Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
gently caress you, don’t diss the Dan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

I once put on a not-particularly-high bitrate MP3 of "Nasty Ways" in a hifi shop because I wanted to see what sibilance sounded like on their speakers and the snares are way too hot on that track. The staff was not amused [but also the speakers were too bright]. They loved the long mix of Orbital's "The Box" I brought, though, it's my go-to new gear track because it has pretty much everything in it.

I've found a few acts I like from reading audio gear reviews, Anna von Hausswolff in particular. But yeah, most of it is dadrock/granddadrock, breathy female vocalists, some specific Mahler recording and occasionally Random Access Memories by Daft Punk.

lol if you don’t test your transients and dynamic range with Death Grips, E40, and the Tron Legacy soundtrack

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Samsung’s gonna wind up killing JBL before the end of the decade

mark my words :smith:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

IIRC it’s actually Harman’s best performing brand by miles, especially the retro styled stuff. It’s far more likely they’ll keep the name and just make increasingly worse products. Unless that’s what you meant by “kill”

yes, that’s what I meant

they’re going to kill the JBL that makes actual speakers, rendering it a company that only makes bluetooth dealies that light up

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kwolok posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this in, but I have a nice pair of headphones powered through a DAC and AMP. I also have a subwoofer for bass that I run from the same AMP. So I have a 1/4" splitter that splits the AMP output with one going to my headphones and one going to my woofer.

This works well, however I have noticed that I get bleed across my left and right channels when my subwoofer is plugged into the splitter, but when I unplug the subwoofer, the audio bleed in my headphones no longer occurs. Any idea how I can fix this?

how charged are your crystals?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Palladium posted:

https://cheaptubeaudio.blogspot.com/2022/10/aiyima-a08-pro.html

Amazing how this guy can go "this cheapo Chinese Class-D chip amp is just-as-good or better than my megabuck tubes" without also going "maybe my cable tweaks are bullshit".

lol you found Mederlock’s blog?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

codo27 posted:

If you had to choose between mounting a set of studio monitors above the computer monitors, pointing down, or underneath them and laid on their side, tilted up a bit, which would you choose? I have a secondary and tertiary display, one to the left of my main in portrait style, and another above the main. I'd like to have them all side by side, but thats impossible with my speakers where they are.

gonna ask you the same thing I ask everybody who posts a query here: how charged are your crystals right now? how charged do you keep them?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

Arrived today. £100 on Amazon. Sounds fantastic on my gaming rig. Absolute bargain. So - you see - enjoying laughing at idiotic audiophiles wasting a fortune on crap can actually net you some cool stuff at a great price!

Aiyima don't live here no more

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
the only tone knob that you're allowed to touch in this thread is the one that charges your crystals

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Arivia posted:

Honest question. As someone who doesn’t know poo poo about audio equipment besides basic consumer connections and what a volume knob does (I don’t even know how to use an equalizer), what do tone knobs do?

they charge your crystals, duh (honest answer: depends on the piece of gear and the manufacturer and the underlying functionality of the knob in question, whether it controls one element or part of the frequency range or whether it’s simply one knob that controls “tone”. Oftentimes it involves changing a frequency curve from a flat response to something more V-shaped or that emphasizes the highs or the lows)

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 20, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
the only true way to achieve balance is to keep your crystals full and your balls empty

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Audiophile Snake Oil and Foolishness Thread 2: ahp Klangtuch IV

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I still think we should start our goon project snake oil company

Goonemaede Audio: Purveyors of the World's Finest Digital Noise Reducers and Soundstage Defoggers

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Meh, after a brand literally called poo poo nothing's funy anymore.

schiit products are mostly fine tho

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well sure, Alibaba can't just ship all bad stuff.

what

what does this post even mean?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I love it when ppl post nonsense accusatory word salad and then peace tf out when asked to substantiate

like, there’s a fuckton of criticisms that you could make about schiit and about their fans, community, design choices, philosophy, etc, but “alibaba product” definitely isn’t one of them

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm ordering them from Alibaba right now. What are you going to do about it?

lol no you aren’t

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
my name is Ozymandias, king of kings: look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

And if you sit right…here it’s like Diana Krall is in the room with you, the whole soundstage just opens up.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

He wasn’t even a true audiophile, he had the audacity to build his own equipment.

How can they possibly be the best sounding speakers in the world if they don’t even have a brand logo on them so you can know for sure you paid for the best?

Also, check out the photos of that stereo system in the article. Imagine losing your entire family over a stereo system that doesn’t even have cable lifters.

lol you fool

he had like five teenagers

that concrete slab that they poured?

let’s just say that that whole house is a supercharged JO crystal

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cannon_Fodder posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > Audiophile Snake Oil: I went to AXPONA last year on mushrooms and told the folks shilling a jet-ski sized amp that it looked like a baby's coffin

It loving has to be

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

I think that's too long but Audiophile Snake Oil: like a baby’s coffin would still be pretty good

ftfy

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ThatOneGuy posted:

Why do I hear this to Rob Zombie -Dragula?

The soundstage is dire
I RE route the wires
And SLAM down some jazz with my MPAGULA!

because that’s the intended joke?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

njsykora posted:

It's a source of constant interest to me to see how many old brands are still owned by something close to not a massive conglomerate. Though I was still surprised when I heard Sharp got bought by Foxconn back in 2015. Atari these days at least seems like they have their poo poo together enough to last 5 years without going bankrupt again. I think of the old Japanese electronics corps it's basically just Sony and Panasonic still standing after Toshiba got eaten by a private equity firm last year.

In times like these it’s important that we continue to give Yamaha as much of our money and business as we can. Gotta keep rewarding them for keeping the fire burning in so many different arenas and doing it world-class when everybody else has either disappeared or withered away into badge engineering

F4rt5 posted:

Yeah like Technicolor are cable modems, and Polaroid is used for… whatever poo poo small electronics too. It’s sad.

stealie72 posted:

Pfft, Polaroid is the leading brand of electronics purchased by grandmothers at non-chain drug stores. I will not stand idly by while you besmirch their name.

At least the Impossible Project guys were able to bring the instant photo company back in some capacity and get ahold of the name. The new cameras they’ve brought out have been really nice too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Audiophile Snake Oil: "this tweak is so amazing that your wife will finally understand"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Guys, we're missing the forest for the trees... We've stumbled on Crystal cult hippies but for your ears...

Time to bust out that old rock polishing toy and make millions.

My amethysts will keep your music humours aligned to musical magnetic North

we’ve discussed this

nobody wants to make Goonemade Audio a thing

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
goon project: we bought Pioneer

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LaserPrinter69 posted:

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/big-performance-from-a-small-theater/

This dude spent $17,000 to condition his room by, surprise surprise, buying a bunch of poo poo that makes absolutely zero difference. This price includes $2,685 on three audiophile grade HDMI cables

it ought to be criminal to make “can afford to build his own house with a home theater” money publishing poo poo like this

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Sourcing to my JDS Atom 2.....is it okay to use the headphone port from my laptop? I feel like I'm screwing something up somewhere. Even my Fiio M8 Pro I blast. Are mine ears bad? Seems like somethings wrong if I have this thing on full blast all the time.

sourcing from the headphone out on the laptop to an external amp kinda defeats the purpose of an external amp, no?

In any case, you’re not sending a line-level signal to the JDS, but instead a signal from the laptop’s internal headphone amplifier. So if your volume is turned down on the computer then that quieter signal is what’s being sent to the JDS.

It’s no different from plugging an aux 3.5mm into a phone or iPod and connecting it to a sound output device like a car stereo: the volume control on the phone/iPod and the volume control in the car work in tandem but they are also separate levels.

Ideally you want to connect the JDS to some kind of USB DAC.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

raccoon.bmp posted:

About half the cost looks to be in milled aluminum and the 20(!) screws to hold the thing together

The site makes me wonder though, do extreme audiophiles not find enjoyment in music unless they buy something new? Every "testimonial" on every audiophile site mentions how dogshit the music sounded before they buy whatever it is, that their $40k sound systems would give them listening fatigue after an hour or two (??) until they got something to sharpen the corners of their 1's and 0's. It's all fake ofc but it paints a grim picture

it’s the same as the guys that drink colloidal silver or do crystal healing, etc

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I've been thinking about getting an older 5 disc carousel changer. I had been planning on getting a Denon, but I've read they are actually bad. I have a Denon AVR, which is good.

I vaguely remember changers that allowed for playback while loading. I want coax out. And I don't want to spend more than $100 or so.

Are there any recs I should look out for? I'm guessing Sony would be okay but I really don't know much about this stuff.

If you’re using digital out they should all be roughly equally as good if you’re not putting like budget brands/models against higher end ones. A transport is just reading data and sending the ones and zeroes to your receiver’s onboard DAC so your metrics are stuff like build quality, motor longevity and performance, the state of any belts and whatnot. Sound quality should not vary at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
lol that’s a real shame. I’ve always kind of been a bit tekton-curious. I think they look spiffy in a TVR sort of way, big scifi looking speakers in bright Lamborghini colors