Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

well why not posted:

The last thread has a baller post about this. Basically, the “audiophile genre” seems to be smooth vocal jazz with a female vocalist. It’s about chasing the “classy” image of having a woman entertain you. The other post was better written.

One of the funnier rooms at an audio show I went to took this idea to an extreme level by having scented candles, and being lit only by candlelight. Later in the day I realized the scented candles were a good idea when I walked into the Andrew Jones MoFi room, and had to immediately exit because it smelled crazy in there.

The white female jazz vocalists that dealers love to use for demo music don't reveal anything useful about how a speaker can reproduce frequencies. All that exists in that genre is "detail."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Think about all the veils that will be lifted when you clean all your SACDs with this audiophile microfiber cloth:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Behold, all the room treatment you need. The HFT from Synergistic Research, which are a bunch of tiny metal dots that you stick on your walls and even your speakers. You won't believe the veils that will be lifted when you stick these bad boys all over your listening room.

Positive Feedback:

quote:

Beyond the above, the overall results were quite startling. When my wife walked into the listening room after the process was finally completed, she made one of those quick jaw dropping expressions and sat down without a word. Nothing more was said. She just wanted to listen to the music without interruption. I understood.

Six Moons:

quote:

Peter had me remove my Stein Music harmonizers and magic stones from my listening room before beginning to place the HFT and FEQ devices, claiming that the two technologies were incompatible.

[...]

Peter began by placing the first pack of five HFT on the front wall behind the speakers just as outlined on the Synergistic Research website. The HFT devices are attached to the wall or other surfaces with the supplied Bostic Blu-Tack or equivalent. The most prominent and readily discernible effect was an expansion of the soundstage laterally and behind the speakers. Concomitant with this was a sense of more air within the soundstage. Peter proceeded to add two more five packs as described in the above link for Level II and III. The soundstage expanded out toward my listening seat and to the sides of the room, following the direction of the HFT placement.

Audiodrom:

quote:

It was with the HFT 2.0s that I literally spent two full days moving them on the walls by 0.5cm increments to all directions before they 'clicked'. But the moment they did, the listening became augmented reality and the soundstage accuracy became almost surreal.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The Absolute Sound published a video on Synergistic Research's fuses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ5rvipm9YM

Michael Fremer himself decided to hop into the comments section to fight back against people refuting the claims that fuses can really have an impact on sound quality, in a very Trumpian voice:

quote:

have you ever sat down and compared fuses to hear if there might possibly be a sonic difference that your knowledge base does not account for but that you are sure you heard? That perhaps could be "blind tested"? That's usually how things are discovered--by observations- closed minds aren't interested...

[...]

I blind tested circuit breakers with large fuses and had the electrical swap between them without letting me know which was which of course and I got 100% correct identifications. didn't do 100 swaps but I heard the same thing each time and knew instantly which was which....

[...]

I'm not averse to A/B testing and I've done it and done very well at the Harman testing facilities. I've done a blind test of a fuse verses a circuit breaker and got 100% correct identifications.

[...]

You are the only on VERY UPSET, putting it in caps. I have done many blind tests and do very well thank you. I did a series at Harman's speaker testing facility in Northridge some years ago and did extremely well. I'm sure far better than you'd do.