Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CAUTION!
DSD CANNONS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Wayne Knight posted:

CAUTION!
DSD CANNONS!

Live by high dynamic range, die by high dynamic range. I suspect that's more of a sales tool like when they put big warning labels on energy drinks.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

It certainly worked to part me with my $8 at half price books.

I love how ridiculous it is.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I also would buy it, in a "challenge accepted" kind of way. Also while finding the following image I learned that Bassotronics is still releasing music, at least as of a year ago

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Noise Marines just aren't what they used to be.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Wayne Knight posted:

CAUTION!
DSD CANNONS!

My dad had a couple Telarc sampler disks. One of them had the 1812 Overture on it and those cannons were loud. The rest of the recording was at kind of a low level so I could kinda see how somebody might crank it to get to their "normal" listening volume, get to the cannons, and cause their amp to clip and burn something out, or cause a speakers voice coil to smash into the magnet assembly or something.

The other disk had a rendition of the Imperial March with an extra bass drum just thumping along for the whole thing for more oomf I guess.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

qirex posted:

I also would buy it, in a "challenge accepted" kind of way. Also while finding the following image I learned that Bassotronics is still releasing music, at least as of a year ago

I played this and got Havana Syndrome. Strong 7

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wayne Knight posted:

CAUTION!
DSD CANNONS!

Telarc Digital owned. They had a reputation as being the digital label even the anti-digital audiophiles kind of liked. This was the really early days of digitally recorded LPs where some labels didn't really know what they were doing.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This isn't strictly audiophile, but it's too good to not share. I have a friend who's browsing soundbars. "Oh, huh, I didn't know Polk made soundbars."
Then she looked at the customer photos:

The first paragraph of the accompanying review, which is titled "makes fake sounds":

I'm the floating extension cord on the right.

:stare:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Aw man, Samsung bought Roon. Can't wait for my lifetime subscription to get killed.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

They bought Harman back in 2017, which apparently was more about getting their hands on Harman’s connected car technology.

I have no idea what they see in Roon.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Harman also got them AKG, which then led to the Galaxy Buds line. Roon they probably want to form their own music streaming service because gotta build that ecosystem.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Samsung’s gonna wind up killing JBL before the end of the decade

mark my words :smith:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

IIRC it’s actually Harman’s best performing brand by miles, especially the retro styled stuff. It’s far more likely they’ll keep the name and just make increasingly worse products. Unless that’s what you meant by “kill”

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

IIRC it’s actually Harman’s best performing brand by miles, especially the retro styled stuff. It’s far more likely they’ll keep the name and just make increasingly worse products. Unless that’s what you meant by “kill”

yes, that’s what I meant

they’re going to kill the JBL that makes actual speakers, rendering it a company that only makes bluetooth dealies that light up

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol if you don’t test your transients and dynamic range with Death Grips, E40, and the Tron Legacy soundtrack

I have a Yelawolf song (F.A.S.T. Ride) that I test headphones on. It's got some cool stereo separation elements, and lots of bass and lots of sibilants. I'm also not an audiophile, just someone who likes music.

The Bangles cover of Hazy Shade of Winter is another one that is good for headphone tests, cuz if something is wrong with one channel, you can tell in the dueling guitar parts in the intro right away.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Ok Comboomer posted:

yes, that’s what I meant

they’re going to kill the JBL that makes actual speakers, rendering it a company that only makes bluetooth dealies that light up

I thought JBL Pro was still separate?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this in, but I have a nice pair of headphones powered through a DAC and AMP. I also have a subwoofer for bass that I run from the same AMP. So I have a 1/4" splitter that splits the AMP output with one going to my headphones and one going to my woofer.

This works well, however I have noticed that I get bleed across my left and right channels when my subwoofer is plugged into the splitter, but when I unplug the subwoofer, the audio bleed in my headphones no longer occurs. Any idea how I can fix this?

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Try the quick audio questions thread, this is where we mock audiophile snake oil

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kwolok posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this in, but I have a nice pair of headphones powered through a DAC and AMP. I also have a subwoofer for bass that I run from the same AMP. So I have a 1/4" splitter that splits the AMP output with one going to my headphones and one going to my woofer.

This works well, however I have noticed that I get bleed across my left and right channels when my subwoofer is plugged into the splitter, but when I unplug the subwoofer, the audio bleed in my headphones no longer occurs. Any idea how I can fix this?

how charged are your crystals?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Is the splitter made from Aztec gold? It will bleed if it was not properly debled by conquistadors.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Why are they capitalising AMP?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

its short for Analog More Power

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Must work with asymmetric message protocol. The most audiophile of protocols

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Accelerated Mobile Pages, how Google stole the news

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Grassy Knowles posted:

Accelerated Mobile Pages, how Google stole the news

I have noticed google keyboard loves to capitalize regular-rear end words that happen to also be brand names.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Kwolok posted:

I have read this 10 times now, and I'm still trying to understand if you have a subwoofer plugged into a headphone output.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Yeah I think they’re splitting a headphone output and attaching both headphones and a subwoofer to it? :stare:

The subwoofer’s input (and possibly the cable to it) are almost certainly mono, so that’s just bridging the stereo channels on the splitter and causing op’s problem… but also what the hell. Don’t attach a sub to a headphone output.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Kwolok posted:

You may have different goals in the experience that you're seeking, and that's both fine and something you're achieving, but most of us would not consider what you are doing 'working well.'

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
A $10,000 power cord would fix it

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Yeah I think they’re splitting a headphone output and attaching both headphones and a subwoofer to it? :stare:

The subwoofer’s input (and possibly the cable to it) are almost certainly mono, so that’s just bridging the stereo channels on the splitter and causing op’s problem… but also what the hell. Don’t attach a sub to a headphone output.

So I have this: https://www.microcenter.com/product/608494/buttkicker-gamer2

Largely because I am a loving idiot. But it also makes games way more immersive because when I shoot a gun in game I "FEEL IT". But mostly because I am an idiot.

Anyway this needs to take input from a sound source and only uses the low frequency to drive the kicker. I am not an audiophile really, I just have some nice headphones and a dirt cheap amplifier and DAC, and my AMP only has one output so I wasn't sure what else to do to get the output on my headphones and going into the kicker.

But this is the thread to make fun of stupid poo poo, so here is my stupid poo poo to make fun of lol

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Acoustic Music Pumper?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Kwolok posted:

So I have this: https://www.microcenter.com/product/608494/buttkicker-gamer2

Largely because I am a loving idiot. But it also makes games way more immersive because when I shoot a gun in game I "FEEL IT". But mostly because I am an idiot.

Anyway this needs to take input from a sound source and only uses the low frequency to drive the kicker. I am not an audiophile really, I just have some nice headphones and a dirt cheap amplifier and DAC, and my AMP only has one output so I wasn't sure what else to do to get the output on my headphones and going into the kicker.

But this is the thread to make fun of stupid poo poo, so here is my stupid poo poo to make fun of lol

So I looked up ‘buttkicker troubleshooting’, being significantly less stupid than this entire exercise so far, and found people recommending using a second soundcard set to mono for the buttkicker. Like in multiple links on the first page of results. There’s your answer so you can stop saying AMP.

Why would I check the internet for answers before going to the audiophile foolishness thread? I don’t think I should try looking for solutions that don’t require effort from others

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Grassy Knowles posted:

So I looked up ‘buttkicker troubleshooting’, being significantly less stupid than this entire exercise so far, and found people recommending using a second soundcard set to mono for the buttkicker. Like in multiple links on the first page of results. There’s your answer so you can stop saying AMP.

Why would I check the internet for answers before going to the audiophile foolishness thread? I don’t think I should try looking for solutions that don’t require effort from others

Afaict you can't output two separate audio devices simultaneously in Windows. I also have my computer output to a TV as well so when my audio output is set to headphones is the only time I want the kicker to receive signal. That's why I like the splitter design, just trying to figure out if there is a simple hardware solution to eliminate the crosstalk.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kwolok posted:

Afaict you can't output two separate audio devices simultaneously in Windows. I also have my computer output to a TV as well so when my audio output is set to headphones is the only time I want the kicker to receive signal. That's why I like the splitter design, just trying to figure out if there is a simple hardware solution to eliminate the crosstalk.

I use VoiceMeeter Banana and I always have two outputs going. One to my speaker AMP via RCA, and the other to my headphone DAC/AMP via USB.

The trick is lining up the latency for the weirdo use case of sub + headphones.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Kwolok posted:

You need to activate "Stereo Mix" to have your primary output device also be a virtual input device. Then you set your second output device to "listen to this device" on the stereo mix options.
It randomly stopps working sometimes though.

The saner way is to install a third party audio splitter sorftware. Like VoiceMeeter.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Not the thread for this, dingdongs

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

VictualSquid posted:

You need to activate "Stereo Mix" to have your primary output device also be a virtual input device. Then you set your second output device to "listen to this device" on the stereo mix options.
It randomly stopps working sometimes though.

The saner way is to install a third party audio splitter sorftware. Like VoiceMeeter.

Voicemeeter is a great piece of software but it adds latency. Anyway I appreciate the input but I think I need to be a dipshit and buy more dumb audiophile poo poo to get the experience I want. So there you go OP, more dumb audiophile poo poo.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Mr. Mercury posted:

Not the thread for this, dingdongs

Meh if it's helping people whatever. Then we can go back to discussing how using a titanium weight at the top of his butkicker amp helps the kerb feel more realistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.tomshardware.com/networ...ignores-reality

A new three-port network switch designed for audiophiles has become available to purchase. Priced at an astronomical $4,349, the Innuos PhoenixNET comes with a multitude of eyebrow-raising audio quality claims about signal purity, low noise, better instrument separation, and enhanced realism. However, adding insult to our already injured intelligence, this premium-priced switch offers paltry 100 Mbps performance, as it the company claims that older / slower technology “results in lower operating noise floor compared to Gigabit.”