Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
I demo gear running the original 1993 MP3 of Tom's Diner as performed by the incomparable and Grammy Award-winning Suzanne Vega.

MP3, by design, simplifies sound into its truest self, distilling sound waves into their purest and most basic (i.e.desirable) form. Two samples per second of a cymbal is all one needs to hear the true clarity of a stick smashing a metal dish.

To wit, mono is far superior to stereo. Stereo does not exist in nature other than a mammal belching and farting simultaneously. Even then, one must be positioned in the "golden triangle" between the oral and anal cavities to experience a true "stereo" field. This is also why we use "airy" to describe a sound stage.

If it's good enough for Karlheinz Brandenburg, then it's good enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

The Tron legacy soundtrack is good actually :mad:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I will always laugh at the mental image of Henry Rollins listening to old punk recorded and mixed on a $50 Alesis cassette 4 track on his half million dollar Wilson/McIntosh system.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
If you guys aren’t bringing an arbitrary waveform generator with you to do a frequency sweep when you demo gear then what are you even doing lol

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I read the Rollins article about his stereo and he shouts out the Gee Tee album, which is cool, but also an intentionally hissy, buzzy mess of a mix.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

EL BROMANCE posted:

So that’s what I need to be doing with that CD of St. Anger I have somewhere.

:sickos:

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

well why not posted:

I read the Rollins article about his stereo and he shouts out the Gee Tee album, which is cool, but also an intentionally hissy, buzzy mess of a mix.

You'll really feel the clarity of those pops and clicks on $10k gear. The buzz from the guitar amp sings on my Thorens and adds a 3rd, or even 4th dimension to the recording.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

qirex posted:

I will always laugh at the mental image of Henry Rollins listening to old punk recorded and mixed on a $50 Alesis cassette 4 track on his half million dollar Wilson/McIntosh system.

:lol: you weren't kidding!

Those speakers alone are $200,000 (and are ugly)

e: :lol: I just noticed the little triangles that are holding up the speaker wire so it doesn't touch the ground. (found a pic with Henry in it)

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 26, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Fozzy The Bear posted:

:lol: you weren't kidding!

Those speakers alone are $200,000 (and are ugly)

they look like they should be next to a dentist's chair

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

being cringe comes for us all, in time

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Why do these people always put the amp and player things on the floor? Did they spend all their money on tech so they can't afford the furniture to place it at a usable height?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
having a big ol hollow cavity below your turntable? sounds like a source of... resonant... kinetic... distortion

now, for seventeen thousand dollars, I can sell you a beautiful walnut box filled with harmonic insulation (packing foam, some bubble wrap) to provide a proper base for your turntable

the matching one for the amp also costs seventeen thousand dollars

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
I like to test systems with the music I usually listen to, but maybe I'm a weirdo.

I have a couple of friends that work with PA and stage systems, their test track after rigging up everything is Michael Jackson - Stranger in Moscow. I can see why they use it, it's a great song for checking if everything is working alright.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
at some point i think every audio magazine realized that they were getting old and switched from using "Gaucho" or some smooth jazz record for testing, to namedropping "Random Access Memories", "Silent Shout" or the TRON Legacy soundtrack in an attempt to look cool

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 26, 2023

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Oh, iirc it's actually because DP made a big to do about using recording techniques and media from the 70s/80s and stuff

Like it's interesting but it definitely appeals to the audiophile ethos big time

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 26, 2023

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah Daft Punk also did a slightly different mix for the vinyl master which is catnip for audio magazine writers.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

bigman.50grand posted:

You'll really feel the clarity of those pops and clicks on $10k gear. The buzz from the guitar amp sings on my Thorens and adds a 3rd, or even 4th dimension to the recording.

If it’s pops and clicks you want, the Ryoji Ikeda album DATAPLEX is a good way to get banned from any hifi store that offers speaker testing.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

I always get weird looks when I bring my SNES and a copy of Mario Paint to the hifi store. :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb2jDNZ5JuQ

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal

Neurophonic posted:

If it’s pops and clicks you want, the Ryoji Ikeda album DATAPLEX is a good way to get banned from any hifi store that offers speaker testing.

hehe.. or ‘Test Pattern’.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mr. Mercury posted:

Oh, iirc it's actually because DP made a big to do about using recording techniques and media from the 70s/80s and stuff

Like it's interesting but it definitely appeals to the audiophile ethos big time

It’s awesome on Giorgio by Moroder because the recording tech matches the decade that he’s talking about.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If anyone wants a demo track I’m reading that the Atmos version of The Orb’s Metallic Spheres in Colour is very well done.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

It’s awesome on Giorgio by Moroder because the recording tech matches the decade that he’s talking about.

Also the best track on the album by a long way imo.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I fully agree.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
This might be the wrong thread for this because this is not necessarily just a question about quality but specifically gaming headsets. I am looking for the best usb wireless gaming headset that has a mic, but where sound quality is the biggest factor. I prefer closed ear cans without noise cancellation, though these days it seems like everything bakes that in. Anyone passionate about this sort of thing?

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Read the OP! You want the headphone thread!

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 8, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/weiss-dac501-streamer-and-dac-review.48377/

its weird to see apologists on ASR for a $10K all-digital DAC/streamer with subpar analog outs when PCs that can do any DSP/EQ you ever want exist for 1% the price

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

McIntosh unveils the ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯ control on their new $3000 8 band EQ

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

DarkSol posted:

I always get weird looks when I bring my SNES and a copy of Mario Paint to the hifi store. :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb2jDNZ5JuQ

This is inspired. I will 100% use the Wii Shop music to demo gear from now on.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

EL BROMANCE posted:

So that’s what I need to be doing with that CD of St. Anger I have somewhere.

Only the best black metal demo tapes for me.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Look guys.. I know what router I should buy for wired for my music but when one must go wireless.

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/fidelizer-airstream/

here's a solid quote I got from skimming

quote:

Using a $999.95 ethernet cable on a $499 wireless router may seem excessive. However, one must not forget a primary rule of audio: the system takes on the greatest coloration from the least transparent device or cable.

quote:

AirStream Audiophile Wireless Router

Retail: $495

Nikola Classic LPS

Retail: $395

Nikola Signature LPS

Retail: $695

EtherStream Network Switch

Retail: $395

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That's ridiculous, the cable should cost 20x the router minimum

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

tater_salad posted:

Look guys.. I know what router I should buy for wired for my music but when one must go wireless.

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/fidelizer-airstream/

here's a solid quote I got from skimming

I feel like when they say transparent they’re talking about jacket color.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Placebo is a hell of a drug.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

qirex posted:

Placebo is a hell of a drug.

Great band too

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Grassy Knowles posted:

I feel like when they say transparent they’re talking about jacket color.

look, your phone's GPS receiver can work with satellite signals that's 0.00000000000001% of a single watt, but the last few meters of the internet? An unsolved problem for audio 1's and 0's

which is why for the best audio quality you need a full unbroken chain of ipv6 with zero NAT

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Palladium posted:

ipv6 with zero NAT

IPv6 is a scam to make your music worse, look how much bigger those addresses are! That’s bitspace that can and should be used for audio.

My audiophile IPv4 NAT will sound far warmer. $8000 - Supports 3 clients.
$10000 - Supports 7 clients
Larger needs? Email me and we can work something out.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Grassy Knowles posted:

IPv6 is a scam to make your music worse, look how much bigger those addresses are! That’s bitspace that can and should be used for audio.

My audiophile IPv4 NAT will sound far warmer. $8000 - Supports 3 clients.
$10000 - Supports 7 clients
Larger needs? Email me and we can work something out.

Not sure how anyone would think your NAT client could sound warm if you're splitting (i.e. "watering down") the signal like that with multiple client support.

My solution on the other hand costs $8,000 and supports only 1 client, so all the data is concentrated towards a single listener. That's how you know it's of higher quality.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 27, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

Not sure how anyone would think your NAT client could sound warm if you're splitting (i.e. "watering down") the signal like that with multiple client support.

It’s the same as how the young white lady jazz singer sounds better with a small audience in a smok-filled bar than alone in a daytime coffeeshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

This isn't strictly audiophile, but it's too good to not share. I have a friend who's browsing soundbars. "Oh, huh, I didn't know Polk made soundbars."
Then she looked at the customer photos:

The first paragraph of the accompanying review, which is titled "makes fake sounds":

quote:

i donna like soundbars ,, and i had no desire to get one way back when they were first introduced .. but finally got tired of poor voice quality with my bedroom 24" tv and thought that at this time ,, soundbars should be of better quality and manufacturers know how to make soundbar work right ... and then reading a bunch of reviews that praises soundbar ... i got this polk as my very first one ...

I'm the floating extension cord on the right.