Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Mederlock posted:

I do but I'm not a fuckin clown that shells out piles of :10bux: for huge cables. I've just got a reasonable setup for around $1000 all in, and I get pretty stoked when I find a record that is so well recorded and engineered that you can hear the reverberations in the concert hall or hear quieter counterpoint melodies or subtle flourishes from the drummer/bassist and poo poo that you never noticed on dogshit setups.

i don't like my music enough to get a pair of KH120 II even when i can easily afford it

Palladium fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/weiss-dac501-streamer-and-dac-review.48377/

its weird to see apologists on ASR for a $10K all-digital DAC/streamer with subpar analog outs when PCs that can do any DSP/EQ you ever want exist for 1% the price

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Grassy Knowles posted:

I feel like when they say transparent they’re talking about jacket color.

look, your phone's GPS receiver can work with satellite signals that's 0.00000000000001% of a single watt, but the last few meters of the internet? An unsolved problem for audio 1's and 0's

which is why for the best audio quality you need a full unbroken chain of ipv6 with zero NAT

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

repiv posted:

found a pictures of the internals, surprisingly it appears to not just be an off-the-shelf switch PCB bodged in there

im the generic 1 cent cable that somehow doesn't matter in a narrative where everything sonically matters

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
100mbps max devices is still extremely common in the Path of Exile Power over Ethernet market

weird how "i can detect -300db" jitterbugs haven't caught on that yet

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
https://cheaptubeaudio.blogspot.com/2022/10/aiyima-a08-pro.html

Amazing how this guy can go "this cheapo Chinese Class-D chip amp is just-as-good or better than my megabuck tubes" without also going "maybe my cable tweaks are bullshit".

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
i tested continuity on my $7 pair of chinese XLR to 1/4 TRS cables with my multimeter and got 0 ohms on each conductor everytime

complete absolute loving PRAT-less garbage

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

tater_salad posted:

PM Me, prices start at 799 per mat, or 1,299.85 for a pair.

i only order in bulk

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
$6000 headphones that is decidedly inferior in every metric versus a pair of $2000 studio monitors, and somehow even less efficient than passive speakers

which is of course because ASR didn't test it with the accompanying $26000 amp

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah it’s sad to see how few of the name brand companies you could rely on are nothing more than identities now, pushing out crap with no relation to the original company. At some point someone on here will probably own Atari, given everyone else has done by this point.

Japanese brands are next to extinct in home audio outside of a few headphones for a long while now. I don't recall seeing even one plain jane bluetooth SBC speaker made by them.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

GreatGreen posted:

This reminds me of that documentary about Japanese audiophiles a while back, where some Japanese guy had the city install an actual fully functional power line, big wooden pole and all, right in front of his house, so he could wire it directly to a single outlet in his listening room for his stereo, which would then be freed from the pollution of all those other electronically noisy devices in his house. His listening room was not treated at all by the way, it was entirely wooden with only like a tiny rug for his chair, and sounded like a tile bathroom.

Either way, I guess he didn’t realize he could have just bought a small isolation transformer to plug his stereo into from pretty much any hardware store, a gadget about the size of a shoe box, that you can just plug into any old outlet and accomplish the exact same thing as the dedicated power pole, but for only like $150 lol.

what's a separate power line gonna do to the inherent harmonics and noise in the AC? not a darn thing

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ruflux posted:

It actually means definition, so obviously a better quality cable means there's more definition in the music, basic logic.

phoneposting mode now so i dig for the link later

there is a paper where the author modded a CD player to resemble an LP player, yet the audiophiles still went gaga over the warmth even though they listened to an actual CD

or how the MP3 source was overall more preferred over CD which was in turn preferred more over LP when done blind lol

Palladium fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 6, 2024

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
having line-out and headphone out sharing the same form factor has, is and will be an eternal source for confusion

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

auzdark posted:

Is that that 100Mb ethernet unit that was doing the rounds a year or two back? super glad the site doesn't mention any tech info on the wifi and ethernet capabilities (on the router thing too)

so our SSDs can perfectly reconstruct 6 GB/s of digital data from analog voltages with some of the shittiest SNR from NAND cells, but 1411kbps along a CAT6 cable is a complete digital signaling disaster

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Unreal_One posted:

Some hucksters will sell you subpar crystals for $1000, but mine are $5000 a pair, and you get what you pay for. I'd recommend getting 6 pair for a beginner's set up. You can really hear the difference, and if you can't, just sign this statement that you have mediocre hearing and get your full money back!

chinese snake oil peddlers: full money back, you loving noob. you should be saying they aren't hearing any difference because they aren't buying the higher tier oil yet, if they aren't buying keep poor shaming them until they do

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
faithful and competent sound reproduction by drilling completely unnecessary holes into the cabinet

also reminds me even AMD had the common sense to bribe anandtech over the late and sucky phenom 1 than going in the opposite direction lol

Palladium fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 9, 2024

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
guy mad about 2 others guys dared to use bleeding edge speaker testers and followed precise testing instructions directly from klippel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

dc3k posted:

"there seemed to be sort of more meat on the bones"
"voice and the piano gained a liquid-like quality"
"drums had more of a feeling of being one with the acoustic space"

the list of stupid buzzwords is evergrowing

it would be kinda fun (but too much effort) to buy few boxes of 3 cent fuses from ali express, slap stickers on them that say like "euphonic elite" or some garbage, make a basic website with some typical audiophile branding, and send this idiot the $100 version of each and watch him foam about it

one of the funny audiophile things i heard was a chinese guy who went to a chinese audiophile show and sneakily played 128kbps MP3s and everybody there was still "wow this sounds awesome"

Palladium fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 20, 2024