Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

death cob for cutie posted:

also, lmao at "auditioning" music

I believe in this case they're referring to listening to bits of kit rather than music? You 'audition' a set of speakers etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Is it audiophile snake oil or foolishness talk if I say I bought an aliexpress DBX PA2 clone and it's honestly fine?

I built a nice Bill Fitzmaurice PA kit over a decade ago now and being broke the kit that did the EQ and limiting was Behringer stuff, a DEQ2496 and a DCX2496. This worked faultlessly and sounded real nice until the power supply on the DCX started playing up and eventually died. If I were still using the kit for the occasional gig I'd absolutely buy a legit PA2 but it has been relegated to a workshop soundsystem so I decided to try a clone safe in the knowledge that my credit card company would refund my £165 in the case of the vendor trying anything.

And I don't know what I can say really, it turned up after a month and the packaging is DBX packaging but without the DBX logo. The unit itself has a sticker where the DBX logo should be and it powers up with a DBX front end and does everything a DBX PA2 does. And audio wise it sounds pretty great, I've not tweaked it, just ran the wizards and set the crossover/delays. I did see a dissection of one of these clones on another site and they mentioned that the capacitors are 'out of spec' and show some testing of the unit which suggests it isn't good but my ears say it's absolutely fine. I know there are various factories making cloned and maybe I got a unit from a good one :shrug:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Wasn't Pioneer DJ's stuff pretty well-regarded? More than their general electronics stuff these days, anyway, even if you were kind of paying for a brand name on an OEM Technics-like.

As mentioned it's industry standard but in terms of actual innovation and such they've done gently caress all impressive for a long time and other companies such as Denon, Numark and Rane have been eating up their market in terms of the home gamer for a while now. Not only because these other companies have been doing some cool stuff but also because there's less of a brand name price mark up. Seeing as Pioneer can't exactly patent the idea of a CDJ/mixer or really how one works you don't need to buy a top of the line Pioneer setup in order to know how to use one if you ever get in a club.

They've also struggled with manufacturing, firmware, software... They seem to have had a bit of a falling from grace tbh.

The rebrand name is a bizarre one even if they've been forced to do so, the name choice sounds like the consultancy company just ran a word search on Internet terms but only on men's rights websites and picked the most popular ones...