Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

There's a sucker born every minute!

This is the refresh of the Ridicule Audiophiles thread, now with a less-mean title.

Hobbies are fun, but collecting audio gear can mean that you mistake the journey for the destination, or the other way around I'm no philosophy major. Instead of accepting that audio tech has largely left the limits of human perception in the rear-view mirror, the hardcore audiophile sometimes finds a lack of peace in what they own. "Surely," they think "there must be something, some ridiculous amount of money I can throw at the perceived hole in my life where fulfillment should be. There must be something I can buy to squeeze an imperceptibly small amount of perfection out of my speakers/headphones!"

There isn't. And don't call me Shirley.

Seeing a business opportunity, those with... flexible... ethics have marketed snake oil in technologic form. These range from the "plausible-sounding frivolities" to "utter bullshit." This is the place for all of it. Post all of your kilobuck cables, your brilliant pebbles, and jewel-encrusted interconnects. Post all your MQA defenses and arguments about headphones that cost more than a car. This is the place to revel in foolishness!

What to post in this thread:

If you run across absolutely silly products that have no business costing more than a nickel, post it here for people to slap their knees at. If you see some swindler hawking snake oil and you'd like to understand HOW it's snake oil, post here too. This thread is for fun.

What not to post in this thread:
Honest questions about what products you should buy don't belong here. Anyone answering without linking them to the appropriate threads or OP also don't belong here. This is the Merde Menagerie, the Audiophoolery Auditorium, the Bullcrap Coliseum — we post here to laugh, not to be kind to people and validate their trust in us as unbiased community members hoping to steer people away from this! (For real, though, direct them to the right threads. It'll be infinitely more helpful to them and faster too. Also post in those threads too, it'll help keep this thread clean).

The reasoning for this is that buying advice is off-topic, even if being kind and helpful is the Canadian Way™. Just redirect the wayward souls and help in the appropriate threads:
Headphones
Home audio
Quick audio questions
PC Speakers
Turntables/Vinyl

While it's okay to mock products and marketing copy, try to not let yourself get personal with it. General subforum rules apply, and that includes being a jerk to fellow goons!

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Frequent Audiophile misconceptions:

I need an amp!
Not unless you're buying headphones with a ridiculous power requirement.

These sound warmer than my old cables!
Those cables have something wrong with them. Or you. Your equipment isn't supposed to color the signal from point A to point B.

I need an expensive DAC and cables because jitter!
That's been a solved problem for a long time. No you do not.

[more to come, have errands to run]

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 16, 2023

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

the urge to give a joke 6er is immense

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

oh, I was just aimin' for giggles, that's all- I don't think I have it in me to jokeprobe just yet

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

:wtc:

the article posted:

TechDAS Air Force Zero: $550,000 (as reviewed w/Tungsten platter); $500,000 w/Titanium platter
TechDAS founder Hideaki Nishikawa's ultimate analog statement, the Air Force Zero is limited to a production run of just 40 units. Weighing 725.5lb with its ultraheavy main subchassis assembly, it combines rebuilt, new-old-stock, high-torque Papst motors driving multiple massive platters with a customized air-bearing spindle and flywheel. LPs are held in place with a vacuum hold-down system. Using SAT and Graham tonearms and his reference phono cartridges from Lyra and X-quisite, MF found that the Zero "let through each cartridge's timbral and dynamic character while imparting its own unique and immediately recognizable weight, sledgehammer 'slam,' ultragenerous sustain and decay, and the blackest backgrounds I've heard a turntable produce...no other turntable, or none that I've yet reviewed, so effectively sinks unwanted and extraneous noise while passing the musical goods with effortless ease, often in the most subtle and nuanced ways." (Vol.44 No.9 WWW)

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Wrong kind of ground loop

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Also seriously goldmine the last thread. I have read like the entire thing twice because audiophiles ftw.

When I get back from the mountain, I'll poke about and see how this can happen when I get to civilization

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Oh, iirc it's actually because DP made a big to do about using recording techniques and media from the 70s/80s and stuff

Like it's interesting but it definitely appeals to the audiophile ethos big time

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 26, 2023

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Read the OP! You want the headphone thread!

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 8, 2023

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Try the quick audio questions thread, this is where we mock audiophile snake oil

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Not the thread for this, dingdongs

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

That's not a seam, it's a sonic improvement fissure/chamfer assembly, completely different from a seam

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

All things considered, that could have been much worse

Still though, lol

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Digital Signal Processing? Hokum! Balderdash!

Brilliant pebbles and expensive cables? Yes please!

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Friendly reminder to spend more on your family and less on stereo equipment

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 13, 2024

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

There's already a goon audio company

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJJy6VJvSCk

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I mean, your brain is

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

That suit will likely get tossed out of hand, they'll have one hell of a time proving damages

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I would love it if I never had to hear hotel California or fast car ever again at trade show. Give me psych rock or something else, gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Depends on the outlet, I wager.