Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I think transients are too harsh through my digital signal chain. I think I need a pair of 100 lb class A mono tube amps (sitting in a rats nest of cables and boxes on the floor on $300 spikes ofc) fed by a soviet tube-run preamp to modulate the sibilance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

stealie72 posted:

I always wonder if these schmucks have opinions on concert halls, and instrument makers, and musicians, but then I remember that they don't generally give a poo poo about the music itself.

I do but I'm not a fuckin clown that shells out piles of :10bux: for huge cables. I've just got a reasonable setup for around $1000 all in, and I get pretty stoked when I find a record that is so well recorded and engineered that you can hear the reverberations in the concert hall or hear quieter counterpoint melodies or subtle flourishes from the drummer/bassist and poo poo that you never noticed on dogshit setups.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

I once put on a not-particularly-high bitrate MP3 of "Nasty Ways" in a hifi shop because I wanted to see what sibilance sounded like on their speakers and the snares are way too hot on that track. The staff was not amused [but also the speakers were too bright]. They loved the long mix of Orbital's "The Box" I brought, though, it's my go-to new gear track because it has pretty much everything in it.

I've found a few acts I like from reading audio gear reviews, Anna von Hausswolff in particular. But yeah, most of it is dadrock/granddadrock, breathy female vocalists, some specific Mahler recording and occasionally Random Access Memories by Daft Punk.

This song is my new favourite track to demo gear on, it's produced really well, it's got lots going on across the frequency range, lots of little details and some diversity in style and mood within the track.

https://twrp.bandcamp.com/track/black-swan-feat-dan-avidan

Plus it gets the hifi shop staff looking over with confusion at first, and then they're usually digging it by the end.

E: switched to the Bandcamp as it sounds better without the YouTube compression and whatever

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 25, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

trilobite terror posted:

lol you found Mederlock’s blog?

ew no

gimme measurements or give me death https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/aiyima-a08-pro-amplifier-review.38720/

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

death cob for cutie posted:

wait there are absolutely audiophile people who insist Mono Sound Is The True Path, right

i think that's vintage hi-fi audiophile territory, yeah

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lowclock posted:

Seriously though, on that Aiyima, wouldn't having the knobs in the middle be neutral, and having them both turned all the way down like that sound like poo poo? I don't see any specs for them anywhere.

Probably, yes. That's how it is on my Fosi Audio amp in the bedroom, any lower than 12 o clock position and it interferes with the harmonics required to charge my crystals

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
ASR exists solely for posts from Amir and like 4 other people who test their gear to a similar standard, the rest of the forum is a complete waste of time.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's always something with these guys

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

Did anybody catch the end of the description where it mentions that the guy who made this thing also makea audiophile fuse (called The Critical Link), too?

I’m such a fool. I had no idea you could get fuses that improved headroom and increased clarity in the transients!

Hey, donchya know that a Hifi system is only as strong as it's weakest link. Imagine not knowing all of the experiences you can take in from your Hifi system when every part of the signal chain, even including the lowliest components such as fuses, is fine tuned to perfection :colbert:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

Erin published new measurements, found the same thing, Tekton guy seems to be taking it well

Reeeaaal big Derek Smart energy from this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I can think of that's remotely congruent with reality is that the cabinet of the speaker isn't braced sufficiently internally, and maybe the puck is dampening out some sympathetic vibrations or harmonics or something