Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Techmoan made a video about that a while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rLwqQE3DJA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
having line-out and headphone out sharing the same form factor has, is and will be an eternal source for confusion

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Oh good, I've been looking for a product to smooth out my network. The $5,000 audiophile-grade 3 port network switch helped but I could use more refinement.

https://stackaudio.co.uk/smoothlan/

quote:

The SmoothLAN sits between your home network and Hi-Fi system and is designed with one purpose: to eliminate crosstalk and interference and remove potential sources of parasitic noise affecting the system.

Counteracting noise and improving the timing of digital signal transmission are essential steps towards bringing the best out of your Hi-Fi.

quote:

Designed specifically for use with music streamers and capable of handling data speeds up to 100Mbps, the SmoothLAN takes network filtering a step further by integrating six isolation circuits which are individually enclosed within an aluminium case, establishing distinct boundaries. This shielding not only prevents interference between components but also safeguards against performance degradation caused by external vibrations.

quote:

30-day money back guarantee

One week lead time currently advised due to high demand.

Price: £200 EX-VAT

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

CBD Corndog posted:

Oh good, I've been looking for a product to smooth out my network. The $5,000 audiophile-grade 3 port network switch helped but I could use more refinement.

https://stackaudio.co.uk/smoothlan/

Is that that 100Mb ethernet unit that was doing the rounds a year or two back? super glad the site doesn't mention any tech info on the wifi and ethernet capabilities (on the router thing too)

raccoon.bmp
Feb 16, 2023

🦝
About half the cost looks to be in milled aluminum and the 20(!) screws to hold the thing together

The site makes me wonder though, do extreme audiophiles not find enjoyment in music unless they buy something new? Every "testimonial" on every audiophile site mentions how dogshit the music sounded before they buy whatever it is, that their $40k sound systems would give them listening fatigue after an hour or two (??) until they got something to sharpen the corners of their 1's and 0's. It's all fake ofc but it paints a grim picture

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

raccoon.bmp posted:

The site makes me wonder though, do extreme audiophiles not find enjoyment in music unless they buy something new? Every "testimonial" on every audiophile site mentions how dogshit the music sounded before they buy whatever it is, that their $40k sound systems would give them listening fatigue after an hour or two (??) until they got something to sharpen the corners of their 1's and 0's. It's all fake ofc but it paints a grim picture

A lot of it is hedonic treadmill/chasing the dragon. You have some experience that blows you away then you get used to it because it's your system and you listen to it all the time so all that matters is that thrill of "improvement" [read: placebo and expectation effects] and conveniently there's a whole industry of hucksters promising all these vague improvements and all you have to give them is money! Watch out though, you need to experiment to get the correct pairings and system synergy which requires buying even more stuff.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

raccoon.bmp posted:

About half the cost looks to be in milled aluminum and the 20(!) screws to hold the thing together

it’s the same as the guys that drink colloidal silver or do crystal healing, etc

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

it’s the same as the guys that drink colloidal silver or do crystal healing, etc

Hey, colloidal silver actually has a real effect. On your skin tone. But probably also on your health because of heavy metal poisoning. Audiophilia is entirely bullshit throwing money after something you can never achieve, which is actually probably the feeling you got the first time you really heard a guitar solo.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

auzdark posted:

Is that that 100Mb ethernet unit that was doing the rounds a year or two back? super glad the site doesn't mention any tech info on the wifi and ethernet capabilities (on the router thing too)

so our SSDs can perfectly reconstruct 6 GB/s of digital data from analog voltages with some of the shittiest SNR from NAND cells, but 1411kbps along a CAT6 cable is a complete digital signaling disaster

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Palladium posted:

so our SSDs can perfectly reconstruct 6 GB/s of digital data from analog voltages with some of the shittiest SNR from NAND cells

uh no they can't, that's why they sell audiophile SSDs obviously

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/62753-nvme-ssd-designed-for-audiophiles/

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Don't forget Sony and their audiophile sd card from a few years back

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

YerDa Zabam posted:

Don't forget Sony and their audiophile sd card from a few years back

https://www.whathifi.com/news/sony-claims-high-end-sd-card-offers-premium-sound

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

choose your fighter: sony audiophile sd card or samsung AI sd card

https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...nd-on-device-ai

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've been thinking about getting an older 5 disc carousel changer. I had been planning on getting a Denon, but I've read they are actually bad. I have a Denon AVR, which is good.

I vaguely remember changers that allowed for playback while loading. I want coax out. And I don't want to spend more than $100 or so.

Are there any recs I should look out for? I'm guessing Sony would be okay but I really don't know much about this stuff.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I've been thinking about getting an older 5 disc carousel changer. I had been planning on getting a Denon, but I've read they are actually bad. I have a Denon AVR, which is good.

I vaguely remember changers that allowed for playback while loading. I want coax out. And I don't want to spend more than $100 or so.

Are there any recs I should look out for? I'm guessing Sony would be okay but I really don't know much about this stuff.

If you’re using digital out they should all be roughly equally as good if you’re not putting like budget brands/models against higher end ones. A transport is just reading data and sending the ones and zeroes to your receiver’s onboard DAC so your metrics are stuff like build quality, motor longevity and performance, the state of any belts and whatnot. Sound quality should not vary at all.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Okay cool. What about transport quality? That's where I heard denon had problems.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
The people who had problems didn’t charge their crystals first and use snake oil on the mechanism. Do both of those and you should be fine

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The only companies still making changers are Yamaha and Onkyo/Integra which means there's probably still parts floating around when something dies [usually the open/close mechanism]. Also make sure your space can fit one, they're very deep.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

namlosh posted:

The people who had problems didn’t charge their crystals first and use snake oil on the mechanism. Do both of those and you should be fine

How much do those run now?

I'm having trouble with my discount Thoughts and Prayers.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

How much do those run now?

I'm having trouble with my discount Thoughts and Prayers.

Some hucksters will sell you subpar crystals for $1000, but mine are $5000 a pair, and you get what you pay for. I'd recommend getting 6 pair for a beginner's set up. You can really hear the difference, and if you can't, just sign this statement that you have mediocre hearing and get your full money back!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Okay cool. What about transport quality? That's where I heard denon had problems.

Have you checked the OP? There's actually some pretty good answers there already.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Unreal_One posted:

Some hucksters will sell you subpar crystals for $1000, but mine are $5000 a pair, and you get what you pay for. I'd recommend getting 6 pair for a beginner's set up. You can really hear the difference, and if you can't, just sign this statement that you have mediocre hearing and get your full money back!

chinese snake oil peddlers: full money back, you loving noob. you should be saying they aren't hearing any difference because they aren't buying the higher tier oil yet, if they aren't buying keep poor shaming them until they do

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Here's a fun little thing that's happening: Tekton, makers of giant ugly speakers with too many tweeters, threatened legal action against Erin's Audio Corner over an unflattering review. Erin got scared and pulled the review but the story got out and now it's the hottest topic on most audio forums and Amir has pledged 10k towards his defense if it goes to court.

The other funny thing is apparently Tekton the owner shipped Erin the speakers without the feet installed and the mounting for the feet actually is a hole all the way into the cabinet. So I'm sure that didn't help.

qirex fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 9, 2024

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

That suit will likely get tossed out of hand, they'll have one hell of a time proving damages

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
lol that’s a real shame. I’ve always kind of been a bit tekton-curious. I think they look spiffy in a TVR sort of way, big scifi looking speakers in bright Lamborghini colors

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
faithful and competent sound reproduction by drilling completely unnecessary holes into the cabinet

also reminds me even AMD had the common sense to bribe anandtech over the late and sucky phenom 1 than going in the opposite direction lol

Palladium fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 9, 2024

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Whenever I hear about stuff like this I'm reminded of Blue Jeans Cable vs. Monster Cable: https://www.bluejeanscable.com/legal/mcp/index.htm

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Got tickets to AXPONA again.

Time to watch ghouls flex their wallets.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd probably just annoy all the vendors at a place like that as I tried to play various Warp Records tunes on their six figure systems tuned specifically for Diana Krall and Dire Straits

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I would love it if I never had to hear hotel California or fast car ever again at trade show. Give me psych rock or something else, gently caress

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Mr. Mercury posted:

I would love it if I never had to hear hotel California or fast car ever again at trade show. Give me psych rock or something else, gently caress

Last year I was walkin' for hours and that's all I caught.

Pink Floyd, Diana Krall, Dire Straights, etc

Then the passing the SVS room, they were dumping this down the hall. A welcome change from the same ol' poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIGH8nWZXOQ

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

afen posted:

Whenever I hear about stuff like this I'm reminded of Blue Jeans Cable vs. Monster Cable: https://www.bluejeanscable.com/legal/mcp/index.htm

That was so good. I really wish Monster had fought that guy.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Area man forcibly removed from trade show after 35th attempt to play "Original Nuttah"

Subjunctive posted:

That was so good. I really wish Monster had fought that guy.
IMO the best Monster Cable story is Noel Lee's son getting absolutely dunked on by Jimmy Iovine when they were putting together the Beats deal.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
Just demo stuff by playing a bunch of old Mountain Goats and GBV.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

playing woodpecker no. 1 on the most expensive setup i can find and then complaining that the system sounds a bit harsh

repiv fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 10, 2024

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Tainted looveeee

*Boom booooooom* don't touch me please I cannot stand the way - hey, stop, this is a banger, whaddya mean leave!?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

just play skrillex’s Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites and be killed.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

well why not posted:

just play skrillex’s Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites and be killed.

Or request Pump Up The Jams in the Focal room.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Erin published new measurements, found the same thing, Tekton guy seems to be taking it well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I love the complaining about an "unsolicited review".