still have a picture of this thing for some reason
:nms:
the reason is i’m too lazy to delete anything

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Like some kind of heated earplug that keeps earwax more liquid, then a suction system that turns on overnight. You drain it in the morning.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Wax on, wax off

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
if you ask someone to eat their earwax and they give you permission, it counts as being vegan. hth

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

ELTON JOHN posted:

if you ask someone to eat their earwax and they give you permission, it counts as being vegan. hth

Thank god

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
That is a rat turd

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I had this done at a Minute Clinic last week, but the water bottle was like the size of a windex bottle and she had to go through a bottle and a half of water before the evil was expelled from my ear.

It sucked, I got sensitive ears and apparently my ear canals are tiny. And since she had to use so much water I'm on antibiotic ear drops for a week. But at least my ears are clean. It felt like my eardrum was throbbing or vibrating sometimes, an unsettling sensation.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LOL, I've had providers at urgent care use fuckoff huge syringes and just lean into it trying to get the plug out of an ear. Felt like they were in there poking around in there with an ice pick, and they got physically tired from how many times it took for the goddamn wax to finally get free.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

An ultrasonic implant that vibrates ear wax into easily removable pieces.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

redshirt posted:

An ultrasonic implant that vibrates ear wax into easily removable pieces.

My untrained brain has me worried that would gently caress up my eardrums somehow.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

emSparkly posted:

My untrained brain has me worried that would gently caress up my eardrums somehow.

It's fully tested on terminal monkies.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

coronatae posted:

I had this done at a Minute Clinic last week, but the water bottle was like the size of a windex bottle and she had to go through a bottle and a half of water before the evil was expelled from my ear.

It sucked, I got sensitive ears and apparently my ear canals are tiny. And since she had to use so much water I'm on antibiotic ear drops for a week. But at least my ears are clean. It felt like my eardrum was throbbing or vibrating sometimes, an unsettling sensation.

This exact thing happened to me when I went to Urgent Care, down to the windex bottle and eardrum throbbing/vibrating (I call it "wubbing" cause sometimes it's like wubwubwub)

It sucks and it still comes back sometimes in awkward ways. Like if I type with headphones on the ear that they irrigated "wubs" with each keystroke

bking
Dec 19, 2005

Comments: 206-495-6525

PinheadSlim posted:

…it still comes back sometimes in awkward ways. …

Urgent Care is great for middle of the night stuff and sudden, urgent issues, but it’s worth seeing an ENT to get your ears cleaned out. It would also be good to make an appointment with one if your ear continues to act strangely after getting messed with by an Urgent Care worker.

I’ve gotten clogged ears fixed twice by ENTs. One of those times was a same-day appointment made while I was traveling. It’s super rewarding to get a quick procedure that doesn’t hurt and that immediately fixes a problem.

bking fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 18, 2023

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
This is America, we have to make an appointment with the GP for 5 weeks out so that we can ask them to refer us to an ENT, who will let us make an appointment for 5 weeks after that.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Speleothing posted:

This is America, we have to make an appointment with the GP for 5 weeks out so that we can ask them to refer us to an ENT, who will let us make an appointment for 5 weeks after that.

ummm youre thinking of socialized medicine I believe

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I have TMJ so it took me a long time to realize the ear drum vibration was due to earwax and not my incessant jaw clenching.

During last week's cleaning I initially winced and cringed and flinched so much she offered to refer me to an ENT but goddammit I was already paying $$ for her to do it so I just wanted it dealt with.

This post comes to you live from where I'm laying on the floor letting the antibiotic ear drops really soak in :negative:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

And don't get me started on ear hair. Why would you need hair there?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Elman posted:

The hairs act like little brooms to help sweep the sound in

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Never put anything bigger than your elbow in there

I'm 100% guilty of using manicure tools.

I can't hear out of my left ear, but sometimes a hot shower helps it drip out. Way better than finding sand and rat turds in there.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Treecko posted:

Never put anything bigger than your elbow in there

Ok, Nana

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Elman posted:

All the hair that used to be on top of my head has migrated to my ear canals and lobes as I’ve aged. Gotta regularly shave them along with the face :smith:

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
All this snot talk is pretty appropriate as it appears the seasons are shifting again and I am full of it.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Snot and boogers is something I deal with on a daily basis.

You think yours is gross? You have a little allergies?

I blow the whole rainbow out of my nose. We can sort it fom neon green to nuclear piss yellow.

Don't mind the little bit of orange or blod clots mixed in there. Gotta go to the Dr. and get antibiotics for that

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Dick Fontaine posted:

you might want to either see a doctor, or have someone give you a hand with one of these things. whichever is more affordable in your part of the world

Have you used one of these? If so, trip report please.

I'm concerned the tube that goes in your ear appears to be easily adjustable to long enough to poke a hole right through the eardrum and into the brain.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

BigBadSteve posted:

Have you used one of these? If so, trip report please.

I'm concerned the tube that goes in your ear appears to be easily adjustable to long enough to poke a hole right through the eardrum and into the brain.

trip report is a few posts up

Dick Fontaine posted:

oh hey, i still have a picture of this thing for some reason
the reason is i’m too lazy to delete anything

this one is nice because the pressure is regulated. can’t gently caress your own poo poo up by squeezing it too hard. the tips are essential. you’ll want to keep some extras around

e: oh, and as for your tip worries, no they won’t do that unless you’re some kind of mutant. they’re much better for snaking around behind obstructions than those rubber bulb things

TrashMammal fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 19, 2023

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Tried doing removal at home, as usual just made it worse. Went to urgent care and for $50 they removed an earwax baby from my ear in 5 seconds. Feels good man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
This just makes me wonder what people did in the caveman days before they invented all this stuff. Did they just dig it out with twigs? Did people just live with it?? Or die of ear infections? Why would we evolve to be this way???