Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Analogue gives you significantly finer control over the car. Swapping to stick made playing the Stingray much easier, and this is coming from a huge d-pad snob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

I like the wild goose.

That's it that's my post

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Hey I finally placed first!

But it was on Silence in the GP so it didn't really count. But it felt good.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Hey I finally placed first!

But it was on Silence in the GP so it didn't really count. But it felt good.

I've placed first 3 times on Silence GP now, and nowhere else. :negative:

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Novasol posted:

I've placed first 3 times on Silence GP now, and nowhere else. :negative:

Yeah, I'm finding I do much better on that course than anywhere else. I have to credit that to my experience with the original game.

I hope the later cups end up in the game so I can see if my course familiarity translates to the harder courses as well.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Got first one time on Big Blue, but my highest overall GP has been 5th. Enjoying using the Wild Goose as I just loving ram through everyone else in a crowd.

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

I like the wild goose.

That's it that's my post

:hfive:

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Hopefully we can get a F-Zero X 99 as well.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I’m glad they didn’t gently caress with the music. They are all timeless classics that still hold up. Many, many hours spent playing this back in the day on a rainy afternoon mastering these tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ise3eGYFWHA

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Vintersorg posted:

I’m glad they didn’t gently caress with the music. They are all timeless classics that still hold up. Many, many hours spent playing this back in the day on a rainy afternoon mastering these tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ise3eGYFWHA

Yeah I always hate when I'm playing some port or remaster of a game I love only to find all the music has been "upgraded" the concept of music needing to be upgraded or remastered is bizarre to me. there are exceptions like final fantasy 7 remake and links awakening remake, though every other final fantasy remaster pulled the music remaster crap.

anyway being able to pallet swap these cars is like a lost childhood dream.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

runaway dog posted:

Yeah I always hate when I'm playing some port or remaster of a game I love only to find all the music has been "upgraded" the concept of music needing to be upgraded or remastered is bizarre to me. there are exceptions like final fantasy 7 remake and links awakening remake, though every other final fantasy remaster pulled the music remaster crap.

The latest Final Fantasy remasters let you choose between arranged and the originals, though.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

The latest Final Fantasy remasters let you choose between arranged and the originals, though.

yeah but back in the day they didn't, iirc the 10 remaster was the first time they did it, shouldn't have said every

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

And those remasters were supervised by Uematsu, I've only played the 6 remaster but the new arrangements feel very much on purpose and not "throw in extra noises for some deluxe feel."

Oddly enough, playing FF Legends (mobile game), I'm enjoying the chiptune version of the soundtrack over the modern stuff.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Yeah I love Uematsu and it's cool that he supervised them, I still prefer the originals, the music in their original form is a large part of my love and nostalgia for the series.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

the original snes tracks are still beautiful compositions for the "instruments" they were written for, and it does kinda sorta feel like sometimes they get thought of as lesser music compared to an arrangement played by an orchestra.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Can’t believe there’s people picking anything other then Blue Falcon, how could you ever betray the CAPTAIN smh

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Did two GPs where the top player was level 44 and 46 and they both took first in each race and it wasn't even close.

People aren't hacking this already, right??

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Inzombiac posted:

Did two GPs where the top player was level 44 and 46 and they both took first in each race and it wasn't even close.

People aren't hacking this already, right??

Some people are just really, really good. I was watching a guy on twitch yesterday who was a WR speedrunner for the SNES version, he already had over 100 1st place finishes (the pilot card stops counting at 99) and would just effortlessly dominate races.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah this game takes serious skill. I don't know if I'll ever be 1st without a fair amount of luck, but I'm certainly not going to practice enough to get there. But surviving to the end of a GP is enough for me. I really need to practice Silence...

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

how in the world are you supposed to take the double hairpin in silence at any appreciable speed anyway, i slam facefirst into the guardrail every time i try it

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just checked out the records screen for the first time. Love the breakdown of wins by mode and machine. Just can't do well on the hard tracks with fire scorpion, it seems

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
There is one thing that annoys me: in GP, if you crash or rank out at the end of the race, you are locked into spectator mode until the next race starts, which I feel is irritating.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EightFlyingCars posted:

how in the world are you supposed to take the double hairpin in silence at any appreciable speed anyway, i slam facefirst into the guardrail every time i try it

In the SNES version the most consistent way to take it at high speed was to take take a 90 degree left around the first part of the turn, slam into the wall in front of you, which would cause you to slide to the left and then push the gas right as you got the right line.

In this one you'll get slammed into too often if you try that so I think the best way to handle it is to take it slow around the first part and then cut through the wall a little bit to stay out of traffic and not end up slammed into a wall.

I finally got first in Mute City... but it was in a GP so the game still will not recognize I have won an F-Zero 99. Soon.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

This game is astonishingly good, I'm just glad they released any new F-Zero game. How's the meta shaking out for this one, so far? In my experience the tier list is looking like Golden Fox>Wild Goose=Fire Stingray>Blue Falcon. But who knows, I'm only at B-.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Youremother posted:

This game is astonishingly good, I'm just glad they released any new F-Zero game. How's the meta shaking out for this one, so far? In my experience the tier list is looking like Golden Fox>Wild Goose=Fire Stingray>Blue Falcon. But who knows, I'm only at B-.

Golden Fox has great acceleration that can let you take the lead early on which keeps you out of trouble, if you can keep it. It is a slow car though, so you need to boost constantly to keep it, which puts you at risk of blowing up. Still it has a great recovery so you can easily get the most bang out of that boost.

It's what I drive and I think it's helped my survivability to unlock things as long as I race carefully. I'm not convinced it's the best. Single-player SNES game, Fire Stingray was the best car. But it's only as good as you are a driver. With so many obstacles, it really loses out in efficacy. I think Wild Goose's durability really helps it shine. It may not recover quick, but it's fast and can just punch through people like nothing else.

I've made my opinions on the Blue Falcon known.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

That works out to my experiences driving each car, I've settled on Golden Fox because I'm a boost addict from too many years of GX and keep blowing myself up otherwise. Golden Fox is "high risk high reward" and Wild Goose is "low risk/reward", with Fire Stingray and Blue Falcon kind of middling about. Blue Falcon is struggling really badly with Jack of All Trades Syndrome and I haven't seen a lot of people in my tier take it to success.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Wild Goose is like being the old dude in the pit at an all ages punk show. I am the obstacle.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I really suck with the cars with lower grip so Blue Falcon and Golden fox are mysteries to me. I have no idea how you can deal with them on the harder tracks.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

finally beat my first GP! got 10th place with the falcon

looking through the leaderboards there are no falcons in like the top 10 so yeah, it must be kind of meh. I've been doing pretty well with it but maybe I should start experimenting with the others...

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Got 1st place a couple of days ago and haven’t been able to reach that high since :argh:

The coolest paint job is hidden behind getting 1st place!! as it should be

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I really like team battles! It feels really aggressive and awesome to be in the top 20. I dig this game so much.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

runaway dog posted:

anyway being able to pallet swap these cars is like a lost childhood dream.

I saw SMRPG remake lets you swap on the fly mid-track between the original soundtrack and the new orchestral one, super cool

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
Wild goose is definitely where it's at, was stubbornly trying to go fire stingray but not getting jacked around constantly is too hard to pass up.

I love the immediate turn around from 'oh poo poo I crashed out' to 'hell yes I'm a lucky bumper'

EDIT: Group/clan functionality when???

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I get pretty frustrated by how often a red bumper will just wander into my line as I'm making a corner and blast me into the wall. It's not quite as bad as the original SNES game where they're magnetized to you, but when just one tap more or less ends your chances of even a top 20 finish it is really frustrating to have one drift into your path and be unable to evade it.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Der-Wreck posted:

Got 1st place a couple of days ago and haven’t been able to reach that high since :argh:

The coolest paint job is hidden behind getting 1st place!! as it should be

How are you playing on a CRT? I assume there's a nice scaler or converter used.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I've been loving this game. I've managed to get one first place finish in the regular 99 mode, which felt great. I've only been able to finish a Grand Prix a single time, though. I always seem to overextend myself at some point and end up crashing out.

I've yet to play as anything other than the Golden Fox. I only picked it because it was my favorite back on the SNES version, but I really like the way it feels to control. It's a good morale boost to always be at the front of the pack at the start of a race too.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Pigma_Micron posted:

How are you playing on a CRT? I assume there's a nice scaler or converter used.

I have a HDMI to RCA converter I’m using. Seems appropriate to play F-Zero 99 on the CRT!

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Snake Maze posted:

Some people are just really, really good. I was watching a guy on twitch yesterday who was a WR speedrunner for the SNES version, he already had over 100 1st place finishes (the pilot card stops counting at 99) and would just effortlessly dominate races.

Some people are definitely really good, and a lot more are pretty bad. But it seems to me like there would also be a tendency for race leaders to run away with it, because the further away from the pack you are, the less chip damage you take over the course of each lap, which means more boost potential. I guess you get less skyway and chances for KO's so maybe it kinda balances out, I dunno

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

super fart shooter posted:

Some people are definitely really good, and a lot more are pretty bad. But it seems to me like there would also be a tendency for race leaders to run away with it, because the further away from the pack you are, the less chip damage you take over the course of each lap, which means more boost potential. I guess you get less skyway and chances for KO's so maybe it kinda balances out, I dunno

this is absolutely accurate. you gotta get out front asap or you will never get there unless you are on a track like silence or port town 2 where most people can't drive at all. if you are not top 10 by the time you get to the actual track on mute city or death wind, you are never ever going to get into the top 10.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

this is absolutely accurate. you gotta get out front asap or you will never get there unless you are on a track like silence or port town 2 where most people can't drive at all. if you are not top 10 by the time you get to the actual track on mute city or death wind, you are never ever going to get into the top 10.

I've been playing the stingray since the game dropped, but this is making me reconsider. The slow acceleration curve means you can never really get a good position on the run up to the first lap. Although I think it's still good in practice mode since you can just boost right off the starting line

Does anyone know what that colored bar thing is that appears on the bottom left? Some network connection thing I assume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

I don't think I'd say never - i've started around 20-30 coming out the start and eventually get in the top 10. Aggressive use of boost, luck collecting sparks to boost ahead and you're there. Take turns tight as a hell and you'll be ahead of the pack.