Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I've gotten better results from this thread by using a power cleaner on my wireless router. Try that.

Wireless? You gotta run platinum plated cat 8 cable if you want any spark to the burns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Stereophile is amateur poo poo compared to The Absolute Sound

(from their list of best music NAS/servers of 2023)

Wait, what does it actually do (aside from nothing obviously)? Pitch correction without altering speed is not exactly simple stuff, and even then you'd need to know how much to correct, unless you just assume everything is in A440, which doesn't work for classical for dumb reasons and some classic rock for laziness reasons.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

Looking it up, seems like it does alter the speed, and just assumes everything is A440. You can't expect something fancy for a mere $7500

That's incredible! And also, since it slows it down, that's technically reducing the amount of signal per second. Not to mention that you could get the same result by fiddling very slightly with your turntable. I'm a heathen streamer, but I think most of them have ways to slightly correct speed?

And let's not even mention that half the point of A432 is the timbre of the instruments, which would not be affected by slowing.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I actually bothered to read the review. The guy clearly doesn't understand computers, and the manufacturer strikes me as a grifter (since he knows something presumably). But I'm the sort of nerd who finds tunings interesting, and this guy also clearly doesn't get how they work either. He seems to think that all music is performed at A440, in accordance with ISO 16. This is very much not the case for classical music. And even if there are a few options, who knows what tuning their music is played in?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

Probably, she and Finneas (sp?) are pretty infamously literal bedroom producers

I've also read many times that most artists will just listen to the final mix on their phone and engineers will check their work on lovely car stereos. So if you want the true studio experience, buy some airpods and a 2010 Nissan Sentra lol

If you're mastering a track, you want to hear how it's supposed to sound, but also how the typical use case sounds, which means car stereo, Bluetooth speakers and headphones. It makes sense to hear your work on both the studio monitors and the user gear to make sure it actually performs reasonably for most audiences.

Also with technology nowadays, it's common to just record guitars and keyboards as just the raw signal played to either a click or a dummy live recording and then apply effects in post and smush all the bits together. Vocals mostly just need a good mic and a room with low reverb, which incidentally could be a bedroom.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Is the splitter made from Aztec gold? It will bleed if it was not properly debled by conquistadors.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Stupid as this is, for guitar stuff, I'm vastly more sympathetic. Creating distortion in a specific and pleasing way is much closer to art in 2023 than fidelity is.

I agree with this, and I also want to add that it's the creative trial and error work that warrants the price for boutique effects, not the actual components. It's kinda like pharma research, but less morally questionable because no one needs this stuff to live.

Grassy Knowles posted:

I will install audiophile grade token ring and appletalk networks for a relative pittance compared to The Other Guys

I don't think you understand how the audiophile mind works. The high price is the main ingredient in the soundstage. If I just buy a regular switch, which works exactly like this, my listening experience will be borderline traumatic. If you want to compete, you gotta be more expensive and more verbose.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Palladium posted:

i only order in bulk

Oh, in that case it's 50 bucks for a 20pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

it’s the same as the guys that drink colloidal silver or do crystal healing, etc

Hey, colloidal silver actually has a real effect. On your skin tone. But probably also on your health because of heavy metal poisoning. Audiophilia is entirely bullshit throwing money after something you can never achieve, which is actually probably the feeling you got the first time you really heard a guitar solo.