Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

death cob for cutie posted:

eight thousand dollars for a six foot cord

Hey, some people just can't afford good sound.

There's nothing *technically wrong* with listening to music through gear with its power routed to it through unoptimized power cables. Just don't come complaining to me when your $785,000 audio solution system sounds like a clock radio from wal-mart because you wanted to save a few pennies.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I believe in this case they're referring to listening to bits of kit rather than music? You 'audition' a set of speakers etc...

There's a bit to unpack with the "auditioning music" statement.

Audiophiles do mean "audition music" in the literal sense because what they're doing is trying out different pieces of music to see which specific tracks make their stereo systems sound best, vs which tracks are simply too primitive and unrefined to be permitted to reach their delicate and sophisticated aural palates that are obviously better than everyone else’s and therefore deserve to be protected from poor mixes resulting in harsh sibilants, flat muddy mids, tubby bass, and lifeless transients only fit for commoners and livestock. The kind of music they listen to doesn't actually matter to them because, again, these people don't actually care about music. All that matters to them is the experience of hearing a highly expensive system they have convinced themselves produces "very fine" sound, no matter what that sound might be specifically.

As the saying goes, most people use gear to listen to music, but audiophiles use music to listen to gear.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 19, 2023

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

IPv6 is a scam to make your music worse, look how much bigger those addresses are! That’s bitspace that can and should be used for audio.

My audiophile IPv4 NAT will sound far warmer. $8000 - Supports 3 clients.
$10000 - Supports 7 clients
Larger needs? Email me and we can work something out.

Not sure how anyone would think your NAT client could sound warm if you're splitting (i.e. "watering down") the signal like that with multiple client support.

My solution on the other hand costs $8,000 and supports only 1 client, so all the data is concentrated towards a single listener. That's how you know it's of higher quality.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 27, 2023

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

repiv posted:

apparently LG is still cheaping out by putting 10/100 NICs in their expensive OLED TVs, it's an actual problem for linux ISO enthusiasts because streaming raw 4K bluray rips over the network can saturate a 100mbit link

I mean... sorry for the grognard comment here but no TV manufactured these days with their closed source OS's and built-in mics + cameras facing your living room should ever be directly connected to your home network and therefore the internet anyway.

If you need to stream tons of Linux ISOs that have been converted to video format to your expensive state of the art OLED TV, go ahead and spend just a bit more and get a raspberry Pi or something and connect it via HDMI.

Hell just being able to connect a wireless keyboard to type on instead of having to use those alphabetically ordered on-screen keyboards you see in modern TV OS's that you have to use with a remote that has a built-in 2 second delay between key press and something happening on screen would be worth the cost alone.

Running power to the raspberry PI might interfere with the signal purity of your two $10,000 power cables' integrated resonance crystals though (each one powering one of a pair of highly sensitive monoblock tube poweramps of course), just something to consider.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 14, 2023

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

I would tilt up a bit and lay down on the side of the speakers. At a 33 degree angle from horizontal, head pointed downward, the soundstage will really open up.

Are you being serious right now? Tilting a speaker is pretty much the best way I know to throw off the delicate balance of electron flow. That's the whole reason circuit boards are usually mounted either flat or perpendicular to the ground (preferably flat), so gravity and the earth's magnetism has uniform pull on each bit of the inner circuitry's de-oxidized gold lines and components.

Christ it's like you people have never even heard of Audiophile Quarterly's best articles OR their patented proprietary monoblock power amplifier gravity uniformifying leveling apparatus (called the MPAGULA™) you can buy for $599 each.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 20, 2023

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

Arrived today. £100 on Amazon. Sounds fantastic on my gaming rig. Absolute bargain. So - you see - enjoying laughing at idiotic audiophiles wasting a fortune on crap can actually net you some cool stuff at a great price!

Excuse me are those tone knobs? You do realize how many additional components each control adds to the circuitry, thereby adding unnecessary impedance load to the signal which practically destroys the delicate upper harmonics, and you have two of them?

Do people not care about anything anymore? This used to be a country.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Slash posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMAu_mCxoII

New Linus video has some amazing audiophile nonsense products.

Well of course these philistines can't appreciate the vast improvements the products in the video provide. For one, they don't have the years of critical listening experience required to detect the differences these products make, which are honestly massive according to the tests I conducted with them in my own laboratory. These are powerful tools that operate at the highest echelons of human sensory perception, so of course a bunch of video gamers who play Fortnite listening on Beats headphones, or worse, a Bose system, won't be able to detect the improvements made by these top quality instruments of audio integrity preservation.

“Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces." - Matthew 7:6

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 21, 2023

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

Think about all the veils that will be lifted when you clean all your SACDs with this audiophile microfiber cloth:

Did anybody catch the end of the description where it mentions that the guy who made this thing also makes an audiophile fuse (called The Critical Link), too?

I’m such a fool. I had no idea you could get fuses that improved headroom and increased clarity in the transients!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 31, 2023

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
He wasn’t even a true audiophile, he had the audacity to build his own equipment.

How can they possibly be the best sounding speakers in the world if they don’t even have a brand logo on them so you can know for sure you paid for the best?

Also, check out the photos of that stereo system in the article. Imagine losing your entire family over a stereo system that doesn’t even have cable lifters.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 13, 2024

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

stealie72 posted:

I know that for most of these guys they may as well be listening to test tones, but I kept thinking "for all that money and effort, you could have seen all the world's best orchestras in all the best concert halls, and instead you got is a divorce and estranged children."

lol imagine wanting to listen to the best orchestra in the world in a likely imperfectly treated room, not even mic'd and amplified through the most expensive equipment money can buy.

I'd much rather listen to them on a perfectly configured and tuned system where you can close your eyes and feel like you're right there listening to them in the room playing just for you.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

lol if you use the lovely electricity that the power company gives you instead of buying an audiophile-grade generator which gives you perfectly balanced electricity

This reminds me of that documentary about Japanese audiophiles a while back, where some Japanese guy had the city install an actual fully functional power line, big wooden pole and all, right in front of his house, so he could wire it directly to a single outlet in his listening room for his stereo, which would then be freed from the pollution of all those other electronically noisy devices in his house. His listening room was not treated at all by the way, it was entirely wooden with only like a tiny rug for his chair, and sounded like a tile bathroom.

Either way, I guess he didn’t realize he could have just bought a small isolation transformer to plug his stereo into from pretty much any hardware store, a gadget about the size of a shoe box, that you can just plug into any old outlet and accomplish the exact same thing as the dedicated power pole, but for only like $150 lol.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
It’s because room treatment is something even normies can actually hear. If something is actually perceptible to people outside the Special Big Boy Sounds Only My Golden Ears Can Hear Club, it’s not worth lowering one’s self to be bothered with.

edit: vvv that's the one!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 31, 2024