Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

New thread timed nicely with an updated version of Stereophile’s Recommended Components list, it comes complete with tier lists which for some reason audio nerds loving love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The true secret to audio bliss is a system that can play 15-60hz real fuckin' loud.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Double post for terrible news: lossy DRM garbage codec MQA was in administration [British for bankruptcy] but got purchased by Lenbrook, owners of Bluesound, NAD and PSB

quote:

Lenbrook Corp., a diversified, privately-owned Canadian enterprise with activities in brand development, technology, and distribution in both residential and commercial audio and the communication sectors, has acquired the assets of MQA, a UK-based industry leader in high-resolution audio encoding.

This acquisition enriches Lenbrook’s intellectual property portfolio with an assortment of significant patents and introduces two prominent audio codecs – MQA and SCL6. This merger further solidifies Lenbrook’s commitment to excellence and innovation in the evolving landscape of audio technology.

“Lenbrook’s vision is of a thriving hi-fi industry where technologies that promote both consumer choice and the pursuit of the highest sound quality are deserving of investment and nurture,” states Gordon Simmonds, Chief Executive Officer of Lenbrook. “We view this acquisition as an opportunity to ensure the technologies developed by the scientists and engineers at MQA continue to serve the industry’s interests rather than be confined to any single brand or company.”

George Massenberg, Grammy winning producer and recording engineer, reacts saying “I’m so relieved that MQA and SCL6 will continue under Lenbrook. MQA’s technology, with its faithful rendering of detail, complexity, and sound stage, gave us the reason to go back into the recording studio and reverse a 20-year decline in the quality of audio delivery methods.”

Founded from the insights and support of record industry executives, recording artists, and audio engineering experts, MQA sought to provide creators with the means to efficiently preserve the detail and nuance of their works in high resolution recorded formats, which at the time pushed directly against the trend toward heavily compressed music.

“I’m delighted that MQA will continue in good hands with Lenbrook,” adds Morten Lindberg, Grammy-nominated Master Engineer at 2L. “For 2L, using MQA has allowed us to enhance the experience of our recordings, beyond the raw capture, with increased access to sonic details, transparency and lower listening fatigue.”

“MQA is the only technology that considers the entire audio signal chain, from studio to listening room, to assure consistent quality of reproduction. The patents and research that underlie MQA represent significant contributions to digital audio quality due to their focus on time domain issues that have not been well understood until recently,” explains Greg Stidsen, Chief Technology Officer of Lenbrook. “We’re determined to continue to develop our marketplace and encourage the possibilities these technologies can achieve.”

Lenbrook has established a position as a stable and well capitalized organization that takes a long-term view of investments and market development. MQA had amassed over 120 licensees and several content partnerships, so Lenbrook’s primary objective in this acquisition was to provide certainty for business and technical developments that were underway prior to MQA’s administration. As a result, Lenbrook retained a core group of engineers and developers and sales and marketing personnel including Andy Dowell, previously the Head of Licensing for MQA, who will continue to lead business development activities.

“As one of MQA’s most significant licensees and also the owner of the award winning BluOS high-res content platform, Lenbrook is well positioned to build on what was started,” reflects Dowell. “Its BluOS platform work has proven that the Lenbrook team understands it takes a certain amount of neutrality to be a licensor, but it can also take a customer view when it comes to the wants and needs from a product development standpoint.”

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I once put on a not-particularly-high bitrate MP3 of "Nasty Ways" in a hifi shop because I wanted to see what sibilance sounded like on their speakers and the snares are way too hot on that track. The staff was not amused [but also the speakers were too bright]. They loved the long mix of Orbital's "The Box" I brought, though, it's my go-to new gear track because it has pretty much everything in it.

I've found a few acts I like from reading audio gear reviews, Anna von Hausswolff in particular. But yeah, most of it is dadrock/granddadrock, breathy female vocalists, some specific Mahler recording and occasionally Random Access Memories by Daft Punk.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I will always laugh at the mental image of Henry Rollins listening to old punk recorded and mixed on a $50 Alesis cassette 4 track on his half million dollar Wilson/McIntosh system.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah Daft Punk also did a slightly different mix for the vinyl master which is catnip for audio magazine writers.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If anyone wants a demo track I’m reading that the Atmos version of The Orb’s Metallic Spheres in Colour is very well done.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

McIntosh unveils the ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯ control on their new $3000 8 band EQ

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Placebo is a hell of a drug.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Wayne Knight posted:

CAUTION!
DSD CANNONS!

Live by high dynamic range, die by high dynamic range. I suspect that's more of a sales tool like when they put big warning labels on energy drinks.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I also would buy it, in a "challenge accepted" kind of way. Also while finding the following image I learned that Bassotronics is still releasing music, at least as of a year ago

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Aw man, Samsung bought Roon. Can't wait for my lifetime subscription to get killed.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

IIRC it’s actually Harman’s best performing brand by miles, especially the retro styled stuff. It’s far more likely they’ll keep the name and just make increasingly worse products. Unless that’s what you meant by “kill”

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The call with the OEM they're having make this must have been hilarious, like " you know we can do all this stuff with like 2 chips and a wall wart, right?"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

They copied the "put a giant toroidal power supply in something that will never need it" trick from Denafrips who started putting them in DACs, you know, those things that can run perfectly off a cell phone.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm scoffing at merely one release of Aja on that list, they should have included at least three. Also laughing at the $100 record brush.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

nielsm posted:

But does it have a subwoofer under the mattress?

It has eight!

I just love the use of the word “seamless” when it’s clearly just some of their [quite good] in-wall speakers mounted in a box. I guess we’re supposed to be too dazzled by the Raf Simmons fabric to notice.

That sure looks like a seam to me.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

death cob for cutie posted:

wait there are absolutely audiophile people who insist Mono Sound Is The True Path, right

I have definitely seen pictures of stereo systems with 3 speakers in the front, the center being for mono recordings. same type of dudes who have a whole separate turntable for 78s instead of just swapping needles

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I bet that thing doesn't even have a moving coil phono input!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think that's too long but Audiophile Snake Oil: I went to AXPONA on mushrooms would still be pretty good

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Luxman still exists [and still looks like 80s/90s gear] but is firmly in the "stupid expensive audiophile stuff" category.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've always thought the audiophile distaste for room treatment was weird, I mean legit stuff not plastic gems you stick to the wall. It's ugly, expensive and complicated which ticks all the usual boxes. I guess because you can't do it properly without using a computer they hate it? If I ever have space for a listening room I'm totally getting it treated professionally.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

raccoon.bmp posted:

The site makes me wonder though, do extreme audiophiles not find enjoyment in music unless they buy something new? Every "testimonial" on every audiophile site mentions how dogshit the music sounded before they buy whatever it is, that their $40k sound systems would give them listening fatigue after an hour or two (??) until they got something to sharpen the corners of their 1's and 0's. It's all fake ofc but it paints a grim picture

A lot of it is hedonic treadmill/chasing the dragon. You have some experience that blows you away then you get used to it because it's your system and you listen to it all the time so all that matters is that thrill of "improvement" [read: placebo and expectation effects] and conveniently there's a whole industry of hucksters promising all these vague improvements and all you have to give them is money! Watch out though, you need to experiment to get the correct pairings and system synergy which requires buying even more stuff.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The only companies still making changers are Yamaha and Onkyo/Integra which means there's probably still parts floating around when something dies [usually the open/close mechanism]. Also make sure your space can fit one, they're very deep.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Here's a fun little thing that's happening: Tekton, makers of giant ugly speakers with too many tweeters, threatened legal action against Erin's Audio Corner over an unflattering review. Erin got scared and pulled the review but the story got out and now it's the hottest topic on most audio forums and Amir has pledged 10k towards his defense if it goes to court.

The other funny thing is apparently Tekton the owner shipped Erin the speakers without the feet installed and the mounting for the feet actually is a hole all the way into the cabinet. So I'm sure that didn't help.

qirex fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 9, 2024

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd probably just annoy all the vendors at a place like that as I tried to play various Warp Records tunes on their six figure systems tuned specifically for Diana Krall and Dire Straits

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Area man forcibly removed from trade show after 35th attempt to play "Original Nuttah"

Subjunctive posted:

That was so good. I really wish Monster had fought that guy.
IMO the best Monster Cable story is Noel Lee's son getting absolutely dunked on by Jimmy Iovine when they were putting together the Beats deal.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Erin published new measurements, found the same thing, Tekton guy seems to be taking it well

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

This is peak small business owner brain, he could have just said "I tune by ear" like nearly every other boutique high end company that makes stuff that measures badly but this guy just can not take the L and now it's definitely harming his company's reputation like someone who owns a coffee shop going viral for stalking a customer who complained about a stale croissant.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ASR really shook a lot of manufacturers when people started sending Amir genuinely high end stuff to test. A company like PS Audio has probably never had a negative review get any traction before because all their coverage is either from pros they send review samples to [and probably know personally in the industry] or owners who are eager to defend their purchase.

I don't love Amir's vibe [the DAC tiers are a joke, the whole "ESS hump" thing] but he's consistent and he knows what he's talking about.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

What Hifi loves using "rhythm" and "organization" in their reviews like there's audio gear that can make the different instrument sounds come out at the wrong speed.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

raccoon.bmp posted:

Dude's talking about an electrical component like he's a zoologist identifying a new species of deep sea fish. I wonder what he thinks goes on in an electrical engineering lab all day.
It's the audiophile quantum state of being both vastly knowledgeable and also easily surprised by dumb garbage that clearly does nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Zeos is still the only one I’ve ever seen go to an audio show and walk out of a room whispering “that sounded terrible.”