Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Whats the best shape of rock

Dont come in giving me any of this composition poo poo either I just wanna know shapes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

njsykora posted:

One of those ones that's basically a scalene triangle from above but has a flat bottom, the kind you pick up randomly and keep on your desk because as humans we are naturally inclined to want to show people the cool rock we found.

I gotta get me some more of those i just have these ugly ones that are flat on top but scalene triangles below

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

BonHair posted:

Wireless? You gotta run platinum plated cat 8 cable if you want any spark to the burns

Dont worry I have a whole litter of cat cable

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

What's the new stupid fad, thread

Audiophile NAS, sorry this floor cube requires a bit of understanding to laugh at.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Stereophile is amateur poo poo compared to The Absolute Sound

(from their list of best music NAS/servers of 2023)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

A432 is one of the best audiophile snake oil holes, lyndon larouche was a big proponent so you know it's good poo poo

It’s a healing frequency and LaRouche wanted to heal a nation

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

quote:

What is it about electronic music that makes it impossible for some to stand still?

Why is it that country music makes some want to throw the CD out of the nearest window?

What is it about music made in the frequency of 432 Hz that makes us feel so relaxed?

In this post, we'll explore how this alternative tuning is related to our planet, how it almost became the standard pitch many years ago, why it's popular for healing, and the conspiracy theories behind its oppression.

https://www.binauralbeatsmeditation.com/432-hz-truth-behind-natures-frequency/

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

:lol: you weren't kidding!

Those speakers alone are $200,000 (and are ugly)

they look like they should be next to a dentist's chair

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

tater_salad posted:

Look guys.. I know what router I should buy for wired for my music but when one must go wireless.

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/fidelizer-airstream/

here's a solid quote I got from skimming

I feel like when they say transparent they’re talking about jacket color.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

qirex posted:

Placebo is a hell of a drug.

Great band too

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Palladium posted:

ipv6 with zero NAT

IPv6 is a scam to make your music worse, look how much bigger those addresses are! That’s bitspace that can and should be used for audio.

My audiophile IPv4 NAT will sound far warmer. $8000 - Supports 3 clients.
$10000 - Supports 7 clients
Larger needs? Email me and we can work something out.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

Not sure how anyone would think your NAT client could sound warm if you're splitting (i.e. "watering down") the signal like that with multiple client support.

It’s the same as how the young white lady jazz singer sounds better with a small audience in a smok-filled bar than alone in a daytime coffeeshop.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Accelerated Mobile Pages, how Google stole the news

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Kwolok posted:

This works well, however I have noticed that I get bleed across my left and right channels when my subwoofer is plugged into the splitter, but when I unplug the subwoofer, the audio bleed in my headphones no longer occurs. Any idea how I can fix this?

You may have different goals in the experience that you're seeking, and that's both fine and something you're achieving, but most of us would not consider what you are doing 'working well.'

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Kwolok posted:

So I have this: https://www.microcenter.com/product/608494/buttkicker-gamer2

Largely because I am a loving idiot. But it also makes games way more immersive because when I shoot a gun in game I "FEEL IT". But mostly because I am an idiot.

Anyway this needs to take input from a sound source and only uses the low frequency to drive the kicker. I am not an audiophile really, I just have some nice headphones and a dirt cheap amplifier and DAC, and my AMP only has one output so I wasn't sure what else to do to get the output on my headphones and going into the kicker.

But this is the thread to make fun of stupid poo poo, so here is my stupid poo poo to make fun of lol

So I looked up ‘buttkicker troubleshooting’, being significantly less stupid than this entire exercise so far, and found people recommending using a second soundcard set to mono for the buttkicker. Like in multiple links on the first page of results. There’s your answer so you can stop saying AMP.

Why would I check the internet for answers before going to the audiophile foolishness thread? I don’t think I should try looking for solutions that don’t require effort from others

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

repiv posted:

found a pictures of the internals, surprisingly it appears to not just be an off-the-shelf switch PCB bodged in there

points for effort i guess

i will make this for half that price for anyone who wants it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

qirex posted:

The call with the OEM they're having make this must have been hilarious, like " you know we can do all this stuff with like 2 chips and a wall wart, right?"

I'm not trusting you over Doctor Sean Jacobs

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Palladium posted:

im the generic 1 cent cable that somehow doesn't matter in a narrative where everything sonically matters

I’m the 2000 word diatribe explaining why a generic 1 cent cable actually has a better sonic plenum than the expensive ones, after we cull the 30% that don’t meet our standards

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

repiv posted:

after that, audiophile token ring networking

I will install audiophile grade token ring and appletalk networks for a relative pittance compared to The Other Guys

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Solar flares = bit flips

Why would a hierarchical star ever make sense?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

BonHair posted:

I agree with this, and I also want to add that it's the creative trial and error work that warrants the price for boutique effects, not the actual components. It's kinda like pharma research, but less morally questionable because no one needs this stuff to live.

I don't think you understand how the audiophile mind works. The high price is the main ingredient in the soundstage. If I just buy a regular switch, which works exactly like this, my listening experience will be borderline traumatic. If you want to compete, you gotta be more expensive and more verbose.

I'm here for the poseurs, it's really closer to charity the prices I work at.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Savior Beds and KEF is the only collaboration that bed will ever see

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

codo27 posted:

If you had to choose between mounting a set of studio monitors above the computer monitors, pointing down, or underneath them and laid on their side, tilted up a bit, which would you choose? I have a secondary and tertiary display, one to the left of my main in portrait style, and another above the main. I'd like to have them all side by side, but thats impossible with my speakers where they are.

I would tilt up a bit and lay down on the side of the speakers. At a 33 degree angle from horizontal, head pointed downward, the soundstage will really open up.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

Are you being serious right now? Tilting a speaker is pretty much the best way I know to throw off the delicate balance of electron flow. That's the whole reason circuit boards are usually mounted either flat or perpendicular to the ground (preferably flat), so gravity and the earth's magnetism has uniform pull on each bit of the inner circuitry's de-oxidized gold lines and components.

Christ it's like you people have never even heard of Audiophile Quarterly's best articles OR their patented proprietary monoblock power amplifier gravity uniformifying leveling apparatus (called the MPAGULA™) you can buy for $599 each.

Of course I’m being serious you loving fool. I didn’t say tilt the speaker, I say tilt the listener. A wedge pillow filled with rose quartz, atop the speaker for the listener to lay on, feet in the air. For someone talking about Audiophile Quarterly curious you could’ve missed the Spring ‘93 cover story featuring the pillows or the Summer ‘07 article where they investigated replacing the pillow foam with different rocks and minerals.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

November was real bad for my setup. I wasn't able to charge my crystals for the whole month and I could definitely tell the difference. Once December 1 came, though? Some real good sound

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

pocket pool posted:

You can't put a price on PRIDE OF OWNERSHIP.

I can. I’ll sell you my POO for $10k.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

How much iron does a person need to consume to emit a ferrofluid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Slash posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMAu_mCxoII

New Linus video has some amazing audiophile nonsense products.

Linus is way dumber than the scam artists